Why am I not seeing results?

Options
I started exercising 4 months ago in hope of losing weight(fat). I go to the gym 3-5 times a week and 2 of those days I work with a trainer.

I eat relatively healthy so I don't think that is the issue. My trainer thought I was under eating so I've slowly increased my intact over the last month and I'm up to 1800 calories a day.

My starting weight was 178 and 4 months later I'm still 177. I'm only 5'4. There are certain areas like my legs where I have seen minor changes. Butover all I'm feeling discouraged.

I'm sticking with it because I know I should but if anyone can help or point me in the right direction thanks in advance!

Replies

• smrybacki
    smrybacki Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Weigh and log everything you eat. Start there.

iuiidamyengr.jpg

Don't know who created this (was it you?) but it is a very useful flow chart!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    smrybacki wrote: »
    Buy a food scale. Weigh and log everything you eat. Start there.

iuiidamyengr.jpg

Don't know who created this (was it you?) but it is a very useful flow chart!

No, @lemonlionheart made it.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    If weight loss is you primary goal then put 90% of your focus on meal planning and accurately logging your calories, to ensure you are in a calorie deficit.

Wait to increase your exercise until after you are in a rhythm on managing your calories, until after diet is giving you predictable results. Only then can you judge if your exercise is burning the extra calories you thought it was (and were eating back)
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and I gain weight consuming an 1800 calorie diet. What was your goal prior to increasing to 1800?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Yep... calories first, exercise second. What does MFP give you for calories when you plug in your stats and choose a weekly weight loss goal of 1 lb/week? Log accurately and eat that.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 1800 is my maintenance right now and I'm 10ish more lbs but sedentary.

I'd double check that number.
  • joshuak30
    joshuak30 Posts: 110 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Your trainer is misleading you, sadly. Unless your workouts are 45-minute HIIT sessions several times a week, you likely aren't in a calorie deficit eating that much. For comparison, I'm an active 165 lb, 5'10" male, and I eat 1800-1900 calories to lose. It's unlikely you should be eating that much.

As others have said, focus on your Calories In to lose weight. Calories Out is much harder to accurately track.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Try 1600 cals instead. If you're not losing, you're not eating in a deficit
  • Classicamyxo
    Classicamyxo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Before I started training I was only consuming 1000-1200 calories per day. Based off the macro calculators online they were saying I needed 2000-2200 a day based on how active I am at work etc. I track 90% of what I'm eating and already have a food scale to make sure especially with pastas and such that I'm not over consuming. I'll be more tedious with it I just didn't know if I'm headed in the wrong direction.
  • Classicamyxo
    Classicamyxo Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I realize this probably isn't what you want to hear, but when someone tells me they are active and maintaining a weight of 178 on 1,000-1,200 calories a day, I suspect logging errors. If you are only tracking 90% of what you're eating, the issue is the 10% you aren't logging, misleading database entries for what you are logging, or issues with correctly measuring your portions.

If you open your diary, we may be able to help you identify the issue. Or you may just want to start logging the other 10% to make sure it isn't sabotaging your weight loss efforts.

How do I open it?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I realize this probably isn't what you want to hear, but when someone tells me they are active and maintaining a weight of 178 on 1,000-1,200 calories a day, I suspect logging errors. If you are only tracking 90% of what you're eating, the issue is the 10% you aren't logging, misleading database entries for what you are logging, or issues with correctly measuring your portions.

If you open your diary, we may be able to help you identify the issue. Or you may just want to start logging the other 10% to make sure it isn't sabotaging your weight loss efforts.

How do I open it?

If you're on the website, you can go to "Settings" (at the top of your screen) and then choose "Diary Settings."
  • MoonGazher
    MoonGazher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just speaking for myself because everyones body is different but when I was on the Birth control pill I had a lot of water retention and weight gain and it was hard for me to lose weight. I went 4 months on a steady regimen and counted every calorie. 1500 cal intake. Im 5"4 and 182Ibs and working on it again. Dont give up the fight just change tracks and keep going.
    Good luck friend
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to chime in to say don't give up and give it a little more time. You seem to be on the right track and if you're tracking your CICO and exercising, you WILL see results. Sending positive vibes your way! :smiley: