Gained 30 lbs in 3 wks? Extreme Weight Loss

Options
13»

Replies

• buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Saw it and agree with all that has been said (full of excuses, how did she gain all of that, etc).
    But the one thing I remember saying last night as I watched, was how Trina seemed so child-like. I told my husband (who came in halfway thru) a brief description of who she was and what her story was...and I said to him, "She seems very childlike, almost like her growth was stunted at age 12 or something." Well, after reading these posts, I followed one of them to her blog, and now I understand why. All that she went through, it is like she sort of stopped growing at 12 or so. Sad story, though awesome that she was able to lose all that weight. Hopefully her family will support her and she'll get some long term care (counseling, etc) because with the issues she has-- it really is so much more ... she will surely slip back into her old ways w/o some continued care. I am so curious to see where she's at now - I'm sure that show finale was filmed months and months ago...
    Does anyone know? Is she maintaining her weight loss...or have her issues popped up again and therefore the weight? I hate to think it- but she seems so 'at risk'.... Hope not!!
  • Lillith23
    Lillith23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Actually, when I first got married, something similar happened to me. I basically gained 20 pounds in 2 weeks. 2 months prior to this I was on a severe restricted calorie diet hoping to lose weight. Then a wedding out of state rolled around and we pretty much partied every day all day, ate out, and just ate with company alot. Im not into "junk" food (like chips candy etc) but we ate a lot of calorie dense stuff like steaks, beer. I think part of me was going beserk from restricting my self so much but needless to say I felt soo cruddy afterwards and Im still trying to work that off.
    It happens. Not my proudest.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Did anyone see Extreme Weight Loss last night? I was watching it between doing other things, but saw the part where she gained 30 pounds in three weeks.

Falling off your diet is one thing, but gaining 10 lbs a week? How is that even possible?

I know I was floored when I saw that she had gained that much weight. I think a very small factor was her stress levels. But yeah, she was eating junk.
  • darvin1023
    darvin1023 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yeah i saw the show.
    1. she was sooo full of excuses she was getting annoying.
    Like, Really?! You CAN'T go to the gym because it's snowing? YOU LIVING IN MICHIGAN! That amount of snow is NOTHING and you know it!
    "AND" YOU HAVE A GYM IN YOUR FREAKIN' LIVING ROOM?!!! ARE YOU BLIND?!

2. But, I think, what annoyed me the most about her is: She would say "I'm sorry!" cry about it to chris, get motivated, get back on the program, then find ANOTHER excuse why she "fell off the wagon."

3. She falls off the program so frequently and so easily, I think she needs a shrink to overcome her emotional issues. Cause that scar is no healed yet. You can read it on her face.

4. Her mother was toxic. The mother needed to be sent to home for old people, in a state far far away. Notice how happy she was when she was in Arizona for Phase 3? She was very upbeat in Arizona -when she was away from her mother.

5. I think it's awesome that her co-workers did the weight loss journey with her. Kudos for them! And i respect each and every one of those nurses.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    ... I don't suppose theres a link to this? I'm bored at work :D
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    wooowwwww!!! Im watching that show when I get home. I cant even picture how that happens !
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I saw this too. Just for reference, 1 gallon of water is about 8 lbs, so 32 lbs would be 4 gallons of water. That's a lot of "water weight" and she definitely didn't get most of it from the water she drank before her weight in.

I don't doubt that she could do it, but 10 lbs a week definitely seems like quite a lot. That's and extra 5000 calories a day above her TDEE (which was probably about 2000 calories at her weight). After restricting for so long, it must have been difficult. I've noticed my stomach definitely shrinks significantly when I eat a lot less than normal for a while, so I imagine eating 5000 above her TDEE must have been very uncomfortable.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I was surprised at the weight gain too. I know it snows heavily in the north, but she had an elliptical machine at home! She didn't have to make excuses about driving in the cold to the YMCA. She just had to go to another room in her own house to workout. Chris had shown her various ways to workout. Sheesh.
    I was in shock at the gain. I noticed how they did not focus very long on the nurse that lost 14lbs. I was expecting to see her come out with some huge transformation as well. Just glad to see they all had the scale moving though. Hopefully Trina can keep this group motivated for some long-term results. Her weight gain scared me though..i would hate t know I have been working this hard for that much to come back on that quick. She did look amazing at the end of the show.

I noticed that too. The show quickly cut away after her weigh in. I felt bad for her. She lost something like only 20 pounds and she weighed something like 434 pounds. You'd think she would have some of the biggest losses since heavier people can have more pounds lost per week than someone closer to their true normal weight. But she lost only 20 pounds in 9 months. I thought she'd have a huge transformation going from like 434 pounds to maybe something like 375 pounds. But she was still in the 400s. The amount of calories she'd have to taken in to maintain 434 pounds has to be a lot. I wonder if she felt obligated to join the other nurses in the weight loss because she didn't come off as motivated as the others. The others dropped like 49-70 something pounds.

FYI...that wasn't a "heavy snow".
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    That witch of a mother, cackling at her, I think she ought to tell her mother off, give it right back to her. the mother aint no skinny twig either. WTF!!!

I only saw half coz i had to get to work today, but Trina seems to find peace in California.. that is where i'd move all my stuff and leave the mother behind. did the mother go on the colorado trip? what a weasel. "Can i go too?" this is the part where i would slap the mother.

Trina was all fan-tarding when she saw chris. and the look on her face when he said he was not going to MI with her. she relies too much on emotions .. she needs to get that in check and stop looking to her mother for validation. OH i could think of A LOT of things to say to that witch.

the thing is - Trina (at this point) had not learned that emotions controlled her eating, or rather she let her emotions control her eating. she needs to get that under control, then the weight loss will come.

One thing I did see my opinion validated - the part in the beginning where she proudly showed her bag of chocolate and said "I can have 20 pieces of this (or whatever she said) and it looks like it might have been Weight Watchers. and then someone says well how is that working for you? (to show thata it is not).

I say this - I do not believe that it is good for some people to "have just a little" or "If it fits my macros" and then squeeze in some chocolate.. .because some people cannot do that if they have a food addiction.. they REALLY need to eat in control of food, not try to find ways to squeeze in food that will trigger them into overeating. i still think if i have an addiction to a food, having just a little is like teasing me, torturing me with that little bit of sweetness, knowing I cant have more... its WAY easier to just not eat it. really. I so disagree with this aspect of Weight Watchers,, because i think it is bad for peeps with food addictions..
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I just saw the rest of this.. sheesh! her beyotch mother at least was grinning at the end - i was thinking she was going to say "Can i have a gift card too" or she was grinning because when she saw the $25,000 gift card, she knew she was going to get something, or that's what she figured, i bet.

I dont know, how can she lose all that weight in a short time. Part of me wishes I could do that, but i probably would not learn how to control my eating and make good choices. it will be slow doing a 1-2 pound weight loss a week, but one thing i was thinking today - that i could do this (what I'm doing now). i dont feel like im on a diet. I think maybe if a person loses 25 pounds a month for a year, but then when that is done, they might go back to what they were doing before now that they accomplished the weight loss. can a person keep it off at losing it that fast?

also, since we are going 1-2 pounds a week will that pretty much guarantee for most people that we wont have saggy tummy like she did at 145?
  • anitasongs
    anitasongs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can happen. Junk food and fast food has 1,000 of calories. But she looked amazing in the end and so much younger. She looked beautiful. You just got to get up.
  • kf3535
    kf3535 Posts: 7
    Options
    It's sad but I actually had this happen to me in May. I went from 152 lbs up to 185lbs. in one month. I was on medications that reacted badly and it was that long before I could be taken off of them. I'm STILL trying to get back to my original weight.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I also wished that someone would just totally slap her mother! No one stood up for Trina when Mom/Grandma said her stuff. The kids and her husband should have stepped up and shut that down since obvioulsy Trina can't.

I have only sporadically seen this show. While I do like that it gives a whole year of their lives for us to see, I still think it is extreme (yes, I know...it's in the title). 75 pounds in 3 months? They don't really show what their diet is during that time as I am sure it is really restrictive. I have finally figured out how to lose weight and keep it off this time and it is because everything in moderation is allowed. If I had been restricted like she was for 9 months, even with losing half my body weight, I can imagine I would totally binge when forced back to such an unsupportive house like she had. I don't know if I could gain 32 pounds in 3 weeks especially knowing that it would make me lose the surgery that she so needed, but that's another story. I think a slower approach to weight loss will lead to longer lasting results. And you don't always need that surgery when losing slowly either. I do think there is a lot more to her eating problems that most people and hopefully she can get that sorted out. I do hope she is successful long term.

And did the new furniture come from Wal Mart???
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    If someone in my life treated me the way her mother treated her, I would have cut them out of it a long time ago.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    That chick was so annoying in that episode. Whining, crying, complaining, excuses, etc etc. It was non-stop. I bet she's back to her original weight in less than 6 months.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I COULD RELATE TO HER SO WELL. I was crying hysterically all during the show and at the end of it too. I pray she keeps the weight off long term. Her mother is toxic poison in her life. If she lets her mother continue to emotionally beat her up the rest of her life I have a feeling she may backslide on her new healthy life in just a matter of time. Lesson learned for me which I struggle with everyday of my life is no matter what anyone else says or does I am only responsible for my actions alone. Even if others around me are critical and negative it is up to me ALONE TO do what is best for me. That means never give up and keep going no matter what comes my way.

Oh I was sobbing during this episode too. I could totally see myself in her and it made me really ashamed. Her excuses, her emotional eating, her complaining. I've done it all. And actually seeing someone do it... Just killed me. But I think I'm using it as more motivation because I WILL NOT let myself be that whiny complainer with all the excuses to not work out.
  • krisflower19
    krisflower19 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've done it (unfortunately). Being depressed, not doing anything apart from eating. And high calorie food too. Easily $100 worth of fast food and junk A DAY!