Headaches caused by diet change??

Options
Hey guys, has anyone else experienced mild to bad headaches after switching to clean eating? I've been getting headaches for the past couple days and the only thing that has changed is that I'm eating wayyyy healthier than I was. Drinking more water than ever so I don't think it's dehydration causing them. Is it possible my body is in shock or something from not eating Taco Bell? LOL let me know!

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I eat Wendy's daily to avoid the headaches. Good luck oh pee
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    probably just lack of sugar/fats/carbs or maybe caffeine your body is used to getting. or added fibre. That got me once. Wouldnt worry about it over a few days
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Have you went low carb?
  • kkarl12964
    kkarl12964 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    I eat Wendy's daily to avoid the headaches. Good luck oh pee

Lol, lucky you! Wendy's is definitely off the table for me. I'm still working in my self control.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Have you reduced/eliminated caffeine?
  • kkarl12964
    kkarl12964 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you went low carb?

Nope, still eating carbs in the form of veggies and brown rices. And I've never really been big on caffeine... so maybe? I have been drinking iced tea but I think that's decaf?
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    kkarl12964 wrote: »
    Have you went low carb?

Nope, still eating carbs in the form of veggies and brown rices. And I've never really been big on caffeine... so maybe? I have been drinking iced tea but I think that's decaf?

Unless you're specifically drinking decaf, tea has caffeine. Even decaf coffee has caffeine!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    kkarl12964 wrote: »
    Have you went low carb?

But how many carbs? Like how many grams per day? If your carbs are low, even if you're taking some in, you could be experiencing keto flu.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You're probably flushing out a lot of electrolytes by eating less sodium and drinking more water. Supplementing with magnesium citrate, potassium and sodium should ease your headaches. I take magnesium citrate tablets and use Nu-Salt (a salt substitute composed of potassium chloride).
  • Pandakins1969
    Pandakins1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    oh im so glad its not just me!! I've had killer headaches the last 2 days..so bad last night it kept waking me up. i havent cut caffeine but i have drastically changed my diet and i admit i was the biggest sugar junkie ever before that.
  • gen39
    gen39 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you are eating less carbs than you used to, you may need to increase your sodium / magnesium / potassium intake. Sodium especially if you feel light-headed when standing up. This is especially true if on a ketogenic or ultra low carb diet.
  • wernertraut
    wernertraut Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It is completely normal. When you ate foods high in sugar and caffeine content, it released energy instantaneously. When your blood sugar then dropped, you could just grab another chocolate bar or soda and feel great again. Cutting sugars and eating a healthy diet results in slower / sustained energy release and your body is now adjusting to it, causing your withdrawal symtoms. It will go away in a few days and you'll feel less cravings for sugary foods. Try and watch "That Sugar Film" It explains all the crap things about sugar. Drinking a bit more water will help with the headaches though
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's diet related? Sometimes a HA is just a HA. I woke up with a killer today and didn't know why until I saw all the pollen in existence all over my vehicles :/
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You need more than water to stay hydrated. I the diet has your carb intake down way low you will need to increase your electrolytes, so more salt.