Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Daily activity calories????

Am I suppose to be keeping track of my normal activity, such as laundry, sweeping, dishes, showering, etc?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    No. Your activity level selection accounts for that. Even the sedentary/low active accounts for basic daily activities like that.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited April 2017
    i add cleaning as an activity if it's cleaning where i'm continually on the move - an hour sweeping, mopping, moving boxes and so on without breaks i log as an activity. that's worked for me well. btw, i listed myself as sedentary. for spring cleaning, i spent an hour carrying recycling and rubbish out continually. i broke a sweat, my heart rate monitor showed the same as a very fast walk, so i logged that.

washing dishes, showering, light dusting - they're just a part of life, and i don't log them.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Am I suppose to be keeping track of my normal activity, such as laundry, sweeping, dishes, showering, etc?

Not your "normal" activity, especially if it is a daily routine. If you do some unusual activity which involved extra exertion, then it should be recorded.

Mowing the lawn once every few weeks, repairing the garden shed, painting your bedroom, would all be extras outside of your normal daily activity.
  • ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    Up to you honestly... Personally I don't count anything other than workouts.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member

If you want to. Personally, I don't, because (1) it's a lot of work to track all of that, and (2) I don't think I'm burning any significant number of calories this way.

There isn't a right or wrong answer, it's what works best for you. My thinking is that taking a shower won't earn me enough calories to eat a grape, so it's not worth the time or effort.
    No. Your activity level selection accounts for that. Even the sedentary/low active accounts for basic daily activities like that.

This is one way you can do it. While this "activity level" business is vague and inaccurate, it's also easy, and most people have something of a routine, so it basically works for a lot of people. Keep in mind that you're still eating your laundry and sweeping calories back if you fold them into your activity level, you're just not tracking them individually (like line items on a receipt).
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    If you have fitbit it will track everything for you. All the steps you take while cleaning it accounts for.
    I set MFP to no activity that way I don't get any extra calories and I let my steps and heart rate through my fitbit give me the calories I deserve because I actually burned them.