Summer Marathon Training, anyone???

2»

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    I went into marathon training mode in late December, ran Boston on Monday, and now I'm in recovery mode. Tentatively thinking my next marathon will be in September, which backs the training cycle up to late May or early June to get serious again. Then in September I'll have to decide whether I'm running Boston again next year.

If you don't jump off, the cycle never ends.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    I'm running Chicago in October. Not looking forward to all those miles in the Houston summer weather!

Yay for Chicago! I've ran it twice. Not looking to run a marathon until next year and hoping to BQ the year after. I should find some half to run. Might just train through this year and race next.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    I'm half marathon training, I did my first half in March, I have another booked for September. I don't run well in the heat at all!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I went into marathon training mode in late December, ran Boston on Monday, and now I'm in recovery mode. Tentatively thinking my next marathon will be in September, which backs the training cycle up to late May or early June to get serious again. Then in September I'll have to decide whether I'm running Boston again next year.

If you don't jump off, the cycle never ends.

I'd love to do Boston, but I'd have to knock like 2+ hrs off my best time...lol!
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    I'm thinking of diving into half marathon training for one in October and not looking forward to start training in the humid summer heat. I also work 6 days a week and will have to dedicate my life to work and running to be successful. If there's a will, there's a way for me!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I've got a half booked for November. My training runs are up and down Heartbreak Hill which is as close as I'm ever going to get to running Boston.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    I've started building my base for NYC in November. My actual plan doesn't start until June some time. Through the Summer months I'm probably going to have to get most of my week runs knocked out really early before my husband leaves for work so I can leave the baby with him, this has the added bonus of missing the really hot temps!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,863 Member
    Im training for a marathon in september, but im also doing one in July. July was suppose to be half marathon, BUT my partner cant do it and I know people doing the full (they plan on walking most of it) so Im going to start with them, then when they slow, im going to continue on, no big goals with that one, just want to finish it in under 7 hours and come out uninjured, but my september one is the one i have bigger goals with and im training with 2 coworkers.
  • DiannaOnMaui
    DiannaOnMaui Posts: 27 Member
    Maui Marathon in October, the day after my 50th birthday. It's my birthday gift to myself. I was an avid runner/cyclist/triathlete until 2015, then suffered two non-sports-related injuries (and a minor surgery) that kept me sedentary (and frustrated!) until early this year. Currently up to 3 mile runs and 10-12 miles per week. 6-week base building starts May 1, followed by 18-week training plan to get me to Race Day. Using "No Meat Athlete" Marathon training plan. Have several smaller races in between, starting with my first 5K in 3 years on 5/5.

The biggest challenge for me will be not to get caught up in wishing I was where I was 2 years ago, fitness wise, and enjoying running for the sake of running. I'm nowhere near the 4-hour time I wanted to achieve then, so I need to stay focused on being consistent with training and simply happy that I can still do this and finish, no matter what the time!