Fat intake question.

Options
smelons
smelons Posts: 450 Member
I only need to lose about 12 lbs, but it's not budging and I hold a lot of fat around my waist and bottom. I can't do intensive fat burning-exercise, only gentle exercise like walking. I eat a lot of oily food like salmon and nuts and I'm quite often over on my fat every day. My saturated fat, however, is usually OK. I'm concerned about the long-term effects of eating over the recommended fat intake each day and the fat around my middle.

My diary is open - can anyone advise if I am eating way too much fat please?

Replies

• smelons
    Options
    Bump...
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You should be fine if you stay in your calories. You'll still lose. There are a lot of people who eat a high fat/ high protein diet and still lose. Eat what you like and make sure you are getting all the nutrients your body needs, and you'll be fine.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    There is no harm in eating too much fat, as long as you are hitting your protein minimum and staying within your caloric goal. Dietary fat has nothing to do with fat storage in your body. Eating at a caloric surplus will cause fat storage, eating in a caloric deficit will cause fat loss. It's actually bad for you if you don't eat enough dietary fat, because it is essential for hormone production, nutrient absorption, and brain and organ function.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Companies and propaganda have lied to you: Dietary fat != fat bodies
  • smelons
    Options
    Thanks, that's reassuring. I'm less worried about the weight loss, more about the long-term effects of consuming a high intake of fat.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that's reassuring. I'm less worried about the weight loss, more about the long-term effects of consuming a high intake of fat.

You're fine then, there are zero negative affects associated with high fat intake, as long as that doesn't correlate to a large caloric surplus above your TDEE