LahrysaTebo2015 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    can you run/cycle outside?

I can run! I don't know how to ride a bike lol
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Jillian Micheals has an app that I have just forgotten the name of. You tell it what equipment you have it it customises the workouts for what you want to achieve based on the kit you have.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good if you have a local YMCA or some public pool type thing.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    To be candid I'd approach this in stages. Put all your focus on diet and meal planning in the beginning since that is where the weight is lost (but keep your walking). More strenuous exercise can trigger hunger so it's good to have your diet firmly under control first. Introduce heavy exercise after you have a good rhythm.

BTW, diet and walking will take you to your goal. I've lost over 40lbs since Jan with it.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics don't require weights. There is lots of great body resistance movements you can do. Squats can be done without weights or add in objects for weights. A gallon of water weights a little over 8 lbs. Grab 2 gallon bottles of water the next time you are at the store for about a buck each. Use those for many different exercises that require weights. (A little bit heavier than the soup cans I remember being recommended when I was little).

You can also check garage sales and craigslist for cheap dumbells. Last year i bought 2 20lb dumbells for $10.

But like @Theo166 said, I would focus first on what you are eating. June is not that far off to wait to start lifting. Walking is going to help you burn those calories....You can up your intensity by walking faster, getting more miles in, and also by adding more hills.

Good Luck!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    BTW, diet and walking will take you to your goal. I've lost over 40lbs since Jan with it.

Absolutely nothing wrong with walking as exercise. I lost my first 100 lbs doing just that the first year. Diet + walking for exercise.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender has some good workouts as well and YouTube I've used the channel called befit they have free videos... I still don't understand why you don't want to use weights.

Because I don't have access to weights right now

Not trying to push too much on this point, but you could use common household items as weights. Cans of beans, 1 litre milk jug filled to varying levels with water, gallon milk jug, books, etc. Just an idea. Others (the ones I've read) have good suggestions. I haven't read all responses, but consider "You are your own gym" as well. Body weight workouts, like others have suggested. No equipment needed.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    80% of weight loss is what you eat. If you really have no time for exercise, you can lose 80% as much as someone who also exercises.... but walking should be enough exercise for pure weight loss, as some have suggested. Lifting weights and running on the treadmill is just Biggest Loser stuff, but it isn't necessary for slow and steady loss.
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Fitnessblender has some good workouts as well and YouTube I've used the channel called befit they have free videos... I still don't understand why you don't want to use weights.

Because I don't have access to weights right now

Not trying to push too much on this point, but you could use common household items as weights. Cans of beans, 1 litre milk jug filled to varying levels with water, gallon milk jug, books, etc. Just an idea. Others (the ones I've read) have good suggestions. I haven't read all responses, but consider "You are your own gym" as well. Body weight workouts, like others have suggested. No equipment needed.

Very good suggestion! Thank you!
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    There are loads and loads of body weight exercises that can be done at home.
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    Options
    There are loads and loads of body weight exercises that can be done at home.

Thank you!
  • SashaQ1381
    SashaQ1381 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    To be candid I'd approach this in stages. Put all your focus on diet and meal planning in the beginning since that is where the weight is lost (but keep your walking). More strenuous exercise can trigger hunger so it's good to have your diet firmly under control first. Introduce heavy exercise after you have a good rhythm.

This!

I did this a few years ago and had stellar results. For a full month and a half, all I did was watch what I ate, though not always clean, but counting calories properly.

I put on a few over the last couple of years (after baby), and I am doing this same thing again before starting the gym so I can lose the weight, to... well... lose the weight!

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Golbat wrote: »
    I am 47 and I have a bad thyroid and I'm losing weight with walking being pretty much my only exercise. It's more about diet than exercise. Count your calories. Weigh your food and track everything. You will lose weight if you don't eat too much regardless of exercise.

While I agree, I think that people that don't exercise (you are doing just fine, not implying anything) tend to fail once the 'diet' is over. Those, like you, me, the op, and others making good suggestions in this thread, that embrace exercise as part of their journey to a new body/fitness level tend to succeed long term. Exercise is never required, and diet is a big part of it, but exercise speeds things along, builds muscle, and will help you keep the weight off long term. Just my humble opinion.

some can't exercise so you have to consider that as well...and they have success long term as much as able bodies do. Exercise is not a guarantee of success.

Exercise shouldn't "speed" things along as far as weight loss because if you are following the plan here on MFP You are eating more food and maintaining your Neat Deficit.

As well it doesn't build muscle (that easy)...resistance training can help keep most of the muscle and a progressive load lifting program can build muscle for a certain folks like new to lifting, young men and the obese but that's measured in oz.

OP walking is fine...that's how I started...moved onto body weight stuff and hand weights doing 30 day shred and fitness blender workouts now I lift heavy weights, walk, run, swim, bike do yoga etc...

Find something you like and do that...
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Keaira LaShae is my girl! Super fun dance workouts. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UConrMq-4C_ykPGueZ1qczlg