When is the right time to drink my protein shake?

Options
I'm starting my diet and exercise back up. I purchased a plant based protein shake. I have been drinking 1/2 the serving in the morning for breakfast. I will have more time now to workout at the gym after work, but am wondering if I should continue to drink 1/2 a serving in the am, and the other 1/2 after my workout. I plan on going at 5:00 pm -6:30 or so. What are your suggestions?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. Timing of intake is not that important for most people.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I would say never, but I prefer eating my calories.

Are you generally lacking in protein without the shake?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    See the replies in your other thread in General Weight Loss
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Any time you feel like you need the extra energy. Protein shakes are great for busy modern lifestyle when people don't have time. Whole food of course is best, but I think it's great you are getting protein in as many people lack it. I also think it's great that you break it up into servings more often protein is the one macro your body can't store, and it's best to have it often.

Sounds like you are doing great, keep it up!
  • mlrosa123
    mlrosa123 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think my problem is that I don't eat enough, yet I'm about 70lbs overweight. And sometimes I'll overeat, like I'll binge... bad foods... like pizza or burgers. I'm trying to start a steady diet and cook tasty meals so I'm not tempted to splurge on bad calories. So I thought this would be a good way to intake more healthy calories. It's plant based. No whey, milk or soy because they make me sick. This one hasn't made me feel sick. I also add a banana.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thirty minutes to two hours or so before or after workouts if you're trying for more development. It's good to follow that schedule while also splitting any other protein you're missing out on within your diet into other meals through your day evenly.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My trainer always told me to have it within 1-1.5 hrs before my workout (but no less than 20 min before working out or it upset my tum). He also told me to have a small snack with protein in it (10-15 grams) within an hour after working out for optimal recovery. So i (personally, whatever works for you is best) would have a smoothie with protein powder before and a bar or eggs or yogurt after.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you include enough protein in the food you eat you don't need it, but if you must drink a protein shake it should be following the workout because that is when the body's need for protein is the greatest.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    If you include enough protein in the food you eat you don't need it, but if you must drink a protein shake it should be following the workout because that is when the body's need for protein is the greatest.

no.....