Garmin Users

Options
littlewolf3785
littlewolf3785 Posts: 2,592 Member
All you Garmin users, I am looking to upgrade my Garmin VivoFit 2 to either a Garmin Forerunner 920XT or Garmin Forerunner 235? Is one better than the other and do they work well.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I think the 920XT is more feature rich but a little bit older. What type of exercise do you do?
  • cryonchick
    cryonchick Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    910XT is great for triathlon, few are accurate in water but it seems to be (hubby uses it). I'm a walker, runner, cyclist so other than a Garmin bike computer I currently just use a vivosmart HR+ and a 620
  • littlewolf3785
    Options
    I think the 920XT is more feature rich but a little bit older. What type of exercise do you do?

I walk, jog, run, ride bike and like to swim but can't use it when I swim.
  • littlewolf3785
    Options
    cryonchick wrote: »
    910XT is great for triathlon, few are accurate in water but it seems to be (hubby uses it). I'm a walker, runner, cyclist so other than a Garmin bike computer I currently just use a vivosmart HR+ and a 620

Did he have any issues using it in any water(lake, ocean, pool water)?
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 35 and love it. I walk, run, cross train, swim and lift weights. It works well for just about all of that and gives me a lot of information on the app. The battery doesn't need to be charged all that often, every 3 or 4 days, and the HR monitor is accurate most of the time. When it's not accurate it's generally just not working at all really but I don't mind as I kind of know where I'm at most of the time by now anyway.
  • neelienus
    neelienus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have used a Garmin Forerunner 235 all day and all night for 6 months. I love it. I'm a runner. Haven't tried it for anything but running (treadmill and outdoors) and walking/hiking. GPS, stationary distance calculation and wrist HR is very accurate. Had enough of waist belts.
  • mcbluesky
    mcbluesky Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Big fan of 910XT for running, cycling, and swimming. Considering upgrading to 920XT or 935, but will stick with 910 as long as it works.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

Is it possible you'll ever want to use a power meter? The 920 supports this and the 235 does not. As far as I can tell that's the one really important bike feature that separates them. I don't run much so I can't comment on that.
  • cryonchick
    Options

Did he have any issues using it in any water(lake, ocean, pool water)?

Just realized that it's the 920 that he has, not the 910, sorry. The 920 is accurate in water, pool and open swin. However, not sure on the 910, sorry for my mistake.

• cryonchick
    Options
    All you Garmin users, I am looking to upgrade my Garmin VivoFit 2 to either a Garmin Forerunner 920XT or Garmin Forerunner 235? Is one better than the other and do they work well.

Google D.C. Rainmaker he does very in depth reviews on every product out there and does very honest comparisons
  • littlewolf3785
    Options

Is it possible you'll ever want to use a power meter? The 920 supports this and the 235 does not. As far as I can tell that's the one really important bike feature that separates them. I don't run much so I can't comment on that.

I do more of the running. The bike is more for enjoyment. I will look more into each one. Thank you for the input.
  • littlewolf3785
    Options

Google D.C. Rainmaker he does very in depth reviews on every product out there and does very honest comparisons

Just read the review, that is a lot of info but it helped decide a lot more after I have read it. Thank you.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

ditto on DC Rainmaker's reviews.

The main features of 920XT that I wanted that weren't available in cheaper models at the time I bought mine (some, but not all, were available in some of the cheaper watches): (1) you can program in custom intervals for training, (2) you can program in a route (you can't add a basemap though), (3) longer battery life, (4) not a touch screen (no accidentally doing things, and clearer in bright sunlight).

I personally would opt for a Fenix now over the 920XT if I was buying today - same running watch features + longer battery life + features from the outdoor watch line (can add a basemap, more activities to choose from) + more aesthetically pleasing.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    If you mainly cycle, then you might prefer to get a wrist adapter for one of the edge models for when you run. The 920XT can't display the elevation profile of a planned course while you ride. You also don't have the option of viewing both the map and 1-2 fields at the same time like you could on an Edge. And also no basemap. (These are the 3 main things I wish I had when cycling but that aren't possible on a 920XT).
  • ritzvin
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The 920XT does not have a specific "walk" activity. You have to select other. (This is mildly annoying if you also sync to Endomondo, Strava, etc - a walk will thus get logged as "other" in garmin connect & Endomondo, a "run" in strava-though I think this happens with any non-cycling activity, "general aerobics" in MFP,..).

Edited to add: It does have a "Hike" activity though.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

Just read the review, that is a lot of info but it helped decide a lot more after I have read it. Thank you.

What did you decide? Or what are you leaning toward?
    ritzvin wrote: »

The main features of 920XT that I wanted that weren't available in cheaper models at the time I bought mine (some, but not all, were available in some of the cheaper watches): (1) you can program in custom intervals for training, (2) you can program in a route (you can't add a basemap though), (3) longer battery life, (4) not a touch screen (no accidentally doing things, and clearer in bright sunlight).

I personally would opt for a Fenix now over the 920XT if I was buying today - same running watch features + longer battery life + features from the outdoor watch line (can add a basemap, more activities to choose from) + more aesthetically pleasing.

@ritzvin has a lot of great, detailed info for you.

I wanted to comment on the bold part. I've done this a whole bunch of times with my Fenix 3 (no maps) and now with my Fenix 5 (maps). It's really great to have on a bike ride sometimes.

You use a site like Ride With GPS or Garmin Connect, and plan out a route you want to ride. Then you send it to your watch. Now the watch has turn by turn directions. It'll vibrate on your wrist just before you need to turn, show you an arrow pointing left or right or straight ahead, and show you the name of the street. It'll buzz again at the turn to let you know you're making the right one. Even without a map.

If you take your bike to ride in new/scenic places, this is a great feature.
  • littlewolf3785
    Options

What did you decide? Or what are you leaning toward?
    ritzvin wrote: »

@ritzvin has a lot of great, detailed info for you.

I wanted to comment on the bold part. I've done this a whole bunch of times with my Fenix 3 (no maps) and now with my Fenix 5 (maps). It's really great to have on a bike ride sometimes.

You use a site like Ride With GPS or Garmin Connect, and plan out a route you want to ride. Then you send it to your watch. Now the watch has turn by turn directions. It'll vibrate on your wrist just before you need to turn, show you an arrow pointing left or right or straight ahead, and show you the name of the street. It'll buzz again at the turn to let you know you're making the right one. Even without a map.

If you take your bike to ride in new/scenic places, this is a great feature.

@NorthCascades
    I am still leaning towards the 920XT. I did check out the review for the Fenix trackers, even though it does look impressive it is also more expensive than the FR trackers. Its a lot of information to process for both but feel I think I would like the FR better. Like I said before I don't do as much bike riding except for pleasure. I am more of a runner and swimmer.

@ritzvin
    I do like to hike so that feature will come in handy for that use. Like I said I am not much of a cycler and only ride for pleasure.

Thank you both for your input and information on both. I will let you know how I really like it when I get the tracker and start using it.
  • 1DancewithLove2Heart
    1DancewithLove2Heart Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Fitbit
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I've got the 920 and it will work well for the things you're interested in. There is an optional quick release kit for it that turns it into a very nice, albeit little, bike computer.

Aside from the awful looks, I've been really happy with mine.
  • littlewolf3785
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I've got the 920 and it will work well for the things you're interested in. There is an optional quick release kit for it that turns it into a very nice, albeit little, bike computer.

Aside from the awful looks, I've been really happy with mine.

How does it feel on your wrist? Does it feel balky or okay to wear like a watch? I have worn some big style watches before just worried if it sits high on my wrist if it will catch more on things and do you still need to wear on your non dominant hand? Sorry for all the questions.