Is this a healthy well rounded lunch ?

Options

Replies

• myname20
    myname20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I dont want to be rude but there is a reason why you need to lose weight (and probably its about your eating habits)
    And you can eat your olive oil, just maybe a bit less than 2 tbsp in 1 meal :smiley:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    300+ calories of oil and honey wouldn't do much for me personally.

But I thought all calories arnt made equal ? My thinking was that olive oil is healthy, and including it in a healthy salad was a good plan for losing weight. I don't tend to snack through the day, so just have breakfast lunch dinner and a smoothie.

My calorie intake for the day is usually pretty good in fact I'm sometimes well under it and have to eat something else just for the sake of it so I don't really find the 300+ calories make that much of a dent. Plus I workout most days and am on the go.

I am a novice really and not into counting macros and anything too in depth atm. Just hoping to shift some extra weight and eat healthy

All calories are equal in that a calorie is a unit of measure. Some people find that using lots of calories on salad dressing would leave them hungry and that's why they're questioning it. But the ultimate test is whether or not it works for you and if it does, there's no reason why you should change it. Olive oil and honey will provide you with fat and carbohydrates. There's no "wrong" way to meet your macronutrient needs as long as they aren't crowding out other things that you need.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

But I thought all calories arnt made equal ?

Calories in one sense are all equal: ultimately your body counts it primarily as food. The basis on MFP is calorie deficit. Yes, things like protein and fiber and such all do matter...but in the end it is eating less than you burn that matters.

Now, saying that, eating in certain ways do promote weight loss more than others. For example, I learned high protein keeps me full longer than high carb. It's easier for me to lose that way since I'm not hungry. But if I eat the same amount of calories, I still lose weight.

Also, olive oil is a better-for-you fat. But calorie wise it could be melted bacon, peanut oil, vegetable oil, or whatever and calorie wise it is about the same.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I was off the wagon for a while, alcohol, takeaway meals and chocolate oh and crisps and fizzy juice. I wasn't exercising either so I piled on quite a bit. I could probably reduce the oil content but i was just doing a bit of research apparently 2 tablespoon of olive oil a day can help prevent heart disease, I'l probably stick to adding it. But it's gave me food for thought the calories are quite high just from dressing

Being at a healthy weight will do more to reduce your risk for heart disease than eating two tablespoons of olive oil per day. So if the olive oil makes it easier for you to meet your goals, I wouldn't cut it out. But if you're eating it just for the health benefits, I would consider reducing it. If you have a limited calorie budget, it's a lot to be spending on oil. If you're eating an avocado per day, you're already getting lots of fat to help support your health.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. My lunch today is a salad with a cup of lettuce and 1/4 cup of tomatoes, and a sprinkling of cheese and salt along with a slice of buttered oatmeal bread toast. Plus a cookie
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    One meal shouldn't be taken out of context of the rest of your diet really. Losing weight and toning up is about a calorie deficit and hitting the gym.

I have to gently disagree that you have to hit the gym. It's calories in / calories out. Increased activity just increases the calories out and can lead to a more speedy weight loss. It's not necessary. As long as you decrease your calories in (but keep them at a healthy level) you will lose weight. I am one of those people with physical limitations and I can't exercise. My heart rate is all over the place on any given day. And, just by changing my eating habits and eating less, I have lost weight. I eat very little carbs or sugar. But I eat a lot of protein / healthy fat and low carb veggies.

On the salad above, I would cut the honey & # of tomatoes and add celery and cucumbers.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I love lemon juice squeezed over my salad.

Saves my calories for nut butter :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

But I thought all calories arnt made equal ? My thinking was that olive oil is healthy, and including it in a healthy salad was a good plan for losing weight. I don't tend to snack through the day, so just have breakfast lunch dinner and a smoothie.

My calorie intake for the day is usually pretty good in fact I'm sometimes well under it and have to eat something else just for the sake of it so I don't really find the 300+ calories make that much of a dent. Plus I workout most days and am on the go.

I am a novice really and not into counting macros and anything too in depth atm. Just hoping to shift some extra weight and eat healthy

Olive oil is a healthy fat...but it's still fat, so around 120 calories per Tbsp. Nothing inherently wrong with it, I would just rather use 300 calories on something else because I would be quite hungry still with just a salad and 300 calories worth of dressing.

I eat plenty of dietary fat...I would just be left pretty hungry with that.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. My lunch today is a salad with a cup of lettuce and 1/4 cup of tomatoes, and a sprinkling of cheese and salt along with a slice of buttered oatmeal bread toast. Plus a cookie

That sounds delightful might steal this idea, minus the cookie, trying to get in shape for holiday in July so no pressure lol

I crept her diary and the cookie fits, you're no better off for avoiding it. Lose 1tbsp of olive oil and you can have one too :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Olive oil is a healthy fat...but it's still fat, so around 120 calories per Tbsp. Nothing inherently wrong with it, I would just rather use 300 calories on something else because I would be quite hungry still with just a salad and 300 calories worth of dressing.

Yeah I guess a lot of people would still be hungry the weird thing with me is I used to be able to eat like a horse and still be hungry...but when I stick to my healthy eating diet I can honestly say iv all but banished hunger and cravings. And I'm eating less.

That said when I dine out (about once a month) the hunger comes back and I can eat 3 courses. But overall my desire for food is much lower. I guess because I want to shift the weight I don't mind sacrificing food, plus i hate the idea of exercising then stuffing my face just doesn't make sense to me

Hey now. Someone wants to spend their calories on food with more volume instead of olive oil doesn't mean they want to "stuff their face." Just as your way works for you, someone else may have a way that works for them. I don't think we need to use negative terms for any particular way to eat.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yeah I guess a lot of people would still be hungry the weird thing with me is I used to be able to eat like a horse and still be hungry...but when I stick to my healthy eating diet I can honestly say iv all but banished hunger and cravings. And I'm eating less.

That said when I dine out (about once a month) the hunger comes back and I can eat 3 courses. But overall my desire for food is much lower. I guess because I want to shift the weight I don't mind sacrificing food, plus i hate the idea of exercising then stuffing my face just doesn't make sense to me

Hey now. Someone wants to spend their calories on food with more volume instead of olive oil doesn't mean they want to "stuff their face." Just as your way works for you, someone else may have a way that works for them. I don't think we need to use negative terms for any particular way to eat.

You've lost me lol I said stuffing MY face, not talking about anyone else's eating habits

Sorry, I thought you were talking about people who preferred to eat foods with more volume.
  • A_Rene86
    A_Rene86 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It seems like you're kind of hung up on this idea of "healthy" foods, rather than caloric deficit which is what matters. If you don't like avocados, stop eating them! There is a ton of other ways to add healthy fats to your diet. Nutrition is important, but in terms of weight loss, type of food is not really relevant. There's a post here on the Twinkie diet that I think would be a great read for you :) just another example of amount of calories being more important than type of calories. You can still lose weight while eating foods you enjoy!