Protein friendly breakfast

Options
fitbethlin
fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
I am trying to find breakfasts that have a good amount of protein (20-30g) but that don't use eggs. I really do like breakfast foods for breakfast rather than trying to do something like eat lunch or dinner foods.

Currently, this is one of my fav breakfasts. Sweet potato, potato, bacon, black beans in a hash, with a dollop of creamy avocado. But it really shines when I put a runny egg on the top. :)

http://www.cookincanuck.com/2013/09/sweet-potato-hash-recipe-with-creamy-california-avocado-sauce/

My other go-to is breakfast burritos....with eggs. I just want to keep my diet diverse (nothing against eggs), so any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    With no eggs at all, I'd go yoghurt with protein powder mixed through, some berries and nuts.

Or oats with protein powder and whatever add ins you like.

I make protein pancakes, but they have egg :p
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What about smoothies? My favorite is protein powder or greek yogurt, PB2 or reg PB, banana, spinach, flax/chia, cashew milk.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have protein enriched cereal most days. Get me 18g protein with no prep or cooking to do!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I second smoothies
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I use smoothies with protein powder pretty regularly (mango-basil-vanilla and almond-avocado-green-tea are currently doing it for me), but i eat a lot of small meals during the day. I'm hoping to add some more solid food recipes into the rotation. I need to explore high protein cereals, and maybe add fruit....
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Eggs are usually my staple, but I sometimes mix it up with protein pancakes, protein donuts (recipe on flapJacked bag), Greek yogurt with protein powder and berries, cereal and milk w/unflavored protein powder mixed in, protein bar with glass of high protein milk, muffins made with protein powder...and sometimes even Halo Top.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    fitbethlin wrote: »
    I am trying to find breakfasts that have a good amount of protein (20-30g) but that don't use eggs. I really do like breakfast foods for breakfast rather than trying to do something like eat lunch or dinner foods.

Currently, this is one of my fav breakfasts. Sweet potato, potato, bacon, black beans in a hash, with a dollop of creamy avocado. But it really shines when I put a runny egg on the top. :)

http://www.cookincanuck.com/2013/09/sweet-potato-hash-recipe-with-creamy-california-avocado-sauce/

My other go-to is breakfast burritos....with eggs. I just want to keep my diet diverse (nothing against eggs), so any ideas would be appreciated.

The sweet potato hash with no egg but with more bacon and burritos, topped with greek yogurt and/or cheese.

The breakfast burritos with no eggs but more of whatever other protein source it has, topped with greek yogurt and/or cheese.

Fresh fruit and greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    overnight oats w/peanut butter powder and greek yogurt.
  • myname20
    myname20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 slices of bread, cream cheese and ham, buy you should find brands that are higher in protein and lower in fats. Protein: 6+2.6+10=18.6

Other suggestions

Greek yogurt with fruits
    Cottage cheese on bread with green onion, dills
    Something with milk like oats, quinoa or any other porridge, smoothie
    Milk ice cream (homemade)
    Pancakes,cookies with protein powder
    Protein bar :smiley:

• jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    smoked fish with cottage cheese on bread, greek yoghurt with fruits and mixed in protein powder, protein powder cheesecake.
  • Jabbarwocky
    Jabbarwocky Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, I prefer Aldi's brand vanilla flavored, with Kashi Golean cereal. I used the vanilla pepita cereal this morning and it was 29 grams of protein. Usually keeps me feeling full till lunch no problem. I haven't used any protein powders yet but am considering it for smoothie snacks. I would second the turkey sausage except it seems to be getting harder to find, at least in my area.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    fitbethlin wrote: »

Plain greek yogurt, add a scoop of chocolate protein. Tastes amazing, about 45g protein.
  • geej77
    geej77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For the peeps recommending the high protein cereals... Can you give specifics on the ones you like?