Diet HELP! Traveling for work.

Options
I am leaving for a week long work conference tomorrow. There will be lots of FREE food. Anyone have any traveling diet tips? This will be a test...

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Are you driving? Flying?
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you could get a menu or list of vendors?
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Don't stress is number one. If you come home and feel like you went off track during the trip, remember that you can get right back on track.

Otherwise, for me when I'm faced with food temptations I try to just not completely throw in the towel. Yes, I'm going to eat food I can't accurately log and I will probably be over my calorie goal, but it doesn't mean I have to say "Screw it," and pick the non diet soda, big dessert portion, french fries, etc. It just depends on your personality. For me, I have trouble with moderation so I have to remind myself that going over a little doesn't mean I have to give up and go over a lot. If that's not your personality, then the other alternative is to just view it as a vacation, enjoy it, and get back on track when you get home.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The cheap person in me says food tastes better when it's free. I obviously don't have any good advice.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time, and it can be a challenge. I'll tell you what works for me. Usually travel means lots of eating out. This means alcohol too. So the calories can add up. Use portion telling methods (deck of cards for protein), fist for apples, fruit, potato. Eat lighter than you think you need to. I tend to try to feel a little bit hungry in the evening as a gauge. I also avoid desserts, excess sugar, and white bread. If you can hit the fitness room in the morning or evening, try to do it, though that can be a challenge. Try to get out and walk around if you are in a cool location.

Other than that, you can't really bust out a scale or check portions, etc. You will have to be disciplined, but you can do it.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Not to be a wise *kitten* but you aren't obligated to eat it just because it's there and it's free. Most every work conference my husband has ever attended out of town has had healthy offerings at the buffet lunch/dinners- seek out those and guesstimate as best you can in your logging!
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Oh one more idea. I divide the plate up when I eat, especially if it's a buffet lunch. Half the plate is for leafy green, low starch vegetables that you can stock up on. A quarter for starchy vegetable like a potato if you can't avoid it. And the other quarter for protein. You can substitute the starchy food portion for additional protein or for leafy greens depending on your macros.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Not to be a wise *kitten* but you aren't obligated to eat it just because it's there and it's free. Most every work conference my husband has ever attended out of town has had healthy offerings at the buffet lunch/dinners- seek out those and guesstimate as best you can in your logging!

This

Also, I recently spent a few days out of town for work and had no way to prepare my own meals. I looked on mapquest to find a restaurant a few miles away and walked there and back. Among other things, the continental breakfast at the motel included hard boiled eggs and oatmeal.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I help plan the annual conference for my professional association, including selecting the menus. I always try to include some lower-calorie "healthy" options (for somewhat selfish reasons). Hopefully, your conference organizers will do the same. If not, sample everything you like, but watch the portion sizes. Hit the hotel gym when you can, especially if you're going to be sitting in meetings all day. I usually do okay during the day at our conference, but then we all go out for drinks later, and well, there goes that calorie budget.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Eat healthy where you can, like if they have fruits and veggies or salad and then don't stress about where you can't.

Also use the hotel gym if they have one, it makes you feel so much better about the moments where you don't have control over the options.

But ultimately my advice is not to stress it too much, every day is a new day including the day after a work trip :smile: it won't derail all your hard work as long as you get back to normal when you get back!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Thanks for you for your advice. Unfortunately, I lack complete food discipline in the face of temptation and social pressure. This is why I am asking for help...

@Blitzia - Yes, I will try moderation and healthy portions/choices. It will be hard with all the restaurants and vendor dinners, etc. I know a week wont completely derail my year of progress. I just get so worried I am going to revert back to my old "feel like crap all the time" self.

@Drussander Dividing up the plate sounds like a decent game plan. There will be no buffet option. This might work for catered and restaurant events. Thanks for the tip!

I am staying at a hotel with a gym but won't be able to get my usual level of activity in. My time is literally scheduled to the hour.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are at a social with alcohol get one drink and nurse it. No-one will try and foist more on you. Also, your hands will be full. No room for extra hors d'ouvre.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Not sure about you, but I absolutely suck at being out of my normal routine. I suck at turning down free food. And I suck at being out of my comfort zone. Therefore, I suck at business travel. The only advice I can give is to stay as in your routine as possible in terms of meal timing and the foods you normally eat. Hit the hotel gym hard every morning without fail to have a cushion. Don't be afraid to say you don't want a drink (or another drink) because you want to get an early start. Lastly, don't bother eating anything you don't enjoy just because it's free.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Having a highly scheduled event will definitely make it more challenging, I feel for you!

I grew up poor so the "Omg free food eat it all right.*kitten*.now" was strong in me, that learned response is a hard one to get over. But eventually you have to just decide you and your health are infinitely valuable whereas free food is basically worthless. I wish you a lot of success at your conference!