ladies- what is your calorie goal?

Options
i have been on MFP for about a month, and still cannot figure out what my calorie goal should be?
Do you go off what MFP gives you? do you go based on your TDEE?

I'm 48/f
current weight: 202
Height- 5'5"
i have a desk job, but average 8-10k steps per day. I also workout 4 days per week

I currently have my goal set at 1800- this is using my TDEE as sedentary, and adding in/eating 1/2 back my activity..

What is working for you??????????

Replies

• bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I use TDEE . I would starve with the calories MFP gives me. I have a desk job as well.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I go with what MFP gives me and eat back all my exercise calories. I'm in maintenance now, but did this while I was losing too.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I had it set to 1200 per day (5'7", 177 lbs, Sedentary), and I was eating my exercise calories. I changed my goal and it gives me 1400 now. 1200 was not enough for me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I use mfp, but am currently on 1700 as I am half marathon training and can't hold a deficit of more than 100 cals!

I'm 5ft5 and 135lbs
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    That seems reasonable with that activity and your stats. I have a desk job but I take about 10-13K steps daily and my TDEE is average 2100-2200. I cut easily on 1460 with room for error :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,996 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The goal mfp gives you plus exercise will be about the same as your TDEE. If you use mfp's goal you should be eating back at least a portion (if not all) of your exercise calories. The best thing to do is just pick one formula and use that. If you have inconsistent exercise then mfp's Neat formula is often a good way to go. But if your exercise is consistent then TDEE may work best for you. I used mfp's method and ate back most of my exercise calories and lost weight with no problems and I was rarely hungry. I probably would have been hungry if I neglected to eat back the exercise calories.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm able to cut below 3500 because whenever I am not running I am chasing the kids while my husband is gone. I choose to set MFP to sedentary and allow Fitbit to make adjustments above what my sedentary TDEE would hypothetically be (1710 or something similar I believe?)

ETA: 5'10", 130lbs
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I use TDEE with a goal of 1850. I have a desk job, but I work out 4ish times a week, plus lots of walks in the evenings. I'm between 15k-18k steps a day except Sundays, when I deliberately try to stay below 5k steps. I lose about 1.5/wk. I would starve on the MFP kcals on non-exercise days, lol!
    36/F
    5'7"
    SW 217
    CW 205
    GW 155
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    TDEE - 2015 calories per day. Between 10-12000 steps per day and heavy weight lifting 5X week.

5'9
    SW 192
    CW 171
    GW - not sure.
  • dotwilldoit
    dotwilldoit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would gain weight at anything over 2000 calories. What works for me is what mfp sets for maintenance with 1/2 pound loss a week, set for sedentary and I eat at least 1/2 of my calories back. Looking at 1700 calories a day maximum.

But the real question is.. are you losing at the desired rate given what your calorie intake?
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 1310 currently, but I also eat all my exercise calories normally. I've got a lot to lose yet so have an aggressive goal of 2 lbs.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm several years into maintenance but in a short weight loss phase to trim off my winter 'fluff' lol. Loosely aiming for .5lb loss a week and calories are between 1,200-1,500 a day. Today I'll clock in at 1,330. Current stats are-female/38yrs old/5ft, 6in/current weight 126lbs, working down to 123lbs (summer maintenance range will be 123lbs-125lbs).
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'2" 159.5lb. MFP gives me 1490. My Garmin gives me 1560. I usually stay between 1490 or less and 1560. When I go out I can eat as high as 1700. But the most important thing for me regardless of how much I eat is to try and maintain a caloric deficit of -500 or more. My weekly deficit on average is 4000 calories burned per week. My goal is to lose 0.5-1lb per week.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    imgr8stmom wrote: »
    i have been on MFP for about a month, and still cannot figure out what my calorie goal should be?
    Do you go off what MFP gives you? do you go based on your TDEE?

I'm 48/f
    current weight: 202
    Height- 5'5"
    i have a desk job, but average 8-10k steps per day. I also workout 4 days per week

I currently have my goal set at 1800- this is using my TDEE as sedentary, and adding in/eating 1/2 back my activity..

What is working for you??????????

I've lost weight before (got lazy with my tracking so I gained a few back in the last 2 years) so I start with what I already know from last time.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have my weight loss goal set to losing 0.5 lbs per week, sedentary (desk job and don't walk a lot) - MFP has my calories set to about 1550 calories. I workout strength training and cardio about 5 days a week and I don't normally eat back my calories since my weight loss goal is set so low.

5'7
    41 yrs
    165 lb

Have not lost any weight the last couple of weeks because of "fun" weekends :smiley:
  • seccotine
    seccotine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 60/f, 5'7", currently at 165 lbs. I lost 25 pounds last year (and gained back a few over the winter that I am currently shedding).

You do say that your goal is 1800 cal/day but you do not indicate if you are trying to maintain or if you want to loose a lb./week, or more, or less. Logically, you have to have a 500 cal DAILY deficit to loose a pound per week, which would bring your goal at 1300 cal/day for a TDEE of 1800 cal.

For me 1800 cal/day is my TDEE, i.e. maintenance not weight loss. I used a very simple formula, indicating sedentary and a goal of loosing 1 lb./week, and MFP gave me a goal of 1200 cal/day (this is the absolute minimum and you should not go below).

Now that is pretty low so I exercised for 500 cal/day/7 days a week and SOMETIMES ate part of those to upgrade my menus. As I am impatient, I added two days a week where I did a modified fast of a 300 cal breakfast + a protein shake of 100 cal for lunch and one for dinner, or a grand total of 500 cal for the day. With the exercise this meant that my net intake was 0 cal. This allowed me to shed the weight in about 3 months. I then moved to maintenance by just stopping the fasting and slowly starting to eat all of my exercise calories.

Now I would not advise you to do the fasting without your doctor's OK. It is hard, specially at the beginning, and concentrating is difficult. I chose to do it but made sure first that I did not risk anything. As I have very low blood pressure, it was tricky at times.

Hope this helps.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I average around 1800-2000 when cutting. It's actually what I averaged for most of my weight loss. 2300 -2400 to maintain currently.

I'm 5'4.5" and currently have a trend weight of 133.4 lbs.
  • camilapenias
    camilapenias Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    my calorie goal is 700kcal per day, but I still eating like 1.000kcal for now
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    my calorie goal is 700kcal per day, but I still eating like 1.000kcal for now

That is extremely unhealthy. You will end up malnourished eating so little.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My goal is under 1400 a day. I think MyFitnessPal actually gave me a lower number, but it looked too low, so I upped it arbitrarily. Down 7.3 lbs in 37 days, so it seems to work just fine for me :)