Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How should I squat?

2»

Replies

• JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    What kind of shoes are you squatting in?

Good question. I don't squat wearing shoes. Just wear socks.

Try putting your heels on 5 lb plates, and then squatting. See if that helps your issues. If it does, you'll probably want to get some squat shoes.

Raising the heel does make squatting easier for most people, but it also places more stress on the knee.
  • JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    Thank you all!

I know a video would of been a great addition to the post but it was more packed than usual yesterday and I hate to record when others are around (because I hate to be recorded without permission). I will try to get a video when the gym is empty.

Squat shoes - will have to invest in some now. I always heard that going barefoot (socks only) works just as great.. but maybe that was only for those who don't have any pain when squatting.

My stance is pretty wide. I do this because I'm 5 ft 7 in tall and feel odd when my stance isn't wide enough and also because of my knees.

Y'all are great. It's nice to have a community to go to who don't mind giving their advice.

With your height, you might not be a good candidate for deep squats - it really depends on segment lengths though. A wide stance does allow for disproportionately long femur people to squat easier, but it's important to push the knees out just as far as your shoes.

Like others have said, without a video there isn't much advice I can give you.