Food Processor

Options
2»

Replies

• RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have made two batches of hummus and three batches of salsa so far, I'm in love.

And I'm off to the library tonight:

v50pH5S.png
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    The shredding attachment that comes with your food processor is your best friend for preparing large quantities of shredded anything. I used to use it almost daily to add shredded carrots to my salad, shred zucchini for breads and cakes, shred apples, etc. Man I miss that thing!!

This is so true! I love to shred carrots, onion and celery and add them all sorts of dishes - especially love to sauté them up and cook with rice.

You might like to look up various recipes to make sofrito - a (basically) peppers and onion relish used as a saute base in a lot of island dishes. I had something called arroz con gandules ("rice with pigeon peas") on a recent vacation, just made it from scratch myself. The basic approach is what you mentioned above.

Many of the sofrito ingredient lists include ingredients not available at my local stores (culantro, for instance - so I substitute more cilantro), Goya annatto and ham seasonings (I skipped the ham - which is actually TVP and thus vegan, and used a combo of turmeric and saffron to mimic annatto). There are lots of youtube videos on the rice dish and making sofrito. Goya has jarred safrito, but it's like salsa - i rather try making my own. The FP makes it easy.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    I have made two batches of hummus and three batches of salsa so far, I'm in love.

And I'm off to the library tonight:

v50pH5S.png

I'll have to see if my local library has any of these. I've been researching brute-force through targeted google/youtube lookups on a topic-by-topic basis. Thanks for the lead.

I made coconut-lime baked chicken the other night to go with an island rice dish. Had a bunch of the chicken left over today, made a summery chicken salad out of it to prolong its usable life - added veggies, skipped a mayo or yogurt creamy dressing, using lemon juice and a dash of EVOO instead. About 15 minutes using my larger FP, including time to juice a couple of lemons by hand.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    vkr2q7 wrote: »
    susanp57 wrote: »
    Hummus. Hummus, Hummus, Hummus.
    Just came here to say this! I make an unacceptable amount of hummus in my food processor for one person.

isn't hummus an essential daily food group all by itself? LOL ...
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's here! I've named him Roberto:

I sliced and shredded everything for ham and cheese scalloped potatoes in under 15 minutes. I'm in love.
    I love ham salad (using fully cooked ham)adding spices , a bit of mayo & sweet pickles.

I have a way older Kitchen Aid FP that is such a champ.Still chops frozen cranberries,onions,carrots & celery etc.Could never get rid of it........but a FP that slices potatoes is just what I need.Would you share the brand nameof yours? BTW,I also like to knead bread.Have you checked out the King Arthur flour site? Lots of info there.