Hi all, new guy here, needs to lose about 80 lbs

Options
Hi everyone. since I may pester you all with many questions, I figured id say hi first lol.

49 yo male, 5'8", starting weight 260lbs. Would like to get down to approx 180 and will aim for that but may be happy around 190-200

Health/weight history. I was the typical skinny, athletic, very active kid as we all were back in those days. When I went into basic training at age 18 I weighed 156lbs and when I came out I was 147 lbs.

I have lifted weights on and off for many years and did competitive powerlifting about 10 years ago. Believe it or not I was actually a personal trainer for a while but of course I was more of the "big, strong guy" type as opposed to anything lean looking.

I have basically NEVER had anything resembling a proper diet and only counted calories very briefly at one point some years ago

Essentially I have been at various levels of "fatness" since my mid 20s, but of course now its grotesque and its finally time for a change.

IIRC back in 2003 I did lose maybe 30? lbs down to 189 after being stung by an insult. At the time I wasnt lifting weights so basically I just got small looking IMO lol. (yes, id love to snap my fingers and have that again though)

Sort of thru 2003-2008ish I was lifting very steady and powerlifting....which is of course an excuse to get really fat and I got up to a high of about 255. Of course i did have a lot of muscle to go along with the fat

Between 2008 and now I have varied maybe between 220-240

As it is today I havent lifted or done any solid exercise for a number of years with maybe a month or two inside the gym here and there. So I am now back at my all time high around 260 WITHOUT any amount of exercise induced muscle lol. Its not looking good and I get out of breath very easily etc. We wont even go into self esteem issues. I sort of gave up on that years ago as far as physical appearance goes.

So here we are today. Im trying to get started, meanwhile I have terrible habits formed and im lazy and somewhat depressed. (go figure right?)

I was 260 on Apr 15 2017.

I work 4 days per week, usually a 10 hr day. (M,T,Fr,Sat)

The only exercise I do semi regularly is walk for about an hour 1x or 2x per week.

My job is somewhat physical as I am on my feet all day long driving a stand up forklift. needless to say, one reason I need to lose some weight is that my feet and legs kill me after work lol

Anyway, wish me luck,

Cheers, JonJon

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Dude!
    Just turned 51. I started at 259 and down to 213. Hoping for at least under 200.
  • jusjoking
    jusjoking Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Dude!
    Just turned 51. I started at 259 and down to 213. Hoping for at least under 200.

nice. how long has it taken?

you're pretty close to 200, you'll get it

Its crazy, I used to love going to the gym. At times i lived in it, doing like 3 hour powerlifting workouts 3-4x per week.

That past of me being a gym rat actually makes it harder to get back going because it seems ill never get back to where I was....plus I dont really want to lol. I dont want to spend 10 hours/week in a gym

its funny how things change as we age. I remember being a kid and seeing "executive" workouts in the muscle magazines. Like 2 sets each of 10 machine exercises 3x per week. I used to laugh at such workouts and id be like "why even bother??"

omg, I WISH I had a habit of even doing 'executive' workouts lol

It gets harder going back. Now im fat AND grey bearded lol

Cheers, JonJon
  • joshahar
    joshahar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New guy here as well. 175 in basic training about 14 years ago...280 now, and ready to get back at it. Best of luck to you my friend. I'll be sweating alongside ya!
  • jusjoking
    jusjoking Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    joshahar wrote: »
    New guy here as well. 175 in basic training about 14 years ago...280 now, and ready to get back at it. Best of luck to you my friend. I'll be sweating alongside ya!

word.

I got a pic of me after basic and I looked like Bruce Lee lol. Id be scared to even look at it now

good luck brother, Jonjon
  • MtnScramble
    MtnScramble Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am in week 7 starting weight 340 now 316 My lowest in High School was 228. I am nearing 49.

I feel your pain. I had gastric sleeve surgery a few years ago and did awesome after that. I was commuting on a recumbent tricycle with a motor assist. That combination was awesome but I never tracked my food then when the tricycle broke down did not adjust my intake. So here I am doing it again adding in food tracking and ready to take this 100+ lbs back off.

Good luck all.
    --- MtnScramble