Work calories?

Does anyone put in their calories they lose at Work? I believe I range from 600-800 calories at work each day but should I put that in?

Replies

• jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    edited April 2017
    I work in IT so my calories are about as close to sedentary as they get lol so no, regardless of when I move I dont count it. Now when I was in the Military and or Retail before that I did because I got so much more physical activities in. I just think you should be careful adding in work calories as to not sabotage your gainz over estimating caloric surplus.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    I have to or id likely be dead...i work 2 jobs one i walk 4 miles there 4 miles home and am on my feet constantly, Other im lifting very large furniture all day lol.

If your very active be sure your accurate i underestimate alot but definatly need to eat above my 1200 lol
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    For work calories, I'd factor that in as basic activity level. So if you have a very physically demanding job, put in that you're more active than sedentary.

Or you could add in those calories as exercise. Either way, I would pick one or the other and stick with it for a while, track your weight loss, and if you're losing about what MFP predicts, then you know you made the right choice.
  • LadyRooster
    LadyRooster Posts: 21 Member
    Because I'm on my feet moving around at my job full-time, I just set my activity level to "lightly active" and that works perfect for me. Any other activities I do log. Even walking home from work I log, and I'm losing as expected for the past 4 months.
  • jpoehls9025
    edited April 2017
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    I have to or id likely be dead...i work 2 jobs one i walk 4 miles there 4 miles home and am on my feet constantly, Other im lifting very large furniture all day lol.

If your very active be sure your accurate I underestimate alot but definatly need to eat above my 1200 lol

Totally agree with you just wanted to stress I thought in the "post army" mindest that I could still eat the same... and it got real.. real fast with weight gainz, and not the good kind lol. But in your case I know you could add in more if you are moving objects and such, if your breaking a sweat your probably working out decently.

*** My opinion ***
    in regards to walking, I only burn like 200-ish calories an hour of walking @ 2-3MPH and it really becomes non existent in slower speeds, and if its broken up millage, like 4 miles across an entire day for example walking to my desk and to a server is nothing like actually running 4 miles straight. In fact I probably only burn like 2 calories doing the broken up walking method haha.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member

If your very active be sure your accurate I underestimate alot but definatly need to eat above my 1200 lol

Totally agree with you just wanted to stress I thought in the "post army" mindest that I could still eat the same... and it got real.. real fast with weight gainz, and not the good kind lol. But in your case I know you could add in more if you are moving objects and such, if your breaking a sweat your probably working out decently.

*** My opinion ***
    in regards to walking, I only burn like 200-ish calories an hour of walking @ 2-3MPH and it really becomes non existent in slower speeds, and if its broken up millage, like 4 miles across an entire day for example walking to my desk and to a server is nothing like actually running 4 miles straight. In fact I probably only burn like 2 calories doing the broken up walking method haha.

If you were *actually* walking 4 miles - i.e. 8,000 steps - even broken up, it would burn a heck of a lot more than 2 calories. Depending on your height and weight, it could be anything from 200ish calories more than sedentary to 500ish calories more than sedentary. Sedentary means 2,000-3,000 steps/day. 8,000 steps is at least "lightly active" (depending on the intensity of said steps).
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Work should be included in your activity level, so you don't add it in or you will overestimate your calorie burn.
  • jpoehls9025
    edited April 2017

*** My opinion ***

If you were *actually* walking 4 miles - i.e. 8,000 steps - even broken up, it would burn a heck of a lot more than 2 calories. Depending on your height and weight, it could be anything from 200ish calories more than sedentary to 500ish calories more than sedentary. Sedentary means 2,000-3,000 steps/day. 8,000 steps is at least "lightly active" (depending on the intensity of said steps).

lol just exaggerating, just trying to make a point that there is a vast difference between the two. I find to many people over accommodate the actual caloric burn from walking.

And I definitely agree that how well conditioned your body counts as well. My heart rate has gone down significantly over the years which in my opinion has reduced overall calorie burn associated with light activity (walking, light bike work ect).
  • jpoehls9025
    Work should be included in your activity level, so you don't add it in or you will overestimate your calorie burn.

should or shouldn't?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Does anyone put in their calories they lose at Work? I believe I range from 600-800 calories at work each day but should I put that in?

Hell no. I sit on my @ss 8 hours a day.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Work isn't exercise. Your activity level you set should reflect your activity level of your job. It should not be added separately as exercise.
  • jpoehls9025
    Work can be exercise for some professions, and you know if you have those jobs lets be for real lol.

Hard Jobs:
    Fire Fighters
    Police
    ANY Military Branch
    Miners (coal?) lol
    Movers
    Loggers
    Construction

Sitting at a desk like me and most others Hell No haha
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2017
    Work can be exercise for some professions, and you know if you have those jobs lets be for real lol.

Hard Jobs:
    Fire Fighters
    Police
    ANY Military Branch
    Miners (coal?) lol
    Movers
    Loggers
    Construction

yup this is me. its hard to know because each day is so different in what we need to move and how and if theres stairs. So yes its counted as extra exercise. Even in my waitressing job some days are WAY more active so going off setting an activity level would be counterproductive.

Not sure why people are all "work isnt exercise"
  • jpoehls9025

Hard Jobs:
    Fire Fighters
    Police
    ANY Military Branch
    Miners (coal?) lol
    Movers
    Loggers
    Construction

yup this is me. its hard to know because each day is so different in what we need to move and how and if theres stairs. So yes its counted as extra exercise. Even in my waitressing job some days are WAY more active so going off setting an activity level would be counterproductive.

Not sure why people are all "work isnt exercise"

Because some people have never truly worked lol when you have had a job that requires 20 mile rucks and shi* you know whats up lol
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Work should be included as your daily activity level - I used to work retail, and I would easily get 10k steps just at work. I also walked 3km before work and 2km after, plus gym sessions. With trial and error, I set my daily activity level to "moderately active" and logged my deliberate walks and gym as exercise. I would eat some exercise calories back. I haven't eaten less than 1600 calories (and only on non-gym days) in years. I lost 150 lbs or so and maintained it no problems until I developed a long term injury. I'm now losing the bit I gained back with the same method, only now I work in IT and have to set sedentary
  • jpoehls9025
    Work should be included as your daily activity level - I used to work retail, and I would easily get 10k steps just at work. I also walked 3km before work and 2km after, plus gym sessions. With trial and error, I set my daily activity level to "moderately active" and logged my deliberate walks and gym as exercise. I would eat some exercise calories back. I haven't eaten less than 1600 calories (and only on non-gym days) in years. I lost 150 lbs or so and maintained it no problems until I developed a long term injury. I'm now losing the bit I gained back with the same method, only now I work in IT and have to set sedentary

IT leads the way! the great thing I find about being in IT is that you can more accurately gauge your over all days caloric expenditure. Hope you recover from your long term injury, hurt my left elbow a few weeks back and finally feel able to start pressing again so I know how un-motivating it can be.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Work isn't exercise. Your activity level you set should reflect your activity level of your job. It should not be added separately as exercise.

Except when that doesn't work. According to MFP, my job description makes me "lightly active". But then I lose weight 1 to 1.5 pounds/week too fast. So, instead, I sync a FitBit and ignore any distinction between "activity level" and "exercise". It's all calories burned to me!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Just what comes over from my Fitbit. I usually get in 10-15,000 steps since I work in retail. Otherwise I'd adjust my activity level.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

Hard Jobs:
    Fire Fighters
    Police
    ANY Military Branch
    Miners (coal?) lol
    Movers
    Loggers
    Construction

Eh, there are desk jobs in the military for sure. I worked my butt off in Okinawa but played a ton of cards in Plattsburg.
  • jpoehls9025
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Hard Jobs:
    Fire Fighters
    Police
    ANY Military Branch
    Miners (coal?) lol
    Movers
    Loggers
    Construction

Eh, there are desk jobs in the military for sure. I worked my butt off in Okinawa but played a ton of cards in Plattsburg.

Even the desk jocks still have PT, not sure what branch you were in but even support MOS went to the field if attached to combat arms.