Deleted Instagram to help me stay focused!

Options
Hi, I deleted my Social media apps from my phone a couple days ago. Only 48 hours in this clean eating and exercise routine and I already can feel myself staying more focused on my goal and motivated. I realized I was spending way to much time comparing my body to other women. Has anyone else took the anti social media plunge? Do you guys compare yourself to others often?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I do not compare myself. Not my cup of tea. I also don't use social media much.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've done social media "fasts" and actually found them pretty nice. Makes me wonder why I don't do it more often.
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have Instagram. Just Facebook and LinkedIn. I do visit some Instagram accounts focused on fitness. To be honest I haven't been using Facebook as much. I have deactivated my account since January this year and I won't sign back on until my birthday in June. I want to surprise my friends and family members with my weight loss. I have very high self confidence. I always think of myself as unique and different. What might work for of others won't necessary work for me.

Good for you for doing what you need to do to achieve your goal. If social media was a distraction then that was the right move. Comparison is the thief of joy. You are more than just your physical body. As you lose the weight remember to work on improving yourself self-confidence.

Hang in there! One day at a time.
  • __Lora__
    __Lora__ Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing with Facebook. Instagram is a big motivator for me so I use it to my advantage. It feels weird at first, but then it's amazing how much time I have on my hands when releasing the hold social media holds on me! Your post radiates positive and support, love it!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I usually just use social media to de-stress. All my Instagram is people with similar hobbies, so I enjoy looking at their creative works. As for Facebook, I don't browse much and I "hide" any friends that I find irritating. Facebook is kind of a necessary evil for me because I run a few business pages through it. I'd lose a lot of bookings if I deleted my side business page, unfortunately.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kkarl12964 wrote: »
    Hi, I deleted my Social media apps from my phone a couple days ago. Only 48 hours in this clean eating and exercise routine and I already can feel myself staying more focused on my goal and motivated. I realized I was spending way to much time comparing my body to other women. Has anyone else took the anti social media plunge? Do you guys compare yourself to others often?

I was compelled to compare my body to other women earlier out of necessity to gauge my progress - lbs lost/duration VS calories VS activity level, whilst learning their pangs for cautionary reasons, to anticipate risks (+/-) and to consider inculcating preventative protocols (little to zero side-effects). Fortunately, for the sake of consistency, Myfitnesspal is my preferred social media. Any other medium just wouldn't do for it is solely for family/clan purposes.

I'm not at all an ardent comp-person (comparing myself to someone else), for I obsess over my very own body ratios, proportions and skin quality. It keeps me focused. Furthers my ability to stay motivated. When I do view and read through the accounts of other women/men, it is always out of the utmost respect with the full intention to grasp and learn the proper approaches to any queries I have.

ETA: Typo
  • ana_varn
    ana_varn Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    To be honest I don't follow fashion, nutrition, fitness etc. on instagram or facebook. I follow photography, poetry and funny stuff and well.. my friends. However, I am not against fasting on social media as they can be a burden on my studying and time management overall! If that helps you then you did well. Maybe since you were comparing yourself to these "models" it was the best idea for now.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I use social media strictly to keep up with what my friends are saying and posting (Instagram and Twitter at least...I find my eyes rolling at FB nearly every day lately). I don't care what others are posting.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I was never in Facebook (only Linkedln when I was still working), and certainly not in Instagram or that Twitter thingy that "some" people seems to be so attached to. If want to communicate with friends and family, a quick text or e-mail, a card or letter, or a phone call works for me.

I find MFP involved enough to follow anything or anybody else in other social media venues. When on vacation, I unplug from this website too and I feel liberated and free.

As of comparing myself to other people...well, at my age that would be silly and futile (but sometimes I do it ;).)