Best diet from experience for weight loss?

Options
Hello I was wondering what diets you all have tried or are currently doing where you have got the best weight loss results and how you got started.

Thanks

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit is the only thing that ever worked for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Years ago I briefly experimented with South Beach, but I wasn't really in it...it was mostly to support my wife and I went about 2 weeks. Other than that, I just watched my calories here on MFP and overtime, but diet (noun) evolved to be much better from a nutritional standpoint than it used to be.

ETA: all weight loss diets have one thing in common...they create an energy (calorie) deficit which is how you lose weight.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The diet that worked for me was the eat everything I want in moderation diet. I stick to my allotted calories and eat foods that fill up my micro nutrients and macros (for the most part). I eat doughnuts, oreos, cinnamon buns, chips...chocolate, just in moderation and not all in one day. I never did a diet that was trendy that I couldn't keep up with for the rest of my life.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've only lost weight one time and I'm now several years into maintenance. I did an IF protocol for my active weight loss phase, which was just a fancy way of counting calories. Now I maintain by continuing to track my calorie intake.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting. I started and finished on MFP.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting and portion control - hands down the most effective way of eating for me to meet my weight loss goals. No restricting, no deprivation, no forbidden foods - everything in moderation.

I got started because I was facing knee surgery and my doctor said I could lose 20lbs - so I lost over 100 by the time I had the surgery, and about 15 more since then. I have tried every other diet you can think of - all the fads, all the silliness, bought the books - and everything worked up to a point, but I always gained back what I lost because they were unsustainable - I just couldnt stick to them because there were too many "rules" or I just wasnt satisfied with what I was "allowed" to eat.

Finding MFP and learning about the science (even though I consider myself well educated, a lot of this stuff was new to me) of CICO, and having all kinds of myths about weight loss busted by the very knowledgeable folks here was life changing and liberating. I am grateful everyday that I was able to make this work - for good, this time.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    The best diet is not a diet at all. Managing your daily intake of calories for the rest of your life is all it takes. If overweight at the start a slight deficit is needed to reduce weight. Diets end but eating the proper amount of calories to maintain weight goes on forever.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Try not to think of it as a diet because then you will mentally battle with yourself. Just think of it as trying to live a happier healthier life. Find ways to stay in shape that are enjoyable so it doesn't feel like work.
  • sandlsales22
    sandlsales22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Definitely calorie counting without a doubt x
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    IIFYM - after findign ou what macros keep you happiest that is. If i hit my macros close enough, I eat the yummy snacks x3 nomnom. though i like to be healthy as i lose you dont even need macros for loss but the right ones do keep you happy and satified which i think relates to this
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    One where I eat all of but less than of all the foods I love
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Eating at a calorie deficit is the only thing that ever worked for me.

It's the only thing that works for /everyone!/ :)
  • musick79
    musick79 Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Weight Watchers worked for me a few years ago. I dropped 60lbs on it. Then they changed the program and I just couldn't get into it. Now I am calorie counting and it seems to be working too. Basically the same thing - less food in and more moving does the trick.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    The best "diet" is not a diet. The best way of eating is one that you can stick to for the rest of your life. If you like sweets and snacks, include a portion of those on your daily calories if you wish. No need to cut out a bajillion foods or food groups to see results.

CICO always wins.