Bulgur - Hard, Soft, Golden (Bobs Red Mill or Other) - Differences/Uses?

Options
mjbnj0001
mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
I'm thinking of taboule (spelling variants?) as accompaniment to BBQ grilled meats, etc. I've had the Neareast-brand boxed kind, and restaurant versions, but consistent with our evolving lifestyle, am embarking on the make-it-yourself route. This stuff seems really simple to assemble.

Any recommendations on the type of bulgur to use? And, how hard is the "hard" wheat, and how soft the "soft" (after cooking)? My wife is having some digestive-tract issues with all the fibrous stuff I've been serving up this month, if you catch my drift. She could use a little tenderness.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Replies

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I've used several different bulgurs. Coarse, medium and fine. They all tasted the same to me. I bought them at the Mediterranean grocery store. I don't think they had a different fiber content, I think it had to do with the size of the grain and how long it took to cook/soften.

And definately make it yourself! So much better. I make a bulgur salad with oven roasted eggplant/red onion and garlic. I add fresh parsley, chick peas, feta and a lemon vinaigrette. I might also add halved grape tomatoes and pine nuts. Let it sit and marinate and it's the bomb the 2nd day.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    thanks!