Should I use the good-girl, bad-girl machine?

Options
Lizarking
Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Physical therapist said I have garbage hip abductors (explaining knee valgus in squats, even at low weights). Gave me some band exercises to do.
Since I'm not geriatric, I want to load as much weight as possible. Putting a rubber band on my ankle and pretending I'm Richard Simmons isn't going to cut it.

I generally avoid all things machine related, but it seems like this might work.

Anyone run into problems with the machine? Imbalances or dysfunctions created by the use of it? Is there a barbell / free weight way to do it?

Already started barbell hip thrusters.

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Huh, WUT?
  • Lizarking
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Huh, WUT?

You know, the good-girl, bad-girl machine.

hip-abduction-400x400_0.jpg
  • blondie_mfp
    blondie_mfp Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    no advice from me, I just wanted to say I love what you called it :lol:
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    stick to the plan that the PT gave you!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Bret Contreras talks about/recommends abduction exercises regularly. I have seen him recommend the seated hip abduction machine.

I think people get a little crazed in their anti-machine stances sometimes.
  • Lizarking
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    Physical therapist said I have garbage hip abductors (explaining knee valgus in squats, even at low weights). Gave me some band exercises to do.
    Since I'm not geriatric, I want to load as much weight as possible. Putting a rubber band on my ankle and pretending I'm Richard Simmons isn't going to cut it.

I generally avoid all things machine related, but it seems like this might work.

Anyone run into problems with the machine? Imbalances or dysfunctions created by the use of it? Is there a barbell / free weight way to do it?

so, just to get this clear... your physical therapist gave you some exercises to do... but you're so bad *kitten* you're not going to do them and do what you want to do anyway.... with 'as much weight as possible'...

sounds great, keep up posted how you get on...

More or less, yes. It's always worked out well for me in the past.
    Have to consider, the target audience for the exercises includes the elderly and people with severe atrophy (Been there, done that.)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

so, just to get this clear... your physical therapist gave you some exercises to do... but you're so bad *kitten* you're not going to do them and do what you want to do anyway.... with 'as much weight as possible'...

sounds great, keep up posted how you get on...

More or less, yes. It's always worked out well for me in the past.
    Have to consider, the target audience for the exercises includes the elderly and people with severe atrophy (Been there, done that.)

so why see a physical therapist then, if you know better?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    your PT should have customized the plan to your specific needs - the target audience is anyone who has issues with a given muscle group/body part that requires treatment - not necessarily elderly/severely atrophied

if you feel like what your PT is giving you isn't working, talk to them - but I advice to not develop your own plan which may run counter to the goals they have established for you
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that pic the adductor machine? Abductor would be the other way around, pushing outwards. That's the way it's set up at my gym anyhow..

I would stick with what the PT gave you for now and ask about using the machine in the future...
    More weight is not always better, you might be surprised how challenging band work can be.
    I like to keep my weight relatively low when using abductor/adductor and go for more reps. If I load up too much weight (on the adductor machine especially) it doesn't feel good, I want a nice and controlled stretch and if it's too heavy I get sloppy.
    I'm not sure what to recommend for other exercises because I'm not entirely sure if you're talking about adductor/abductor...
  • Lizarking
    edited April 2017
    Options
    All right, I'll stick to the bands for now and see how far that gets me. And my band is, incidentally red, so that would be an accurate answer...
    :)

And @ that machine: Probably yes, it was just the first result on image search.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Bret Contreras talks about/recommends abduction exercises regularly. I have seen him recommend the seated hip abduction machine.

I think people get a little crazed in their anti-machine stances sometimes.

I agree.. I think they are great, although I workout at home so I don't have access to them, I do abductions regularly several times per week with bands or cables.

Don't underestimate the use of bands, you can get a really good workout with them. A lot of my strength exercises right now involve bands (mini and large bands), and I am not elderly or in recovery.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Sometimes more / heavier is not what's needed. The bands are going to get those muscles firing and can be used many more ways than that machine. If after further discussion with your PT, they want you to go heavier, then progress to the machine.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    All right, I'll stick to the bands for now and see how far that gets me. And my band is, incidentally red, so that would be an accurate answer...

As I tell my daughter, I know everything. Everything. :smiley:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Good plan. If your abductors really are weak enough you can't squat properly even with low weights, they'll be plenty to start. Plus, you can use the bands when you retrain your squat (starting w/ body weight) as a tool to make yourself actively push your knees out through the whole range of motion.

Once the bands too light, the abduction machine is a good tool to go heavier. I've used it to rehab a hip that likes to rotate out of the socket. Worked wonderfully with steady progression, and did actually have the side effect of improving my squat form.
  • Lizarking
    Options
    Yeah, my knees cave like crazy when I'm squatting 225. I even get some caving on high rep 135.