What do we think of The Biggest Loser?

Options
So I'm indulging in my guilty pleasure of watching The Biggest Loser (while eating a bowl of chips and salsa. Lol) and we all know this isn't real life. Few people can work out for at least 2 hrs per day with crazy good trainer and a controlled diet that's handed to you. And they have a lot to lose so pulling big numbers is doable. But seriously - people are creating over losing ONLY 6 lbs for the 6th week in a row. What do you think of this all? I love seeing the before/after of these folks - it makes it seem like drastic changes are possible for anyone. But at the same time it seems pretty realistic with such big losses being posted. What so you think - is the show inspiring or part of the problem of setting unrealistic expectations for people on their weight loss journey?

Replies

• EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i would have to say it is probably an individual issue on opinions. i personally think it is crazy to lose it so fast and so much, then most if not all gain it back, because they are not exercising 8 hours a day and have food prepared for them. they are not taught the skills to make it life long. jmo
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Australia is doing currently doing a Biggest Loser - transformed. They have chosen people who do not necessarily have a lot of weight to lose in comparison to prior year contestants. For instance one of the contestant's start weight was 78kgs. This contestant was allowing her weight to ruin her life...no swimwear on beach, her husband hadn't seen her naked in some time, her confidence terribly low etc.

I don't mind it, but it is frustrating to watch relatively low weight people (when compared to prior year contestants) lamenting their 'low' weight losses.

They are eliminating people at a rate of two a week I think, because they will be focusing/televising on the final six when they go for a period of time before the final. There are weigh in eliminations where the losing team's three lowest weight losers have to battle it out...the loser gets to go home. There are other eliminations that are based on voting by the losing team of a challenge for instance.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/ten-questions-the-biggest-loser-transformed-shannon-ponton/news-story/10f7a37037f58b497324065c43d92653

It’s a while since we saw The Biggest Loser. What has changed?

The entire series has been overhauled. This is The Biggest Loser Transformed and right from the outset you’ll notice a massive change in the series. Contestants are much smaller in size and weight and this creates a more engaging series. There are lessons on physiology, nutrition and cooking, which empower people at home.

How are the contestants different?

They are a lot smaller both in weight and in size. Being uncomfortable in your own skin is not done pro rata. If you’re 5kg overweight and uncomfortable, it’s the same as being 50kg overweight and uncomfortable. Unfortunately, a lot of our contestants have deep-seated physiological issues associated with their weight.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Australia is doing currently doing a Biggest Loser - transformed. They have chosen people who do not necessarily have a lot of weight to lose in comparison to prior year contestants. For instance one of the contestant's start weight was 78kgs. This contestant was allowing her weight to ruin her life...no swimwear on beach, her husband hadn't seen her naked in some time, her confidence terribly low etc.

I don't mind it, but it is frustrating to watch relatively low weight people (when compared to prior year contestants) lamenting their 'low' weight losses.

They are eliminating people at a rate of two a week I think, because they will be focusing/televising on the final six when they go for a period of time before the final. There are weigh in eliminations where the losing team's three lowest weight losers have to battle it out...the loser gets to go home. There are other eliminations that are based on voting by the losing team of a challenge for instance.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/ten-questions-the-biggest-loser-transformed-shannon-ponton/news-story/10f7a37037f58b497324065c43d92653

The entire series has been overhauled. This is The Biggest Loser Transformed and right from the outset you’ll notice a massive change in the series. Contestants are much smaller in size and weight and this creates a more engaging series. There are lessons on physiology, nutrition and cooking, which empower people at home.

They are a lot smaller both in weight and in size. Being uncomfortable in your own skin is not done pro rata. If you’re 5kg overweight and uncomfortable, it’s the same as being 50kg overweight and uncomfortable. Unfortunately, a lot of our contestants have deep-seated physiological issues associated with their weight.

Funny that it got shafted to day time TV though as ratings were rubbish!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

They used to have UK biggest loser but contestants 'only' lost 2 or 3 lbs a week so it got shelved after a couple of series.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    you are right its not realistic for us in the real world and you are also right it is inspiring to some degree. As far as losing large amounts of weight go, I am doing low carb high fat and in the beginning (over a year ago) I was losing 3 to 4 pounds a week without exercise. I had a lot to lose so that may be a factor. My son tried to get us on that show. But at 350 and 375 I dont think we were big enough
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't enjoy reality TV. Too much drama for my taste. It's entertainment, like anything else. If only people were not so naive to believe that these extreme measures are how weight loss works, they would probably be less reluctant to do something about their own weight, but hey, sustainable loss with boring advice does not make for a good reality show. I would not blame it on the networks, though. Inspiring realistic change is not their job. Their job is to provide entertainment in exchange for profit. I just wish people would understand that.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Yeap, no 'real' drama, no big losses, people complaining on social media re the size/weight of contestants, etc etc. I am enjoying it, but it is lacking something
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    What so you think - is the show inspiring or part of the problem of setting unrealistic expectations for people on their weight loss journey?

I think it is sensational and promotes unrealistic, unhealthy weight loss expectations for viewers.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It's not a sustainable approach to losing weight the contestants were more than a hundred pounds overweight and they were eating at 1200 calories, working out for 90 minutes a day for 6 days, and were expected to lose a lot of weight in an unhealthy manner. Some people from a blog I once read were given laxatives as well, and the workouts weren't doesn't sound like something that someone at the weight they were in would be good for the joints they had.

Secondly, it didn't help it with their metabolism either in many instances when they returned back to their normal life they ended up gaining the weight back. Some were eating the calories they needed for their height and weight but still kept gaining weight because their body was used to eating 1200 calories a day and I'm not sure if this is the bet calories since they were also working out. It never said if they were eating back the calories they burned off, so t could've been less. Doing this for a lot period of time doesn't help the metabolism. I remember a research article came our about this last year can't find the exact one, but someone did summarize the findings from it if you want to read:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-years-after-the-biggest-loser-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/
  • V4kerker
    V4kerker Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So I'm indulging in my guilty pleasure of watching The Biggest Loser (while eating a bowl of chips and salsa. Lol) and we all know this isn't real life. Few people can work out for at least 2 hrs per day with crazy good trainer and a controlled diet that's handed to you. And they have a lot to lose so pulling big numbers is doable. But seriously - people are creating over losing ONLY 6 lbs for the 6th week in a row. What do you think of this all? I love seeing the before/after of these folks - it makes it seem like drastic changes are possible for anyone. But at the same time it seems pretty realistic with such big losses being posted. What so you think - is the show inspiring or part of the problem of setting unrealistic expectations for people on their weight loss journey?

Yes I find it inspiring. At the end of the season/series they bring back all the people that got kicked off and show how they lost weight at home in everyday real life. Plus I find it amazing what the human body/mind can do and how it can change.
    The show never said or implies this is what we should be losing it's people themselves setting unrealistic goals for there everyday life.
    I do wish they'd post/show their workouts/exercise, because a 6 pound lose in a week is 21000 calorie deficit. That's a lot of work.

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It's not a sustainable approach to losing weight the contestants were more than a hundred pounds overweight and they were eating at 1200 calories, working out for 90 minutes a day for 6 days, and were expected to lose a lot of weight in an unhealthy manner. Some people from a blog I once read were given laxatives as well, and the workouts weren't doesn't sound like something that someone at the weight they were in would be good for the joints they had.

Secondly, it didn't help it with their metabolism either in many instances when they returned back to their normal life they ended up gaining the weight back. Some were eating the calories they needed for their height and weight but still kept gaining weight because their body was used to eating 1200 calories a day and I'm not sure if this is the bet calories since they were also working out. It never said if they were eating back the calories they burned off, so t could've been less. Doing this for a lot period of time doesn't help the metabolism. I remember a research article came our about this last year can't find the exact one, but someone did summarize the findings from it if you want to read:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-years-after-the-biggest-loser-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/

Yeah, that study should make everyone stop and think twice about the show and its tactics.

(Just in case anyone says "but they lost weight, of course they burn fewer calories," - the article specifically says they now burn far fewer calories than a person of the same weight who didn't lose weight the Biggest Loser way).
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    It makes weight loss look like torture. I always found it to be discouraging.
    I agree. I think shows like this cement the perception that successfully losing weight means sustained misery and that if you (general you) aren't prepared to sign up for that, you'll just have to remain your current weight.

• freshmama06
    freshmama06 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know someone who was on the show and has managed to keep the weight off. She exercises and eats at a deficit.

That being said, I don't watch the show.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Ya they often do follow up shows that are however many weeks or months larger and contestants continue to lose . But I didn't realize the calorie intake was so low!

I do think it's not good to make people think losing like 10 lbs a week is "normal" . But that being said, I do think it highlights the mental and emotional challenges people have to losing weight and understanding what caused them to gain in the first place. The comments about it being "torturous to lose weight" - I think for a lot of people it IS painful and hard facing and overcoming all these things. Only they don't have the benefit of a trained professional to talk them through it all. So from that perspective, I enjoy the show. Plus I do love seeing the transformation people make. :) It's the same reason I lurk on the Success Stories board here.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    . But at the same time it seems pretty realistic with such big losses being posted.

Just realized that my initial post had a number of errors. I meant to say that it was UNreaslistic because of the big numbers. ;)