Ankle Pain

Options
brb_2013
brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
Hi everyone! I know the first response will be, see a doctor, but frankly I can barely afford my insurance least of all the actual visit costs.

I have an ankle pain that is on the outside of my foot but in that little soft spot below the bone. From reading it sounds like "extensor tendonitis" problem is, I really cannot rest it. I've been icing it at home but it's just not feasible except for nap times (I nanny for twins so I'm on my feet all day). I take ibuprofen for it and that does seem to lessen the pain but it never fully goes away.

Hurts most in motions that bend the foot toward the shin, like going up stairs, walking up hills, etc.

I've limited impact exercise like jogging and have kept our walks slower than usual. I also adjusted my shoe laces on that foot so they're not laced to the top and not as tight as I would usually. But it's been two weeks and I'm unsure what to expect, is it normal to take so long especially since I can't fully get off it?

Anything special you'd do if this were your injury? Money bags and their doctors pssshh (lol just kidding, but for real that budget is tiiiight and I just can't anticipate exactly what it would cost to get it checked out only to hear I just needed to wait longer you know?)

Thank you!!

Replies

• shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Wrap it in a tension band or get a support brace. A soft one. I have that issue at times to.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    shans34 wrote: »
    Wrap it in a tension band or get a support brace. A soft one. I have that issue at times to.

Can those be worn with shoes?
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    PRICE=Protect (with wrap/brace), Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

That kind of pain/injury is soo annoying. I dealt with it recently; it took at least a couple of weeks to resolve and--dang it--I think I've tweaked it again.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I had it last summer. I used K-tape and taped it up. I went to the beach too. It worked great. I was cured in a week, if I remember right.
  • MtnScramble
    MtnScramble Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Any chance that you can get to a running store that has video on a treadmill? Figuring out if you are extending the issue unintentionally could help. Being sore it is likely weaker. Compensating because you have to keep moving (which is understandable, you have a demanding job and schedule) could be making it worse.

If you can see what you are doing to the ankle and there is something that obviously looks like it is straining the injury more you might be able to adjust your compensating in order to no longer hurt it.

The PRICE acronym is your best self treatment. Back a decade or THREE.... for ligament and tendon related injuries we used to ice primarily but have an hour long treatment of 15 minutes alternating ice and heat to wring the area out. Please note that was literally over 30 years ago when that was recommended to me.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Yes you can wear a tension brace with shoes. It slips on like a sock.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    not sure if it would be right for you, but i use a lighter brace i really like. i have ankle problems, and i use the ACE Knitted Ankle Support with no stabilizers. note - when i first bought one, i measured and ordered a medium as per their chart, and it was really tight. when i ordered a large, it worked out great. just the right amount of support, lets me work out, doesn't strangle my ankle.

it might be worth trying a book like this one on amazon, too
    https://www.amazon.com/Fixing-You-Self-treatment-fasciitis-assessing/dp/0982193750/ref=sr_1_2?
    it's not an author i'm familiar with, but i've had good results with similar books for knees and shoulder.
  • suzettedees
    suzettedees Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with the same problem. I'm considering seeing my physiotherapist about it. I think mine is Achilles tendinitis.
  • johnmurrayus1
    johnmurrayus1 Posts: 8 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hie friend, I was also suffering from same sort of ankle injury as you are suffering from. Daily pressure exercises and gym caused injury in my ankle and it was so painful. I tried the same icing home made remedy to get relief from pain but didn't got desired results. Believe me I suffered from this pain for about 6 months. During that time I consulted many doctors, physiotherapists to get rid of this pain but didn't got any help. They gave me medicines but that too didn't worked. Then one day my friend suggested me to try compression sleeve. I ordered it from Healastic online. Using ankle compression sleeve, after a month my injured ankle was fully recovered. I was back to my same daily routine. Medicines give relief for the time being but our body needs proper support for recovery which we actually get using compression sleeve. You should also try this. I will really work on you.