People in this forum are bitter souls.

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited April 2017 in Motivation and Support
It's frustrating that people come on threads just to argue when literally you didn't ask for their opinion. Also annoying when they say your results (weight loss) makes no sense so obviously you cant add simple figures. Forget that some people have different metabolic rates than what is normal - they know everything. Drives me friggin nuts!! If someone doesnt ask for help dont start criticizing what works for them. -_- End rant. I want to start a group here that the entire point of it is to keep any know-it-alls out and really no other focus at all except to keep away that discouraging drama and to celebrate people's accomplishments and answer questions without going off topic. It's like when people say you drive them to drink - they almost drive be to eat. Geeze.

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Well, starting a group is an option. You should do that if you feel it is needed.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/groups

• tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    It can be a dog pile sometimes, for sure. Don't worry about it too much. :)
  • Verity1111
    Options
    There's been a lot of this lately....

People get angry over fitness when they are told the truth. There has been a trend of people being angry when being called out for their excuses, but the truth is no one is being bitter, we're all just trying to help people see the light. You can only tip toe around things so much. Look, nothing is fun or easy about "fixing bad life habits" and sometimes it's really hard to hear it. There's been a rash of people lately just... taking it way too personally.

Chin up. Pony up. Do what's right. That's all anyone can do.

If nothing is wrong there's no advice needed so why are they trying to change someone's habits when they're working? Stupidity.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A "mean people" thread on a Monday?

Don't worry OP...I doubt you'll be getting much help for anything anymore from veteran members of the community...

I am a close enough to veteran of the community. I've been here over 6 years.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    It can be a dog pile sometimes, for sure. Don't worry about it too much. :)

I agree. People here are missing the point too. Giving advice where advice isn't requested or needed = drama or trolling.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    It's been my experience that every helpful poster on these forums, every single one, will be called rude, mean, negative, troll, bully, know-it-all, etc. at some point or another no matter how carefully they phrase their advice. Posts like this tend not to be very helpful. When every helpful poster is called out as mean at some point or another, then making a post like this without examples or qualifications just ends up pointing fingers at everyone.

There is some actual rudeness that goes above and beyond what should be acceptable here. Report it (use the actual report function not the flags) or call it out where you see it. But posts like this just add to the negative atmosphere that you're trying to combat instead of solving anything.

And if you want to see better, more nuanced advice on the boards, jump in and give it! Please. Those of us who try to help out get overwhelmed at this time of year. We can't answer everyone. We can't spend hours hand-holding someone who needs it. If you can do that, then help us! Instead of putting down those of us who are trying our best.

Or go start a group. That's always been an option. But insulting everyone because you don't like what some people have to say isn't helpful. These boards don't need any more irony.

I didn't ask for help. That's the point of why I'm annoyed. I was asked for people to share their experiences out of sheer curiosity and people came along to start telling me I'm wrong about my own experiences.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Just remember, opinions are opinions and facts are facts. The problem arises when one's opinion tries to refute a fact as wrong. That's just not possible and will be called out (thankfully) by most of the "know it alls".

There's a difference between opinions and experiences. If I make a post saying hey how much do you tend to maintain at and we all say different answers and some of us have different levels but our activity is about the same then someone comes along and says "youre liars because you have the same activity and weight so you have the same maintenance" thats not helpful. Obviously we know what works for us and no one asked for advice. It's useless.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I don't get any so no. People on here are jerks. It's been this way the entire time I've been here. Half are decent the other half jump in threads that have nothing to do with them just to argue. It ruins fun chit chat.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    It's been my experience that every helpful poster on these forums, every single one, will be called rude, mean, negative, troll, bully, know-it-all, etc. at some point or another no matter how carefully they phrase their advice. Posts like this tend not to be very helpful. When every helpful poster is called out as mean at some point or another, then making a post like this without examples or qualifications just ends up pointing fingers at everyone.

There is some actual rudeness that goes above and beyond what should be acceptable here. Report it (use the actual report function not the flags) or call it out where you see it. But posts like this just add to the negative atmosphere that you're trying to combat instead of solving anything.

And if you want to see better, more nuanced advice on the boards, jump in and give it! Please. Those of us who try to help out get overwhelmed at this time of year. We can't answer everyone. We can't spend hours hand-holding someone who needs it. If you can do that, then help us! Instead of putting down those of us who are trying our best.

Or go start a group. That's always been an option. But insulting everyone because you don't like what some people have to say isn't helpful. These boards don't need any more irony.

I didn't ask for help. That's the point of why I'm annoyed. I was asked for people to share their experiences out of sheer curiosity and people came along to start telling me I'm wrong about my own experiences.

I don't know what you may or may not have asked for as I haven't seen another thread of yours since the great non-clean eating thread (which I'm suddenly glad I never joined). What I do know is that you started a thread to call myself and everyone else on these boards a "bitter soul." Why do that? Why insult all of us when you know how mean people threads will end?
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Nevada wrote: »
    ver·i·ty
    ˈverədē/
    noun
    a true principle or belief, especially one of fundamental importance.
    "the eternal verities"
    truth.
    "irrefutable, objective verity"

I find the intolerance here of dieting BS refreshing, useful, and effective. The old-timers here have a lot of truth to share.

I am an old enough timer here. I dont need their help unless I ask for it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

I don't get any so no. People on here are jerks. It's been this way the entire time I've been here. Half are decent the other half jump in threads that have nothing to do with them just to argue. It ruins fun chit chat.

There's a special board if you just want chit-chat.
This discussion has been closed.