Question for people who do a lunch break workout?

Options
I keeping reading about people running or working out on their lunch break. I can take a 45 minute lunch if I want to. But how do you do that without stinking when you get back to work? Do you not sweat?

Replies

• SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    We call them hooker baths or Tijuana showers. Pack a washcloth and give yourself a cool wipedown in the sink if a shower isn't available. Recharge your deodorant and you should be good to go
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You come back stinking. It's not pretty, but its worth it in the end! I usually try to wipe myself down with a wet paper towel, re-apply deodorant, spray some nice smelling spray, change my undies, etc... There are also a few quick methods to blow dry your hair after a workout.
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I sweat a lot, so even if I use wet wipes, I still feel sticky. So I use a brush to apply a fine layer of baby powder on my skin....where it won't show. Otherwise I'd look like a bad cosplay of Michael Jackson....
  • strick1982
    strick1982 Posts: 75
    Options
    Wet wipes, deodorant, change unders, talcum or splash lightly perfumed water.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Current and last employer both have a shower which employees are allowed to use. I only jump under it very quickly to wash the sweat off, and dash back to my desk.

Failing that, I used to do what others here have suggested, brought a washcloth and wiped myself down (particularly the sweaty areas) using just a sink. If I couldn't hang the washcloth up anywhere to dry, I would put it in a plastic bag and dry it at home. Reapplying deodorant would also help.

Definitely get completely changed after exercise, including underwear.
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Helpful tips, thanks. I would not have thought to change my undies, I bet that makes a huge difference.

We're not allowed to use any scented products at my job. I'm a phlebotomist (I draw blood) So I'm always bending over people and getting pretty close to them to get the blood. I'm worried it might be too noticeable. But maybe I'll try a walk and see how that goes. I definitely wouldn't try a run.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    If you work in a hospital or large office building walk the stairs and or walk inside. Its air conditioned so you may not get that sweaty but you will still be moving. Just a thought.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you work in a hospital or large office building walk the stairs and or walk inside. Its air conditioned so you may not get that sweaty but you will still be moving. Just a thought.

that's nice to break up the day- but that would definitely NOT be a workout in my world. That is just a way to get up and moving around.

I know I can't actually workout- gym is 2.5 miles away- and by the time I drove there and worked out and back it would have been an hour- and technically I only get 30 minutes. But it might be worth it.

Spit bath (washcloth +sink) + full change of clothes- baby wipes are ESSENTIAL.

Otherwise I'd full shower at the actual gym.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    We have showers and hair dryers in our gym here at work!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate enough to work with a population that says, "Been out running on lunch again?" when I am dripping and out of breath from my 30 minute lunch run. LOL
  • lollysw
    lollysw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    YES !! This is what I do! Works pretty well too!
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I take a shower, just a soap up and rinse off. Yes, my hairstyle suffers in the afternoon but it's a price I'm willing to pay.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yep - I carry wipes and deodorant and wipe down. I don't wear much make up anyway so that's not an issue.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    30 minute work out 15 minute shower.. and boom back at work in time to look busy :D
  • tairaven
    tairaven Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Since at work I don't technically get a "lunch hour" or have designated break times, I couldn't possibly get out of the office for a real workout. But... sometimes I can escape for a short bit for say a 15 minute brisk walk outside which breaks up the day and gets me up and away from the computer. I tend to save my "real workouts" (running and what not) for either before or after work.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    When I was in the air force (I worked a desk job) we got an additional 30 minutes if we were working out on lunch hour. The gym was right on the base, so I'd run and work out at the gym, shower, and eat a salad at my desk later while working. Those were the days .....
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I like to speed walk during my lunch breaks and if I do get sweaty I usually stop by the RR and wipe down with wet paper towels..and put on body spray..
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I workout HARD at lunch. I get an hour, so I make the most of the 45 minutes I actually have on the gym floor. I have access to a shower at the gym though, so I shower and comes back to work with wet hair sometimes lol.

Maybe you can make lunch time your weights time? I sweat a lot less when I do weights only. Maybe save cardio for after work?
    Also, dry shampoo, change of underwear, also, instead of just a wet wipe, consider investing in camping wipes- I use these when I camp at music festivals and they are FAR more effective then using a baby wipe (http://www.rei.com/product/708776/no-rinse-bathing-wipes).
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Baby wipes and deodorant!
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Change your clothes if you can, bring a change of undies, washcloth, soap, towel, wipes, deodorant, brush/comb. Take a 'sponge bath' in the bathroom sink... ;)

I am lucky I have a shower at the office, so I can clean up! Any time you can spend doing some form of exercise is a good thing!