How do you stay motivated??

I am having a hard time staying on track and staying motivated. I do good for a couple of days at a time but then 1 bad meal turns into a whole day and so on. Any tips?

Replies

• cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Mind over matter. You have to want it badly enough. If you mess up for a meal or even a day, get right back on the next day. Don't let it take over. You are in control. Good luck.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    You have to find something that makes YOU want to do this to first get the ball rolling. For some folks its to fit into certain clothes, to look a certain way, and for others its the number on a scale. For me, it started due to a high blood sugar number that had me feeling like crap. Once I got started the amazing way I felt from not eating junk and being a coach potato kept me on track for the newbie period. I use to tell my trainer that my time with them was 30 minutes of hell to have 23.5 hours of a normal life. Now I just enjoy the workouts and look forward to them. Over time new motivations kicked in: I started sleeping better, not craving junk, more focused, the weight started to come off, clothes started to feel loose and then I looked at myself in the mirror and was like wow when did those arms and a little definition happen? It really can begin a positive snow ball effect if you stick to this. :smile:
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,570 Member
    Being gentle with myself, but dishing out small portions, has worked so far (knock wood!) for me. I've gotten good at having small treats and saving the rest for later. I don't ever really feel like I'm depriving myself; instead of thinking "no, I can't have that!" I get to look forward to having another wee treat tomorrow.

In fairness, it probably helps that I'm really tall ;) so I do get more calories than most people.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    just commit to it like a job. avoid bad foods. do it consistently. after 3 weeks you'll have gained so much momentum that it gets really easy.
  • asugar1390
    asugar1390 Posts: 46 Member
    All good tips here. I agree it has to be a priority. I need motivation too. I seem to lack energy a lot of days. Support ?
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    For me, knowing about calorie counting keeps me motivated. I can eat whatever I want, but I know what that will mean. Sometimes it's worth it enough to eat it, other times it's not.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Someone on these forums said "Remember that every bite is a chance to start over." I think that's a really excellent attitude when you slip up. You ate a piece of cake? Oh well, doesn't mean you have to give up and have seconds. You ate badly all day? That has no effect on what happens tomorrow, so forget about it and do what you need to do the next day.

For me, sticking to my deficit becomes easier if I can find low calorie foods I'm excited about. I love food and that hasn't changed with being on a diet. But now I research low calorie foods and recipes and get excited about trying out a cauliflower pizza recipe or new yogurt flavors. Is a cheeseburger or donut still tempting? Sure, but since I can't literally eat all the food it's easier to pass up the high calorie food when I'm looking forward to my 300 calorie tacos or 140 calorie bowl of ice cream. So my advice is to experiment with foods and find low calorie things that actually sound good to you. The message boards here have some great recipes or websites like skinnytaste. I also get a lot of recipes from buzzfeed and just find ways to make them lower calorie. I made these this week and substituted fat free cheese and it came out to like 15-16 calories per tot.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiemelody/cauliflower-tots?utm_term=.dcdBpM0qE#.hw9Qqg350
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    I am having a hard time staying on track and staying motivated. I do good for a couple of days at a time but then 1 bad meal turns into a whole day and so on. Any tips?
    It's not motivation that's your issue, it's creating better habitual behavior.
    Don't let the "bad" meal be part of your plan for a week. Start there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Exercise. If I can be motivated enough to exercise, I can exercise enough to earn the treats I want to eat. A mini Snickers is 45 calories and that can easily be earned. In 30 minutes of cardio, I earn a donut. Not only does exercise earn me the right to eat a treat, it also motivates me to eat only the treat I've earned, and not another because I don't want to have to do that exercise also.
  • sidpadte87
    sidpadte87 Posts: 4 Member

1) us an habit forming app, everyday you workout mark it in the app this creates a chain.. as you see the chain growing you realise the effort you put in and don't want to break the chain.
    2) if you love chocolate cake eat it. But, when you start breathing heavily within minutes of starting cardio keep telling yourself how much you love chocolate cake, doughnut etc. Soon bad meals won't come near you.
    3) you just have to be honest. You can cheat everyone but yourself.

All the best