Energy gels

Options
Looking for recommendations for decent tasting and useful energy gels for long runs please! UK based

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Salted caramel GU is delicious!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Tropical punch clif bloks. Or (cheap) fruit snacks if you don't mind separate electrolyte tablets.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Tropical punch clif bloks. Or (cheap) fruit snacks if you don't mind separate electrolyte tablets.

I got some bloks to try but decided I didn't like the idea of trying to chew when I was running, so I gave them away to a cycling friend!
  • ritzvin
    Options
    For the liquid-type gels, Hammer Nutrition Chocolate was pretty good..but I don't know about shipping to the UK.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    For the liquid-type gels, Hammer Nutrition Chocolate was pretty good..but I don't know about shipping to the UK.

I mainly preferred them over Gu because you could buy in a bulk bottle and use a (much less messy) refillable dispenser bottle. I think gu was/is only available in those annoying single-serve disposable pouches that are messy to hang onto afterward.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Buy as many different ones as you can afford and try them. For me even one brand can vary from flavor to flavor whether it bothers my stomach.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Espresso Love, Salted Caramel and Banana Strawberry are tasty and easy for me to digest. A lot of the fruit ones taste like pie filling, but can be too sweet for me. I like the Margarita flavored shot blocks. If you have a hard time chewing them, cut them in half before you run. For a more natural sugar rush, pitted dates or figs are good.
  • beckyboyes
    beckyboyes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Torq gels are amazing, they do raspberry ripple, apple crumble, banoffee and others which I can't remember there flavours. My fave is the raspberry ripple one
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I like the wiggle brand. I don't care about the taste but these make the hills seem easier near the end.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Torq rhubarb and custard gel - yum!

But generally I just buy what's on special offer, I eat them for effect not for enjoyment.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will try a few, but funds are limited so i wanted to at least know some people like ones I buy lol. Will be trying gels over blocks because i'll probably choke if I try to chew anything while I run! Salted caramel sounds amazing
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Misssynth wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I will try a few, but funds are limited so i wanted to at least know some people like ones I buy lol. Will be trying gels over blocks because i'll probably choke if I try to chew anything while I run! Salted caramel sounds amazing

how long are your long runs? the GU gels are pretty expensive so if money is tight then maybe look at your pre -run fueling instead? fueling isn't really necessary till marathon distance.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    have you tried.....food?

seriously, what about real food? There are things you could try such as bananas mashed in a bag slurped down, same with apple sauce (what about those baby food pouches although possibly similarly expensive to gels), raisins and other dried fruit?

It's worth experimenting and worth trying a variety because you'll get to a point where gels taste pretty disgusting...
  • ritzvin
    Options

how long are your long runs? the GU gels are pretty expensive so if money is tight then maybe look at your pre -run fueling instead? fueling isn't really necessary till marathon distance.

Unfortunately, they are in chew form, but if money is tight, fruit snacks (typically dirt cheap for the same number of calories) have a pretty similar nutritional profile to most of the energy gels/chews (basically a gelatinized flavoured starch syrup) except for no added electrolytes (which can be added to water if you are also carrying that with you on longer runs).
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    There were endless jokes on a few long, group runs about a teammate who made his own gu.
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think the roll your own approach is very underrated. I make a ton of recipes that I have found in the book 'feed zone portables' delicious and cost conscious.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    I think the roll your own approach is very underrated. I make a ton of recipes that I have found in the book 'feed zone portables' delicious and cost conscious.

hmm..I'll have to check some of those out..off the top of my head, some Hershey's syrup & light corn syrup would probably work in a pinch. I think straight honey is also pretty popular.

~ after some very brief googling: http://www.slocyclist.com/make-your-own-energy-gels-cheaply-easily/
    (They also link to the gel flask I mentioned earlier from Hammer Nutrition).
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    an option is fig newtons..cheaper..is chewy...Nunn and Tailwind are great,,,Hammers has good gels