Fitbit calories

Options
Hello I don't understand the Fitbit calories this is what Mine shows burned ( 2600 ) for the day but doesn't match calories in the remaining section (1359) which one is accurate.

Replies

• Rajions
    Rajions Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The calories remaining should be the calories you can eat to basically match up with the calories burned to maintain your weight. So you must've eaten 1241 calories. 1241+1359=2600

Yeah, 1359 is the difference.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Doesn't match to what? If you're comparing Fitbit calories left to MFP calories left, and its only part way thru the day: there is going to be a big gap.

This happens because your MFP calories assume a steady activity level thru the day, but Fitbit awards calories as you burn them. So your Fitbit 'calories left' will start out low and increase as you move thru your day. While calories left on MFP will update each time you sync to Fitbit, comparing your actual activity for what you've done so far to your stated activity level. And assuming your stated activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc.) for the rest of the day.

Example: my bmr is about 1325, its early in the day and I've not moved much. I have MFP (lightly active) and Fitbit set to maintenance. Right now MFP says I can eat about 1640. Fitbit says I can eat about 1350. I've not logged anything and I've taken ~2000 steps. MFP assumes I will be lightly active for the rest of the day, while Fitbit is waiting for me to actually be lightly active.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and I use it to track steps but not to track calories. From what I observe it's closish to my TDEE but I eat a consistent amount of calories for a few weeks and then use that data to determine if I should eat more or less. The fitbit is too up and down daily for me to trust its data tbh.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    I have a fitbit and I use it to track steps but not to track calories. From what I observe it's closish to my TDEE but I eat a consistent amount of calories for a few weeks and then use that data to determine if I should eat more or less. The fitbit is too up and down daily for me to trust its data tbh.

I've been logging fitbit calories burned versus MFP calories in and based on the average deficit over about 9 weeks, my expected loss is within a pound of actual loss.

So either 1) the fitbit is pretty accurate, or 2) I'm inaccurate in my intake log by roughly the same amount as the Fitbit is inaccurate in calories burned.

Right now with how I'm tracking input versus how Fitbit is tracking output seems to be close enough.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »

I've been logging fitbit calories burned versus MFP calories in and based on the average deficit over about 9 weeks, my expected loss is within a pound of actual loss.

So either 1) the fitbit is pretty accurate, or 2) I'm inaccurate in my intake log by roughly the same amount as the Fitbit is inaccurate in calories burned.

Right now with how I'm tracking input versus how Fitbit is tracking output seems to be close enough.

I find it's pretty accurate but I've been known to have days where I am part of the furniture and then days where I walk to get groceries 2km away so that's why i don't go day by day but I also find mine pretty accurate
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I find my Fitbit #s reliable also. Was simply trying to explain why the values of calories left to eat for today are different when one looks at Fitbit app vs MFP app. Fitbit is accurate in terms of what you've done so far. But the two apps predict future burns differently.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've only had my fitbit for a couple months but from what I can see it's pretty accurate.