Late night munchies

Options
I do good on my diet all day...and then I get home & want to pig out lol. Any tips to fight evening/late night munchies?

Replies

• kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    1) you might not be eating enough during the day or you're a bored eater

2) schedule when you have snacks and meals, and keep to it when you can (emotional eater, this helps me)

3) ask yourself if you're hungry or bored

4) keep healthy snacks around that you can munch on
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you consuming daily? What did you list as your rate of loss on MyFitnessPal? If I was binging at night I would increase my calories and eat more food that would keep me full. Oftentimes people that are New to losing weight will place themselves at such a high rate of loss, and they find themselves binging because of this.
    I would re-evaluate my eating plan if I were you.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead and save some calories for a crunchy snack if that's what you enjoy. I buy single serving bags of cheetos and popcorners for times when I want something snack-y. Each is an affordable 100 to 140 calories that I can plan ahead.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    JBoiSmith wrote: »
    I do good on my diet all day...and then I get home & want to pig out lol. Any tips to fight evening/late night munchies?

When you really eat too much at night, skip breakfast.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You may want to intentionally save up calories to use on eating late at night. I always get hungry in the evening so I plan my day around the fact that I want to have a late night bowl of ice cream or some popcorn. For me, I found "extra" calories by delaying my first meal of the day. If I eat breakfast, I'm hungry again in an hour two, so I decided instead to skip breakfast and save those calories for after dinner.

Otherwise I would follow kayeroze's advice. Late night snacking can be because of boredom or habbit. If you're not truly hungry, try changing your routine. Have a low/no calorie beverage like hot tea or do some activities to distract yourself.
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My advice is to basically get out of the habit of eating late at night. Eat a good dinner that's tasty, nutrient-rich, and uses up the remainder of your calories so you don't have room in your plan to eat more after. Set a goal of just not eating after dinner (maybe plan a specific snack, like a piece of fruit or some frozen vegetables, for if feel really hungry) and try hard to stick to it for say, a week, to break the habit of eating late at night.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I do not have late night munchies. I eat on a fairly consistent schedule. Breakfast 7-8 AM, Lunch 11 AM, Snack 2 PM, Dinner 5 PM. Go to bed at 9 PM.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Blitzia wrote: »
    You may want to intentionally save up calories to use on eating late at night. I always get hungry in the evening so I plan my day around the fact that I want to have a late night bowl of ice cream or some popcorn. For me, I found "extra" calories by delaying my first meal of the day. If I eat breakfast, I'm hungry again in an hour two, so I decided instead to skip breakfast and save those calories for after dinner.

Otherwise I would follow kayeroze's advice. Late night snacking can be because of boredom or habbit. If you're not truly hungry, try changing your routine. Have a low/no calorie beverage like hot tea or do some activities to distract yourself.

This. I just like eating later in the day, don't know why, but I always have! Since calories are king, as long as you are fitting whatever it is you are eating into your daily calorie goal, timing doesn't matter!
    Also, I have found prelogging my food to help a lot! It gives me something to go off of/a plan to stick to that I know allows me to reach my goals if I stick to it.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Prelog your diary and schedule a nighttime snack or meal - that's what works for me, anyway. And if I'm not hungry that night, I end up with a bigger deficit which equals a larger weight loss - no biggie!
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    In connection to what's already been said -
    Popcorn . Air popped or popped with a small amount of oil. You can eat a really large bowl for low cal.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    In connection to what's already been said -
    Popcorn . Air popped or popped with a small amount of oil. You can eat a really large bowl for low cal.

I gave up on carb snacks like popcorn a long time ago. I just didn't find it that satisfying, no matter how much I ate. Now, for a snack, I eat:

1 oz unsalted roasted mixed nuts -or-
    1 oz cheese with 6 "hint of salt" Triscuits -or-
    An orange, apple, or pear (sometimes with 1oz cheese) -or-
    A Kind bar (e.g., caramel, almond, sea salt) -or-
    A small (.3OZ) piece of high-quality dark chocolate with .5OZ nuts or dried fruit

The point is that you eat a small satisfying snack and move on. Learn not to graze.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I find that IF helps me with that problem because I am definitely an evening eater.

I skip breakfast, eat a small lunch around 1pm (400-500 cals) then eat a large dinner (800-900 cals) around 7pm. It keeps me full and feeling cozy and happy for the rest of the night. I hate going to bed hungry!
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too, and the thing that's been helping me change my habit is planning out ahead of time exactly what I'm going to eat for tomorrow and logging it all before I've eaten it. Like a schedule. Once I see the day of meals totaled beforehand I'd feel angrier with myself for deviating than if I just have an empty log and fill in this and that as I go along.