So frustrated

Options
I have lost just over 4lbs in the last 2 months. My calorie goal is meant to lose on average 1lb per week. But seems in the last 8 weeks this has halved. I still have at least a stone (14lbs) I want to lose, as well as go down another dress size. I'm staying under my calorie goal, I'm still exercising. Why is it just getting so difficult to budge now?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,485 Member
    Options
    If I understand your post, you are still losing. Keep going. If you can live with this program and you are losing, change your calendar, not your program. The trend is your friend.

You are losing, but your brain is saying "Not good enough." Tell that voice to shut up. If you lose this weight and it stays gone, a few extra weeks won't matter a bit.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Congrats on heading in the right direction! A few questions to help guide you in the right direction to lose at the rate you want to:
    • Are you using a food scale to weigh solid foods and using measuring cups for liquids?
    • Using accurate database entries? (The MFP database is user-entered and riddled with inaccurate entries.)
    • Logging EVERYTHING? Every bite, every day.
    • Do you exercise and eat back your activity calories? All of them, or a portion?
    • Regarding above, how are your activity calories calculated? MFP exercise entries, HRM, FitBit, machine (e.g. treadmill says you burned xx calories during your workout)?

Where I'm going with this is, your body is telling you by losing 1/2 lb/wk instead of 1 lb/wk that while you are still eating at a deficit, it may not be as large a deficit at you think. Some of the things listed above are common culprits.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have lost just over 4lbs in the last 2 months. My calorie goal is meant to lose on average 1lb per week. But seems in the last 8 weeks this has halved. I still have at least a stone (14lbs) I want to lose, as well as go down another dress size. I'm staying under my calorie goal, I'm still exercising. Why is it just getting so difficult to budge now?

Are you logging everything you eat and drink, every day? Do you use a food scale? If not, you are probably eating more than you think - it's a really common issue.

Try committing to 2 weeks of being super-accurate with your logging, use a food scale for all solids (packaged stuff, unpackaged stuff, butter, nut butter, fruits, everything), and double check the entries you are using in the database for accuracy (a lot of them are crap). I bet something will pop out at you showing why you are losing slower than expected!

When I started using a food scale, I found I was eating 200-300 calories more than I thought, and that's a half-pound per week's worth. You don't have to do it forever (though a lot of us do) but if you can commit to it for a short time at least it will really help. Good luck :drinker:
  • Premed100
    Premed100 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Slow & steady wins the race. What you are doing seems to be working, one small change could make a difference. I don't know what your exercise amounts are like but a little more could may a difference (unless you are already training to the max)