Morning Runs - Will I Die?

Options
xLyric
xLyric Posts: 840 Member
I completed C25K a few months ago and then Things happened and I stopped running. I want to start again, but I also hate the sun and can't breathe in the gym, both of which are problems in the summer. The obvious solution is to quit being a baby and run at 6am. I work 8-5. I'm not a morning person, but I'm also not willing to sacrifice my evenings, so this is what I've decided to do (it's a novel idea, I know).

Obviously I'm not going to die, but does anyone have tips/whatever for running at the crack of dawn? Do you eat before or after? Are you dead at work afterwards or do you find it wakes you up more? Are you hungrier at work? Any other advice is welcome as well.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just do it... it might make you rungry, make sure you've got enough good food at work.
  • jenngitch
    jenngitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I find if I make myself get up in the morning and exercise I feel better throughout the day. I also have everything ready for the morning (workout clothes set out, work clothes set out, lunch done..etc). I tend to eat on my way to work, so after my workout (not the safest thing but...)
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    When I was marathon training on the summer I woke up at 3:30 a.m. to run and had to use a headlamp. You should be fine at 6. I prefer to run fasted, but that's a totally personal decision.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »
    I completed C25K a few months ago and then Things happened and I stopped running. I want to start again, but I also hate the sun and can't breathe in the gym, both of which are problems in the summer. The obvious solution is to quit being a baby and run at 6am. I work 8-5. I'm not a morning person, but I'm also not willing to sacrifice my evenings, so this is what I've decided to do (it's a novel idea, I know).

Obviously I'm not going to die, but does anyone have tips/whatever for running at the crack of dawn? Do you eat before or after? Are you dead at work afterwards or do you find it wakes you up more? Are you hungrier at work? Any other advice is welcome as well.

I do it every Friday.

It wakes me up and I don't have any problems energy wise after wards.

I do it fasted as I can't stomach food early on a morning. The down side to this is I suck time wise against my runs on my days off.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Depends on your body I spose. I have to eat before working out or my blood sugar crashes and I'll pass out. I know tons of people who swear by fasted cardio. Be sure you get plenty of water. And take precautions if it's dark.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I love working out early. I usually wake up between 3 and 3:30. I do not eat anything unless I am on the way to a marathon or ultra. Some people does..helps some people to do it. I do drink a water and oor zero power ade most mornings. I love working out early and the darkness and beauty of running at that time and see the break of day. Not much traffic either..ha. Your body will adjust to it. And the good thing is you get it done and anything else is icing on the cake.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I think consistency is key if you are going to keep doing it, especially if you are not really a morning person. Don't let yourself snooze or skip mornings - I swear it made getting up the next morning worse!

Set out your running clothes the night before. I've also been known to sleep in mine :smile:

I don't eat prior, just a few sips of coffee.

You sleep in your run stuff?

Ok.......
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I cycle...I'm not much of a morning person, but in the summer I typically ride in the AM to beat the heat as even evening temperatures here will hover around 100*. Frankly, I just get up and go...while I dislike the getting up part, once I'm up, I'm up.

Once I'm out on the road I very much enjoy it...crisp new morning, watching the sunrise from my saddle. I'm typically on the road by 5:45 and usually do a 20K which depending on my pace will take me anywhere from 40-45 minutes. I get home and sip some coffee on the back patio for about 10-15 minutes and then get ready for work and I'm out the door by 7:30.

I eat breakfast at my normal time when I get to work around 8:30. I'm accustomed to regular exercise activity so I'm not tired at work or anything like that...I'm more lethargic and tired when I miss workouts.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think consistency is key if you are going to keep doing it, especially if you are not really a morning person. Don't let yourself snooze or skip mornings - I swear it made getting up the next morning worse!

Set out your running clothes the night before. I've also been known to sleep in mine :smile:

Ok.......

I sleep in my workout shirt a lot of nights. I don't think it's that unusual.

Then get up and wear it to work out?
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to be a morning runner, I would sleep in my run stuff, too. Because I was DEFINITELY the sort of person to wake up and say, "F- this, I'm going back to sleep." But if I was already wearing my running stuff, I'd feel like an idiot for not running, so it was one tiny factor that motivated me to actually do it.

I also had the alarm clock on my phone set up with a picture of my former self running my fastest ever 5K. She was decent motivation, too.

I know of people who run with their dogs - and once that's part of the routine, your dog will NOT let you sleep in.

That early in the morning, I prefer to run fasted and have coffee and breakfast when I get back. At first, it DID sort of make the rest of my day harder, but it didn't take long before it actually made me feel more energetic during the day.

Mornings aren't my thing, and I found a better way, for me. Trying to be a morning runner was just an exercise in futility, but if it was truly the only way I could get it done - I could do it.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

Ok.......

Sure why not? When I would get up at 5am I'd roll out of bed, brush my teeth, put my contacts in, and jump on the treadmill. When it's chilly in the morning not having to change was a big plus.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

Ok.......

Sure why not? When I would get up at 5am I'd roll out of bed, brush my teeth, put my contacts in, and jump on the treadmill. When it's chilly in the morning not having to change was a big plus.

I just couldn't be in dirty clothes, you've had them on in bed like 8 hours.

Saying that I run outside. I certainly wouldn't go out in sweaty bed clothes. Each to their own I guess.

I don't get people shopping in pjs either.
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have my running clothes set out next to my bed and have them on and am out the door before I am awake enough for my brain to formulate any excuses not to exercise. I don't eat before running and I find that days I run are much better all around than those that I don't.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Running in the morning is great. Its cooler, the world is calmer.

I need to eat a little something before. Something like a granola bar and 1/2 a banana. Then depending on how much I run, I may want a bigger breakfast an hour or so after.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I sleep in my workout clothes too...Then I just have to get out of bed and go! Not unusual at all...

But back to the OP, working out in the morning in rejuvenating. Granted I'm not a morning person, and some mornings my sleep overrides my workout, but I do my best. I also run/bike fasted. I can't eat early in the morning. It does make me a little hungrier at work too, but that's ok, cause I know I burned a lot of calories, so I may bring an extra snack to nibble on. You won't know until you give it a try!!
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Ok.......

Yep. I used to do that too.

I don't anymore mostly because I weigh myself naked in the mornings and I have to undress anyway. But I've been considering just weighing myself with my workout gear on. It would still be a consistent weight more or less and save the dressing/undressing part.

But yeah, it's pretty common for those who workout in the morning to sleep in their workout clothes. It's also a bit shameful to take off your workout gear without working out.

Anything to save some time in the mornings. I also have my bag packed the night before because I shower/change at the gym. Coffee is on a timer so it's ready when I wake up.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If they weren't so constricting I'd definitely try sleeping in the workout clothes. One less step to hate in the morning, haha. I don't really consider a shirt dirty just from wearing it to bed, though.

Thank you all! This is very helpful (and encouraging)!