Dinner rut!

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
Got to go food shopping today... and I'm totally stumped. Seriously no idea what I can make, I'm not craving anything specific either so it's difficult.

Any easy/awesome recipes that you recommend?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of recipes, but all my dinners are awesome :D and easy :p

Let the rut work for you. Have weekday themes. Limiting choices can make the decision process run more smoothly.

Or pick up a new vegetable in the grocery store, and google recipes for it.
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    This is one of our favourites from one of the Weight Watchers Cook Books. It takes a bit of time but is is very simple and tastes so good that it is worth the wait.

Slow Cooked Beef with Pasta
    Serves: 4
    Prep Time: 10 Min Cook Time: 2 hours and 10 Min

Ingredients:

500g lean beef chuck steak, cut into 3cm cubes
    2 onions, cut into wedges
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    2 cups of beef stock
    1 tbsp. sweet paprika
    2 tbsp. plain flour
    1 tbsp. brown sugar
    2 carrots, peeled and sliced
    240g dried tagliatelle

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spray beef with oil and cook in batches until browned. Place in casserole dish.

2. Spray onions with oil. Add onion to the pan and cook over low heat for 3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, 1 tbsp. of stock, paprika and flour. Cook stirring for 1 minute. Stir in remaining stock and sugar. Bring to the boil stirring continuously. Pour over beef and cover and bake for 1and ½ hours.

3. Add carrots and bake for further 30 min.

4. When the beef is nearly finished cooking, cook tagliatelle in a large pan of boiling salted water following the packet instructions or until tender. Drain and place in serving bowls and top with the beef.

Note: this dish is also nice served with rice or vegetables.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tonight for me is spaghetti bolognese - but with turkey thigh mince, and the bolognese sauce is made from a tin of ratatouille with added mushrooms, i thicken the sauce with a bit of cornflour.

its one of my favourite quick meals.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    We are rotisserie chicken people, so I'm always repurposing. I made this the other day and while I thought it was 'meh', the fella and junior liked it very much:

http://getinspiredeveryday.com/food/rosemary-chicken-ragu-with-butternut-noodles/
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm having this tonight. https://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/12/parmesan-portobello-orzo/
    I'm adding some chicken to it. Everyone in my house likes it but dd picks out the mushrooms from her portion.

Tomorrow is tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.
    Friday is pizza.
    Saturday is probably beans and rice.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Oooh, that portabello orzo looks really good! Yay, another use for my rotisserie chicken. :D
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I've been stirring PB through cooked vegies (i do mushroom, broccoli, zucchini and pumpkin with spices) and beef or chicken strips for a sort of satay.... It's easy and tasty!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    What's on sale? That's where I start. Pork chops are on sale here so I think I will make those Spanish style with tomatoes and veggies. Then some rice or millet on the side.
    Tomorrow going out for hubby's b-day.
    Friday will probably be a frittata day. Eggs are on sale and I have a bunch of veggie portions to get rid of.
    Saturday I think will be chili. Ground beef is on sale . My chili is mostly veg with meat for flavor.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Roast a chicken..so easy and delicious. And while the oven is on, roast a few sweet potatoes. Then the next day you can have sweet potato and black bean tacos/enchiladas. Keep the pan drippings and bones from the chicken for a soup. Maybe one with greens and white beans.

I made red lentil soup the other day.. I subbed sweet potato for the butternut squash and added a can of diced tomatoes. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/70330/vegan-red-lentil-soup/
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    What's on sale? That's where I start. Pork chops are on sale here so I think I will make those Spanish style with tomatoes and veggies. Then some rice or millet on the side.
    Tomorrow going out for hubby's b-day.
    Friday will probably be a frittata day. Eggs are on sale and I have a bunch of veggie portions to get rid of.
    Saturday I think will be chili. Ground beef is on sale . My chili is mostly veg with meat for flavor.

This! I start with, "what's on sale and what's in season"? I like to use the fruits and vegetables that are currently in season as a guide. Then I look for proteins that pair well and that are hopefully on sale.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Herb crusted rack of lamb with veggies for me tonight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Nice!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I got some ground turkey and buns (actually too lazy to make my own today) because hubby wanted turkey burgers... and some salmon and brussel sprouts. I suppose that should last us until this week end (it was half cheaper to buy 3 lbs of turkey so it's what I got. I guess I can make meatloaf or something with the extra, or more burgers).

Some good ideas here... I'll save them for next time!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Nice!

It was lovely. A real treat.

Had loads of the minted veg left as well so that's tomorrow lunch sorted on today's calories :D