My Calorie Goal okay or nah?

Options
So I have MFP set to lose 1 lb weekly, set at sedentary, I'm a 5'3 160lb female with this MFP gives me 1230 cals daily. I work a desk job I usually walk for at least 15-30 mintues at lunch and sometimes around the building throughout the day depending on how I feel that day. I am not consistent with the gym I workout anywhere from 2- 4 times weekly with a combination of strength training and cardio. My goal is to lose 20lbs, should I be set to sedentary? All opinions welcomed.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Shanel0916 wrote: »
    So I have MFP set to lose 1 lb weekly, set at sedentary, I'm a 5'3 160lb female with this MFP gives me 1230 cals daily. I work a desk job I usually walk for at least 15-30 mintues at lunch and sometimes around the building throughout the day depending on how I feel that day. I am not consistent with the gym I workout anywhere from 2- 4 times weekly with a combination of strength training and cardio. My goal is to lose 20lbs, should I be set to sedentary? All opinions welcomed.

In MFP's world activity level is based on your job and deliberate exercise gets logged separately.

So start off with 1230 calories & log your gym workouts. You will earn calories on those days. Many people start by eating back 50% of their exercise calories because sometimes the estimates are generous. After awhile you will get a feel for whether or not you can increase the 50% or if you need to decrease it. Not logging the walks is just a way to be a little conservative.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back the calories from your daily walks? If not (if those are just part of your regular daily activity), lightly active might be more accurate.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Try it for 6-8 weeks. See what type of results you get. Adjust if needed.

FWIW, it sounds like too few calories to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As per the way MFP is set up, you'd be sedentary with desk job...but you would log purposeful exercise and get additional calories to account for that activity.

If you're more consistent with exercise, the TDEE approach is easier IMO...i.e. you would include exercise in your activity level and get a higher calorie target.

Also, even though I have a desk job and without deliberate exercise, I was light active as per trial and error...ultimately you just have to start somewhere and make adjustments as necessary...these calculators aren't gospel, they only provide for reasonable estimates to start with based on population data...
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I would suggest sedentary and log your walks and exercise. I'm 5'0 and also work in an office. I'm losing pretty well with my sedentary calories and earning extra for exercise:)
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I set to sedentary, because I usually am, but have my VivoSmart HR synced so I earn extra calories if I am more than sedentary.