stretching

Options
I am starting personal training again after about a 2 year hiatus. I am obviously a little rusty, so should I stretch before the work out, or just do some light cardio (i.e. walking for 10 minutes). How about after the workout? I will discuss this with my personal trainer as well, but I would appreciate some input from you all :)

Replies

• Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I do dynastic stretching to warm myself up and get loose. if I find that I need a good stretch in a certain area, I do a light stretch.
    Stretching after your meant to do so your not too sore in next few days, over time you get tighter and tighter but never see anyone do it that's why your prob see muscle heads unable to move problery haha
    I go to stretching class one a week for a deep stretch for all the work/workouts/sports I do (flipping hurts) helps a lot
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Most people don't realize stretching is a waste of time unless injured.

There is zero data that proves stretching, foam rolling, or mobilty wod before working out is beneficial in a long term basis.

It's more of a placebo effect which hey, if you think it's doing something and it feels good go for it. My point is there are better things to do with your time than stretch etc...

The best warm up you can do is a less intense variety of the actual exercise you are about to perform.

So a light jog, if you're running. Or warm up sets squating when you're doing leg day.

Something like rowing is regarded as a efficient warm up otherwise.
  • megiare
    megiare Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

There is zero data that proves stretching, foam rolling, or mobilty wod before working out is beneficial in a long term basis.

It's more of a placebo effect which hey, if you think it's doing something and it feels good go for it. My point is there are better things to do with your time than stretch etc...

The best warm up you can do is a less intense variety of the actual exercise you are about to perform.

So a light jog, if you're running. Or warm up sets squating when you're doing leg day.

Foam rolling and movement exercises before a lift are beneficial, more so than a light variation of the exercise you're about to perform. You would, and should, do all of those things to help lower the risk of injury. Foam rolling helps promote blood flow, decreases the severeness of DOMs, works out the knots in your muscles we develop, and more. Dynamic stretches/movements get your muscles warmed up THEN you do a warmup set of whatever you're about to do.

What you should not do is static stretching BEFORE a lift/workign out. That should be reserved for after.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    megiare wrote: »

Foam rolling and movement exercises before a lift are beneficial, more so than a light variation of the exercise you're about to perform. You would, and should, do all of those things to help lower the risk of injury. Foam rolling helps promote blood flow, decreases the severeness of DOMs, works out the knots in your muscles we develop, and more. Dynamic stretches/movements get your muscles warmed up THEN you do a warmup set of whatever you're about to do.

What you should not do is static stretching BEFORE a lift/workign out. That should be reserved for after.

Data that proves your assumptions?

• megiare
    megiare Posts: 4 Member
    Options

wth do I need data for?? I never said it did anything long term. Your advice is ill informed.
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

No it isn't.
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Agree. It can actually cause fatigue or over extension, depending on what the assessed goal is before the workout even begins. Again, it's subjective for personal like. So if you like it and want to do it, then do it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't static stretch before my workout...I get warmed up with 3-5 minutes on the stationary bike and then I usually do some overhead squats with a PVC pipe to loosen up my shoulders and hips and knees and a little band work for my shoulder mobility (I have shoulder issues).
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before but I stretch and foam roll after running.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Never try to do a PR heavy lift with your first set and you will be fine. If you are sore stretch, if not, GET SOME!!! Listen to your body it will tell you what you need to do. Ease back into working out because your mind may be willing but your body may not be ready. There isn't a one size fits all with workouts, diet, stretching or anything. Just really find what works for you and gives you the results you can see and feel.

"Opinions are like A@@holes everyone's got one"
  • Chieflrg
    edited April 2017
    Options

wth do I need data for?? I never said it did anything long term. Your advice is ill informed.

Youre claiming that foam rolling is more beneficial than not before lifting and prevents injury.

How is foam rolling better instead of just warming up squating with a Oly bar for warm up when you are going to squat?

Why is a light jog before running bad advice?

I would like to see proof of this.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    "Recent studies caution people away from stretching before workouts, suggesting it actually impedes your body’s performance. According to this research, runners run more slowly, jumpers jump less high, and weight lifters lift more weakly by stretching, without significantly ensuring against injury during their exercise."

https://www.bu.edu/today/2015/stretch-before-exercise-not-so-fast/
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Regarding foam rolling, there's some evidence that it may reduce soreness and cause an increase in short term flexibility.

However, the mechanisms for this aren't clearly understood (it's not changes to fascial plasticity).

Having said that (and I literally just got done recording a podcast where we talked about this) I don't think making the general recommendation that everyone should foam roll is necessarily a good piece of advice.

If you have excessive soreness and want to reduce it, foam rolling is one potential method you could incorporate.

If you NEED additional joint ROM to perform a specific movement, then foam rolling just before doing that movement or during your warm-ups for that specific movement would be one suitable method. The advantage of foam rolling compared to static stretching would primarily be in foam rolling not negatively impacting performance whereas stretching might.

However, not everyone needs these two outcomes. If you already have adequate joint ROM to perform a technique safely and effectively, more is not necessarily better.

The purpose of a warm-up is to adequately prepare you to perform safely and effectively, but for the most part you should find an efficient method of doing this. I spend about ~2 minutes foam rolling entirely on a need basis. If something feels tight, I'll roll a bit during warmups. If not, I don't, because why add something in that isn't providing me with a benefit?

I'm not aware of any evidence that foam rolling reduces injury risk but if that evidence exists I'm interested.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I gotta say, too, that while stretching has not been conclusively shown to decrease the risk of injury, that doesn't mean it is not useful. Do yoga for two weeks; your flexibility will improve. There is a huge benefit in that.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I gotta say, too, that while stretching has not been conclusively shown to decrease the risk of injury, that doesn't mean it is not useful. Do yoga for two weeks; your flexibility will improve. There is a huge benefit in that.

There's a benefit if you are obtaining necessary mobility to perform specific tasks. Sometimes that's highly specific.
  • GiddyupTim
    Options
    But Side,
    That is not really true that it is highly specific.
    I am going to want to be able to run, no matter who I am or what I do (powerlifter, shuffleboard player, etc.). I am going to want to be able to squat down to pick something up off the floor.
    Those activities will be easier if I have greater flexibility.
    No, I don't necessarily want a ton of flexibility in my iliotibial bands if I am a sprinter. But I guarantee I will run faster and better if my hamstrings and my quads are not tight.
    In addition, I must say: My understanding of the actual studies that say stretching does not prevent injury were pretty short term. Sure, over eight weeks of stretching, and eight weeks of follow-up, you might not see a huge difference in injury rates. But common sense tells me that the guy who can bend over and touch his toes is going to be less likely to pull a hammie than the guy who is so tight he can barely touch his knees. And I believe I have seen this.
    One more thing: The research that has shown that you lose strength for an hour or so after static stretching have shown a very minimal loss, one you probably would not even notice when you were weight lifting. Maybe if you were competing in weight lifting. Certainly not if you were playing baseball or tennis or soccer or even rugby.
  • SideSteel
    edited April 2017
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    But Side,
    That is not really true that it is highly specific.
    I am going to want to be able to run, no matter who I am or what I do (powerlifter, shuffleboard player, etc.). I am going to want to be able to squat down to pick something up off the floor.
    Those activities will be easier if I have greater flexibility.
    No, I don't necessarily want a ton of flexibility in my iliotibial bands if I am a sprinter. But I guarantee I will run faster and better if my hamstrings and my quads are not tight.
    In addition, I must say: My understanding of the actual studies that say stretching does not prevent injury were pretty short term. Sure, over eight weeks of stretching, and eight weeks of follow-up, you might not see a huge difference in injury rates. But common sense tells me that the guy who can bend over and touch his toes is going to be less likely to pull a hammie than the guy who is so tight he can barely touch his knees. And I believe I have seen this.
    One more thing: The research that has shown that you lose strength for an hour or so after static stretching have shown a very minimal loss, one you probably would not even notice when you were weight lifting. Maybe if you were competing in weight lifting. Certainly not if you were playing baseball or tennis or soccer or even rugby.

I'm not sure if I was clear with my original post based on your reply here so let me try to re-word things.

If you cannot run due to limited flexibility, or you cannot tie your shoes because you can't bend over, or you cannot perform some other specific task due to lacking mobility, you should do what you need to do in order to acquire that mobility.

Once you have enough mobility to comfortably tie your shoes and pick up things off of the floor, you don't necessarily need MORE mobility or flexibility than this for that specific task.

This is what I mean by it being specific to tasks but perhaps that's a poor phrasing on my part. We judge the need for mobility based on things we are trying to do either in athletics or in life. Once we have "enough" to do those things, more isn't better.

If I have enough mobility to squat in a safe and effective manner then I don't need additional mobility work for the goal of squatting in a safe and effective manner.

This is what I mean by it being specific.
  • GiddyupTim
    Options
    ^ Thanks. Course.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions everyone. From what I understand, I just have to stretch as needed - I am pretty sure that's what I did before along with regular yoga and light cardio.