Amateur body building

Anyone have experience with amateur body building competitions? There is one happening in November in my area and I'm thinking about entering. That gives me six months to train.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Yes... I've done 15 shows...

Why do you want to compete?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    I want to compete because I can :smile: Seriously though I've come so far on my fitness journey and I am already half way there with my body (muscle/tone). I am going to be 49 this year and wouldn't it be something to check this off of my bucket list!
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    That's fantastic!! Do it!! The first time I entered my first duathlon I thought I was crazy. I came in dead last, but did it matter??? Not at all. The accomplishment was such an amazing feeling. I've done 4 more since then, and have shaved loads of time off my personal best every year, and I'm no longer finishing last.

You can dooooo eeeeeeet!!!! 6 months should be loads of time to train if you're dedicated. Getter done!!! And good luck!!
  • BoxerBrawler
    Thanks! And right... this time it's not about winning, it's about the accomplishment! :smile:
  • I want to compete because I can :smile: Seriously though I've come so far on my fitness journey and I am already half way there with my body (muscle/tone). I am going to be 49 this year and wouldn't it be something to check this off of my bucket list!

What do you mean by "half way there"? Do you have a lot of muscle, and you've got relatively lean? Or you've started building muscle and you're enjoying it?

Are you starting to enjoy what your body looks like?

If there's a comp in 6 months, you won't be building any more muscle. You'll be in prep, and training just to retain as much of what you have whilst you diet. To extremes.

There is nothing glamorous about competing (except for the glitzy bikini and getting your hair and makeup done) and it can be detrimental in many ways -
    *to life (relationships, work, being social, financial stress),
    *to training,
    *to your body (physical and mental health),
    *to relationships with food and your body image.

I do it, but if I could go back pre-competing I would tell myself not to. I liked my body back then, and i enjoyed training just to be fit and healthy. (I'd lost 25kgs and had started weight training during that process)
    I also wish someone had been honest with me and told me about the negatives of competing, and that I physically wasn't ready.

Quoting this cause how relevant the statements are.

@OP Ask any competitive bodybuilder if its healthy. Most will tell you no. You diet down to an unhealthy bodyfat% which in the post above stated plays a huge role on you mentally and physically. Now if you have a passion for it or just want to do it for fun by all means go ahead.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Well I thought I'd revisit this.
    I've been at it for about a month and am 20 weeks out and I'm loving it. I love the extreme workout sessions, the extreme diet regimen. My competition coach is amazing and I am seeing amazing changes in my body in terms of muscle growth. I have a solid nutrition and lifting/exercise plan and have met a group of the most wonderful and STRONG women ever... so very supportive and motivational. So despite some of the more negative aspects of the advice given to me I'll have to agree to disagree. It's certainly not for everyone that's for sure and it's not for the faint of heart. Oh, and I am on a lean to clean bulk program and building muscle like overnight! We don't need to get fat (bulk) to gain muscle... that is an antiquated idea.
    Anyway....
    Thanks.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Negative? Perhaps just honest.

I doubt you're growing anything on 1300 cals - if that's your "bulk", what are you planning on dropping to when you're trying to cut?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Well I thought I'd revisit this.
    I've been at it for about a month and am 20 weeks out and I'm loving it. I love the extreme workout sessions, the extreme diet regimen. My competition coach is amazing and I am seeing amazing changes in my body in terms of muscle growth. I have a solid nutrition and lifting/exercise plan and have met a group of the most wonderful and STRONG women ever... so very supportive and motivational. So despite some of the more negative aspects of the advice given to me I'll have to agree to disagree. It's certainly not for everyone that's for sure and it's not for the faint of heart. Oh, and I am on a lean to clean bulk program and building muscle like overnight! We don't need to get fat (bulk) to gain muscle... that is an antiquated idea.
    Anyway....
    Thanks.

You aren't gaining muscle if you're dieting for a body building program right now.

You might be getting leaner- and looking bigger- but I seriously doubt your gaining appreciable muscle at this point.

secondly true blanket statements =/= negativity
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I just ran an 8 month bulk, gained 12 lbs. I did not get fat so ya I agree you don't need to get fat to gain muscle. However I am kind of confused how you are bulking on 1300 cals, maybe if you could clarify? I am currently cutting and would love to continue to gain more mass on my glutes, especially super fast.. that would be the dream. Just curious what you are doing to achieve that.
  • JoRocka
    Also- is that you in the picture?
    Are you doing fitness/figure/ physique or actual body building?

inquiring minds want to know.

Also- please yes- what's the secret to gaining muscles while cutting. this whole bulk/cut thing is really killing my wardrobe situation.
  • BoxerBrawler
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Also- is that you in the picture?
    Are you doing fitness/figure/ physique or actual body building?

inquiring minds want to know.

Also- please yes- what's the secret to gaining muscles while cutting. this whole bulk/cut thing is really killing my wardrobe situation.

Haha! The wardrobe is always an issue!
    Yes that is me in the photo last month, a lot has changed :smile:
    I am sort of stuck between bikini and figure. Right now I am too muscular for bikini and a little to lean for figure but I can keep working and see where I am at the end of July. Most likely I'll go with figure. Once I register for one I am not allowed to change to another division.

I'll post some information and credible sources on lean bulking a little later on :smile:

• JoRocka
    I was going to say- you aren't nearly big enough for a body building comp if that's you.

Just be careful when you say that- IMHO it's going to lead to awkward and painfully unnecessary conversations if you say you are body building. You aren't- it's bikini/figure prep.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    "building muscle overnight" on 1300 calories? no, not happening.
  • Tattooedmom44
    Tattooedmom44 Posts: 93 Member
    Anyone have experience with amateur body building competitions? There is one happening in November in my area and I'm thinking about entering. That gives me six months to train.

I am 50 years old and just competed in my first competition in the figure category. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. A year of lifting to get my body into shape, and then comp prep. It was very challenging. Carb depletion to lean down, learning a routine as well as the mandatory poses, etc. Plus the financial aspect of it is quite substantial. I'm glad I did it, but didn't fully understand what I was getting myself into when I started on the journey.
  • BoxerBrawler

I am 50 years old and just competed in my first competition in the figure category. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. A year of lifting to get my body into shape, and then comp prep. It was very challenging. Carb depletion to lean down, learning a routine as well as the mandatory poses, etc. Plus the financial aspect of it is quite substantial. I'm glad I did it, but didn't fully understand what I was getting myself into when I started on the journey.

I hear you! I did a ton of research before I decided to jump in so I'm not really surprised about the competition and all that implies as a whole. I'm doing bikini for my first because I knew I didn't have enough time to prep for figure but that's on the horizon for the next show :smile: I'm enjoying the process so far. I start my actual prep on August 1st, I'll be 12 weeks out.

• GettingFit5551
    GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
    I wish you the best! You go girl! ☺