Push up help!!

Joining the military and currently can't do any real push ups. I'm determined, but was wondering if anyone had tips for starting???

Replies

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    I agree with the previous poster. It's a matter of taking small steps and being consistent.
    When I first started about a year-and-a-half ago I would take resistance bands and do push-up movements with that. I then progressed to the couch and did some push-ups with that. Then I went to a chair. after the chair I got on the floor with my knees on the ground and I did push-ups like that. Now I can do real push ups.

My only suggestion to you as far as push-ups vary the type of push ups that do whether its military style, fly or with your hands in different positions.
  • Lana_me
    Lana_me Posts: 34 Member
    I'd add - don't do knee push-ups. They don't build what you will need long-term. Wall, counter, stairs ... gradually lower your starting height but stay on your toes. And working on general weight loss/strength will help, too!

Thanks for an advice! I didn't know that.

• ukhobnob1
    ukhobnob1 Posts: 21 Member
    I did P90X and couldn't do one single push up.. after 3 weeks I could knock out 15.. if you do them every day, trying a few times a day even you will soon build up the strength. Do not do knee push ups. I just tried with the regular form... then after 3 days I managed to get one.. from there its basically stamina and building up strength.
    Ive never done push ups against the wall.. I just went for the regular ones.. failed several times and then moved a bit... so on. After a month or so I could do quite a few.. If you can get it try the reg P90X chest and back workout. It will soon build your upper body strength.
    Good luck in the Military.. I appreciate all that you do for your country.
  • psychedmom
    psychedmom Posts: 39 Member
    Agree with above advice. There are also push up apps which gradually increase the amount you do per day. I think I am going to do that too!
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    What branch are you going for. I'm a veteran if you have any questions add an ask.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/spouse-and-family/getting-passed-girl-push-ups

Here a link that might help. Good luck
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    I agree with no knee pushups, I personally was never able to transition to full pushups from them despite months of training.

I didnt start on the wall but used a bed frame, then couch/weight bench and finally was able to do one full push up after about 8 weeks.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    I didn't know about not starting out with knee pushups (guess that is old school), so I did them. When I got up to 35 I switched over to real ones and was able to crank out 10 first time. I've also been doing planks and other upper body work on my bowflex and with free weights. My nemesis now: pull ups. I just can't... :(