natural antidepressants

Options
hcdo
hcdo Posts: 201 Member
HI All,

My therapist suggested that I should go back on my antidepressants, but my oncologist told me there are only two that don't interact negatively with tamoxifen (Effexor and Celexa). I've been on both before, with only minimal success. Does anyone have suggestions for natural antidepressants or foods that have a similar effect? Or has anyone else had the same problem and found a different medication that works? I'm still planning on going back to a psychiatrist to see if there are other options, but I thought I'd check here as well.

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    The only natural antidepressant I know of is St. John's Wort, but it comes up as the same interaction you get from other SSRIs with tamoxifen.

I'm sorry your drug options are so limited. Is there a possibility of trying a secondary medication like abilify, with the Effexor or Celexa?

Your other options would be the non-drug treatments. CBT, exercise, etc.

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    So I struggle with this personally for a couple of reasons. I am on SSRIs to attempt to medicate my OCD (with limited success honestly) but it actually kicks me into major depressive episodes. Currently on high dose of Bupropion XL and would not recommend even if it were on the table for you.

Quite frankly I run to survive right now and just hope the meds will eventually balance out. 10km+ a day and I'm less likely to be on the floor.
  • hcdo
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I appreciate the feedback. @annacole94, I've been on abilify too and that didn't really help either. I could ask about a cocktail, though. @JessicaMcB, I was on bupropion as well, and it only helped a tiny bit. It's one of the ones listed as having a strong effect on tamoxifen. I'm definitely trying to work on exercising more, and I know that sleep (and lack thereof) is a huge factor for me with depression, so I guess I'll just have to work on that for now. I'm in CBT as well, but there just seems to be nothing that really helps.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Depression sucks. Hang in there and do what you can - intense self care is important. Sleep a good amount, exercise outside if possible, eat well. I'm on a fairly low dose of Zoloft, which has been a lifesaver for me. Only you and your doctors can weight the risk/benefit of what various treatments can do for you.
  • hcdo
    Options
    It's funny how self care is so important and yet we often feel like we don't deserve it or treat it as if it's a luxury. I tried Zoloft and it had the opposite effect; scary! Glad you found something that helps!
  • facobedina
    facobedina Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    For me,I either do "Dukan diet" or exercise for 150 minutes, six days a week.
    It depends on where I am ,home or hotel.
    And I don't take medications.
  • hcdo
    Options
    Has anyone found certain supplements or vitamins to help? I heard vitamin B is supposed to be good, and I take a B-complex vitamin, but I don't know if I notice any difference. Wondering if anyone else had had success.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    The gym is my anti-depressant. That's what got me off of em.
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I guess I am lucky I never needed or wanted them. But I did live a normal life with all it ups and downs. Family deaths, divorce, O.H.S. twice and lots of other health issues. But facing death as a 15 year old and surviving gave me a strong and positive outlook and thirst for life.
    Sorry for your problems but I think that only you with or without the help of your psychiatrist can help.
  • hcdo
    Options
    Yeah, I've found a lot of it to be woo, too. The gym helps a bit but there are days...
  • Lin_marie11
    Lin_marie11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have a vitamin D deficiency and noticed it has helped with my depression since I take a higher dose now.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You might find it helpful to go lower on the starchy carbs/grains and sweets. I found reducing those, eating more veggies and red meat seemed to have a slight positive impact. Sticking to a routine is helpful for me too.

Try to find self-care options that meet that happy place of still getting stuff done, but also let you relax and just sloth a bit.

Best wishes!

~Lyssa
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fish oil helps some people. Also consider checking your vitamin D status. Check vitamin B12 levels.
    Massage, Acupuncture, Yoga and meditation.
    Do you get sunshine?
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    sitting in the sun helps with making you feel good, and exercise (like jogging) releases endorphins, which also make you feel good.With a quick google search here's also what i found:
    Essential oils:Bergamot orange,rose,jasmin (diluted in hot water and sprayed in your home, or in a bath,or a couple of drops on your pillow).
    Plants: St John’s wort, safran,liquorice,ginseng,lemon balm (be careful with those, you will need to do some research on how to use them,otherwise they can have unwanted side effects).
    Foods: Oily fish,walnuts,tropical fruits,chocolate.

I don't know if any will work,but they're natural as you can get them.Be extra careful on the plants though,don't use any without consulting someone who knows how to do it.(Or do some reading yourself).
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    hcdo wrote: »
    Has anyone found certain supplements or vitamins to help? I heard vitamin B is supposed to be good, and I take a B-complex vitamin, but I don't know if I notice any difference. Wondering if anyone else had had success.

If you have depression because of vitamin B deficiency, then vitamin B not only helps but completely gets rid of all symptoms in a few weeks, but the doses are way way bigger than anything in the usual multivitamins. Plus it would be useless if your problem is not vitamin B deficiency.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Oh, as for "natural" supplements, be very careful to get your dr's approval. As someone who has been on medication for decades for chronic health issues, what I have found out is that what we consider to be innocent in small doses (e.g. a herb to spice up a meal) can interract with medication in the very large doses you would need when using the same thing as a supplement.
  • asugar1390
    asugar1390 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Fish oil , vitamin B complex and exercise as well as meditation and yoga have been helpful to many. Therapy too (I'm a therapist so a little biased)!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    moving your body is a natural anti-depressant for me. I have been in slug ruts where I dont' want to walk anywhere or even clean up... force yourself to do it for a week or two and you'll find you feel so much better afterwards, you wont' have to force yourself. That will just become part of your self care.
  • melm1903
    melm1903 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the only thing that's really helped me, even a few days away from it and I see a decline. Oh I did get a puppy in September and she brightens the darkest days for me :smile: - but that isn't practical always and isn't for everyone. I hope you find a solution soon :smile: