Embarrassed about losing weight

Options

Replies

• CrystalJeanCorn
    CrystalJeanCorn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. I feel way less crazy now that I know I'm not the only one...

I am sending a few friends requests because I'd love to have some of you motivational people to be in my feed..

I'm guess it's a confidence thing and I'm working on it... I still can't accept a compliment

I'm still not comfortable ordering a salad when going to eat with friends but that may be because it doesn't come deep fried.. My former favorite style of cooking
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Who gives a crud what others think!
    This is for you! Do this for yourself. Don't be fat to fit in, and don't be skinny to fit in.
    Do YOU and what's best for YOU.
    Never, ever, EVER, be embarrassed about eating healthy or losing weight, or both.
    Start with a clean slate. Buy some new clothes one size smaller and aim to fit into them. Either it'll take a month, or three months. Then show up for work in those smaller clothes and show off YOUR success!!!!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I told only to my mom and to some of my friends who need to lose weight but not all of them.

If people ask why I don't add sugar to my coffee or a pastry, I just say that I'm not in the mood for it. If I mention aaaaaanything about dieting, they'll say I'm beautiful already and don't need to lose weight.

I didn't even tell my boyfriend about it. He continues getting me pasta and bread, lots of different desserts all the time but I just flirt around it and feed him instead.

Seafood, fish, vegetables, fruits are my best options now.
  • amiraammora
    amiraammora Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Who gives a crud what others think!
    This is for you! Do this for yourself. Don't be fat to fit in, and don't be skinny to fit in.
    Do YOU and what's best for YOU.
    Never, ever, EVER, be embarrassed about eating healthy or losing weight, or both.
    Start with a clean slate. Buy some new clothes one size smaller and aim to fit into them. Either it'll take a month, or three months. Then show up for work in those smaller clothes and show off YOUR success!!!!

Yes.yes to this

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Yes! & afraid to even admit it to myself. If I never try, I never fail.

Word of advice, talk as little as possible to others about what you're doing. Find some mushy kind of cliches to say to people who notice changes in your behavior or your body. "No thanks, I'm trying to cut back on sugar" if they ask how you are losing "The old fashioned way, diet and exercise" "I'm just trying to get into my favorite jeans"

Say anything, but you don't need to explain. Less said the better. You have the right to live the life you want.

True- I used to stand in front of the mirror and practice saying no to the food pushers at work.
  • jaelbaby12001
    jaelbaby12001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm not embarrassed by it. I tell anyone and everyone, I post that ish on Facebook. I do that because i want the constant accountability check. ALL of my friends and family ask me about my kickboxing class and when i've gone and when i'm going back. I'm more embarrassed when i have to tell them i haven't been in a week, or that yeah i broke down and ate a whole pizza by myself. My 3 year old son asks me if i'm gonna go boxing, the 5 year old asks if i'm gonna go beat up the bags, and the 7 year old goes "is that a healthy food choice?" (he wants to understand nutrition so i'm trying to set a good example for him, for all of them.)

Don't be embarrassed by getting healthy, and dont let your temporary set backs stop you. You are worth more than one day of bad eating or one day of skipping the gym. Love who you are! But also Love who you know you can be, who you are striving to be!
  • Butts_Boys_and_Burgers_ohmy
    Options
    I'm not embarrassed about losing weight, but I don't talk openly about it.

Last year, I lost 80 pounds. It was very noticeable. When people started to comment, I felt awkward and it made me very self conscious. I had surgery last summer (unrelated) and I started to gain back alot of weight.

I am starting to lose again, but haven't said anything. I will take cookies or cake if someone offers it and I will either throw it away later or take it home to my Mr.

I feel judged if people know I am trying to lose weight. Like, if they see me eating a candy bar or something that is "bad". What they don't understand is that for me, this is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change and I CAN fit those things into my day.

It's good to know I am not the only one!! thank you and good luck!!
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I generally don't talk about things like this, but I'm a more private person. BUT, now that I'm down 17 pounds year to date I'm getting asked a lot about it and I'm more than happy to discuss it! I also make it clear that I'm not done and that I have 30 more to go. Really, once I'm told that someone can notice it, I am more willing to talk about it.
  • Cj0426
    Cj0426 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    One of the first steps on the road to making this a permanent lifestyle change and not just a short term weight drop is to be up front with others about your goals and effort. It places some accountability on you- I.e., "well I can't give up now because I've told everyone and made it a big deal." It also helps you to define what your aspirations are, and allows your family and friends to offer support and encouragement.
  • Goddess0921
    Goddess0921 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've started, and restarted and restarted many times. Didn't want to share with anyone for fear of failure. This last time, I made the decision to get healthy for myself. I would give time to everyone/everything else, so finally felt I'm worthy of the same effort, time and attention. I still haven't told anyone outside of my daughters (21 & 19). If someone notices, I just say 'thank you' and keep it moving. I don't diet, just make different lifestyle choices. If I want a salad, I'll have a salad, if I want a burger, I'll have a turkey burger. Having my MFP community has made all the difference to me staying encouraged and motivated. Thanks so much for sharing.
    All this thread, feel free to add me.

THIS. I have tried to lose weight so many times. People just assume I'll fail again. So I don't want them to know I'm even trying.

The difference is, this time I'm doing it for ME. I have a completely different outlook now...for the first time ever.

• krist_krau
    krist_krau Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It also makes me feel weird if people know that I am, so to say dieting, but then have some "bad days" and eat junk food all the time. Or if I go to gym regularly and then stop.That definitely makes me think that they think that I lost it again or have no self control. I rather stay quiet about me losing weight, as it seems to work the best for me.
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Embarrassed about losing weight NO NEVER
    But I was embarrassed by gaining weight.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Cj0426 wrote: »
    One of the first steps on the road to making this a permanent lifestyle change and not just a short term weight drop is to be up front with others about your goals and effort. It places some accountability on you- I.e., "well I can't give up now because I've told everyone and made it a big deal." It also helps you to define what your aspirations are, and allows your family and friends to offer support and encouragement.

this doesnt work for everyone.
    i have seen many people on here that want this kept private and hate the thought of others commenting on their journey
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm not embarrassed but I don't really tell anyone I'm trying to lose weight. I tell them I'm trying to be more healthy. Which is the truth. I'm not in this just to lose weight. I'm in this to make a change to my life that is permanent to be a fit and healthy person. To be active, to give my body the proper fuel it needs. To build up my immunity and not get sick as much, to lower my blood pressure, to regulate my stomach issues, all these things are important to me and it keeps me from giving up as well because if the scale doesn't move, I still see the changes I have made helping me. And if anyone should be embarrassed that you are getting healthy, it should be the people who are content with being unhealthy.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Cj0426 wrote: »

That may well work for you, and if it does go for it! But I have issues with your blanket statement that it is a have to thing to share it with others. Shouting it to each and all may well work in the accountability stats for some. For me it would turn me into a rabbit frozen in the headlights of an oncoming car and set up up to certain failure.

I am a private reasonably introvert person, though many people would be surprised to hear that. The very last thing I needed/wanted was other 'encouraging' me. I know many people like it, I am just not one of them. I am doing things for me, because I want to do that. For me the accountability is always on me.

For me that is a personal lifestyle change, I need to do it for me. Nobody needs to know until I have found my groove. People still do not know my goal (which is good as I keep moving it down). As I am down to a point that there is no denying that I have lost a significant weight it still makes me terribly uncomfortable to discuss it with a number people for a number of sometimes different reasons. It is not only just embarrassment, but also infringes on my private space in some cases.

But as said if that works for you, feel free to do it, just won't work for all

^^My feelings exactly. Plus, I don't derive motivation from feeling accountable about stuff like this. I didn't tell anyone I quit smoking years ago and was very successful. Some people are just less "rah rah" than others, and we should each do what works for us.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm getting to the point where I don't want to talk about it outside MFP either. I was never one to want to be in the spotlight, and nowadays, as often happens when you're successful, the comments are taking on more of a negative tone. The only time I'm actually glad to talk about it is when asked how I feel. That kind of question comes from a different place, and doesn't make me feel like such a freak show.