3 weeks, only lost 1 lb, heart broken

Options
1235»

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    jmgwebfit wrote: »
    Weight loss is 85% food, 15% exercise. Take a long, hard look at your portions and serving sizes. Are you drinking anything with calories? Don't give up! Celebrate your 1 pound - keep going!

Did you know 87% of statistics are made up on the spot? lol but nah hes right just find the numbers funny. Weight loss is all about diet exercise just is for health and to eat more which goes back to diet
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Did I miss something or has OP not posted her stats? That information would be truly helpful.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Guys, nobody on this forum has their body protecting them from weight loss - it's bad advice to keep suggesting it as an explanation. Starvation mode literally requires starving yourself for an extended period before your metabolism cuts down. Starving people still lose fat/muscle weight. You also don't add muscle weight out of thin air, if you are in calorie deficit, you will lose body weight (ignoring water retention)

Her possible explanations are very simple
    - she's retaining water
    - she's under-counting her actual calories in
    - she's over-counting her exercise burn

This bears repeating. Over and over. It makes me wonder if anyone reads beyond the OP....

Also, unless one is lifting (overweight/noob), there will be no (or very very little) muscle gain in a deficit, especially not in a short amount of time...
  • TrekkieJenee
    TrekkieJenee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you started your diet and started working out at the same time, you probably aren't seeing weight loss results because you are gaining muscle - and muscle weighs more than fat.

Are your pants looser?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If you started your diet and started working out at the same time, you probably aren't seeing weight loss results because you are gaining muscle - and muscle weighs more than fat.

Are your pants looser?

*sigh*
    No. Muscle gain takes a lot of work and a calorie surplus, and is even harder for women. A little muscle gain is possible for overweight lifting newbies though...Muscle gain will not happen with yoga and a calorie deficit... just ask the many lifting ladies here trying to gain muscle. It. Is. Not. That. Easy.

OP most likely is:
    - she's retaining water

• StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Are your pants looser?

I'm not trying to be a witch but muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the exact same as a pound of fat, it takes up less space that is for sure, but I cringe every time I read the "muscle weighs more than fat statement" as a reason for not losing on the scale and she wouldn't be gaining muscle at that rapid of a pace. And if she is, please I want to know her secret.
  • nickiashing
    nickiashing Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    keep track of measurements (thigh, hips, waist, arm)... perhaps you are losing inches before losing weight. :) This is how I was at the beginning.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Apologies if I missed this, but how much do you plan to lose? People lose weight at various rates depending on several variables, a major one being your current body fat %. If you have less than 20 lbs to lose then this is a reasonable rate.

As several other posters have mentioned you are probably underestimating your intake. Many professionals do this and overestimate by 300 kcals and they have been trained and using scales, so don't get disheartened. Labeling carries an inherent 20% margin of error, so to be careful weight everything and enter 1.2 on calorie dense products.

The key to this is implementing changes that you see yourself doing for a lifetime, so no crazy calorie restrictions or eliminating "bad" foods. It's all good, just in moderation.

Bottom line you are trending in the right direction. Don't sacrifice, but make adjustments. Is it so crazy to go out with friends with a low calorie option or a club soda and lime in hand? The important point is socializing, not what you are drinking/eating.
  • TrekkieJenee
    TrekkieJenee Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Are your pants looser?

*sigh*
    No. Muscle gain takes a lot of work and a calorie surplus, and is even harder for women. A little muscle gain is possible for overweight lifting newbies though...Muscle gain will not happen with yoga and a calorie deficit... just ask the many lifting ladies here trying to gain muscle. It. Is. Not. That. Easy.

OP most likely is:
    - she's retaining water

Possibly. Depends on how old she is and what sort of exercise. I've only *just* started watching what I eat, but in the past, I've started walking and swimming but not curbing what I eat. Never lost a pound, but dropped several pant sizes. :shrug: YMMV
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    lorenelia wrote: »
    Work through this flow chart and tell us what you see.

u7j1lv7jnu2b.jpg

Well...using a food scale when I'm at work is really awkward. I can't see myself weighing my food in front of my co-workers....how do other people do that? Any tips?

At home the night before work
  • DaniG_1987
    DaniG_1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    lorenelia wrote: »
    I'm doing vinyasa yoga 3x week and elliptical 1x week. The days when I'm doing yoga I'm only discounting 200 calories for the workout (it's a pretty tough class, not just stretching and meditation)

I use to do a vinyasa yoga class 3 days a week (an hour a session) where I was dripping sweat to the point that I would slip on my mat... I still only burned about 80 calories and this was when I was 250+ lbs. I did this for about a year and I was feeling more limber but did not really lose any weight from it. I now do cardio 6 nights a week (with some hiking on the weekends starting last month) and have lost 45 pounds since January. I would sub in 2 more cardio classes and do one night of yoga instead. You'll start to see results.

Plus tracking and measuring what you eat is the biggest part of this whole thing. For example, spoon out what you honestly think is a cup of rice and then actually measure it. The difference is typically fairly significant and the amount of calories you are eating from guessing or eyeballing will reflect that. As the saying goes... you can run as much as you want but you can't out run your diet.