Rewards and goals along the way?

Options
I am a very goal-oriented person, so I'm curious. What does everyone find more effective when trying to lose a lot of weight: working towards the large goal (i.e. 100 pounds off) or setting small goals along the way (i.e. 10 pound increments), or both?

And then, similarly, what type of things to do you reward yourself with (if you do) and when?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I used 5 lb goals along the way. As for rewards, I didn't use them for those 5 lb goals. Instead, I bought new clothes--not an entire wardrobe but enough to get by short term--as I dropped sizes. Looking better and put together along the way was a priority for me.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I like to align realistic goals to holidays or other celebratory days. Then I can take a little time off and enjoy my victory along with celebrating.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i always had my eye on the big goal.sure i was happy when i reached 10kgs lost, 20kgs lost,etc., but i never used it as an excuse to reward myself with food or something else. In general i did not use a reward system while losing weight. Losing the weight, fitting in older clothes, getting compliments,feeling better, etc, was the reward itself. Buying new clothes became sort of a necessity and had to be done at some point, just like i had to buy new clothes when i was too fat.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I did rewards for each 5 lbs lost. Some were small things and some were bigger. My reward for 30 lbs lost was a pair of bright pink Converse and for 50 lbs I bought myself some gold jewelry at an estate sale. I'm not doing rewards for every 5 lbs anymore but I'm planning on some rewards for bigger milestones like 60 lbs, 75 lbs, and goal.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Though I have an ideal weight goal, I have several milestones usually about 10% of my body weight, rounded down to increments of 5 lbs.

I don't reward myself with food. I usually upgrade my fitness devices, get new workout clothes, or go on an active mini-vacations (beach, hiking, camping).

I'm planning to start a new wardrobe when I get near my stretch goal. So far I've been getting cheap, second hand, clothes as I lose weight - that way I don't form any attachment to anything.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty against the idea of rewards. I know some respond well to positive reinforcement, but to me being a healthy weight is a responsibility I need to take seriously. I can give myself a pat on the back when I'm completely ripped or some thing.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i have a larger goal but also smaller goals, and i tend to reward myself with fitness equipment :) since i love working out and it helps me with the next goal, it works out pretty well.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If getting to a certain weight is a goal, getting to that weight is my reward. I would estimate when I could reach that weight, but I don't set time limits for something I can't control directly, like my weight. I can control my food intake, though, and I love food, so I have a daily goal of eating just what I need, in forms I enjoy - goal and reward in one, aka intrinsic motivation. I love this. Virtually effortless.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Big goal for me... it was pretty much all or nothing!

I didn't need any rewards, looking at the mirror was reward enough. Now that I'm maintaining, being able to still buy smaller size clothes and look pretty good in them is still a pretty good reward too.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I had the ultimate goal and some smaller ones along the way. I had a lot to lose, so the smaller ones were every 25 pounds. I set up times that I would like them to happen by. It worked really well for me. I rewarded myself with a new grill when I had lost 100 pounds. I had to buy plenty of clothes along the way, that was pretty much the rewards. It was extra special when I skipped an entire size.
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 257 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    When i started MFP i wanted to lose 37lbs. (2stone 9lb)To make it seem more achiveable. I split it into 3 goals.
    1. Lose 9lbs. DONE
    2. Lose 14lbs(1stone) DONE
    3. Lose 14lbs(1 stone). This is my next goal.

My rewards worked out when i lose goal 1 and 2 was when i had a long weeknd off so allowed my self 3 days maintance days.

Also new clothes was also rewarding
  • lasvegasconcertgirl
    lasvegasconcertgirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight goal for a reward. That would have been too frustrating for me. Instead, I would reward myself for sticking to plan for a X period of time. Two weeks, four weeks, whatever. So as not to spend too much money while transitioning, I would reward myself with a trip to Goodwill to pick up something nice and inexpensive, or I would plan to have a healthy, but fancier meal when I reached the end of that period. But all of that would be decided in advance - the time period and what kind of reward. Worked great for me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    My rewards are doing things I had difficulty doing when I was heavier ... like cycling long distances. :)