2 a day Exercise Regimen!

Options
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone do 2 a day exercise regimens? It's working out twice a day. I preferably do my first in the morning and my second around 4 or 5pm. I do them like 2-3 days a week and it has me feeling awesome. If you do, list tips, success and any other ideas!

Replies

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Sometimes I lift in the morning and run at night. Sometimes I run on the treadmill after lifting in the morning. If I run at night it's usually due to leg day in the morning or it'll be nicer by time I get off work. If I'm feeling extra fidgety, I'll do a quick 2 mile before dinner to mellow out.

There is no real benefit to working out twice a day. In fact, it makes you more susceptible to injury if you're doing two heavy sessions. I just do it because it's more convenient or allows me to have a break between a lift and run.

ETA: I didn't add any tips :smile: First, listen to your body. It's very easy to over train. Make sure you're not overdoing both sessions, if one was hard, the other should be a recovery/lower tempo. Be careful of burnout. Especially if you're going to a gym twice a day, that's a tough one. I'm not sure how you're breaking it up, but it would be best to do a strength one and cardio another. Obviously, whatever you found works for you is best, just be careful of injury.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'll do 2 a days, 2-3 times a week - normally, I do weights M,W,F in the am and then i'll do cardio in the evening (swim, bike or run); on the weekend i'll also do a brick session (back to back bike/run workout)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do. Right now, my schedule is some sort of cardio dvd (like turbo jam, zumba, etc...) in the morning before work, then T/TH 4:45ish pm is lifting. M/W I either run in the afternoon or do another dvd. Friday might be an evening off, or I might do some yoga/PiYo. Saturday and Sunday are either a long run or 1 hour circuit dvd with dumbbells, plus some extra walking with my dogs(weather permitting) and maybe some yoga.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I do this kinda often. I like to always do some sort of work out in the daytime just in case my husband is too tired to workout together at night, that way I don't miss a work out (sounds silly but I get very little time with the hubs due to his schedule, so I would rather skip a workout than skip time with him). It varies what I do depending on my energy level.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    That's been my routine for a little while now. I vary what I do depending on what's going on and how hard I did something last time and how things feel. I'll do arms and abs, legs, general cardio like rower or stair stepper or elliptical at the gym, I also skate, run on the treadmill.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    i'll do 2 a days, 2-3 times a week - normally, I do weights M,W,F in the am and then i'll do cardio in the evening (swim, bike or run); on the weekend i'll also do a brick session (back to back bike/run workout)

I'm starting brick sessions mid May. Did you follow any plan at all?
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and stretching in the morning and lift after work. I second the advice to split cardio and resistance training. I do cardio first because it wakes me up and because I enjoy it less than lifting. It's easier for me to go in the evening if I know I'm going to lift. On the other hand, if I end up skipping the gym in the evening for whatever reason, I've missed the training that's more important to me and that I enjoy more.