Do you record all your fruits and veggies??

Options
I'm just getting started recording my food and was curious if you feel it's necessary to record all veggies? I can understand recording fruit due to the high amount of carbs/sugars, but I don't feel it's necessary to record low cal veggies cooked without oil like cucumber, zucchini, squash, lettuce, etc... Its basically just me not wanting to have to record all my veggies, but I don't want to skip it if it's going to hurt my chances of losing weight. Any thoughts/advice??

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I think 95% of us do.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,423 Member
    Options
    I weigh/measure everything, veggies& fruit add up, some are higher in calories than others
  • grammageegee
    grammageegee Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I record EVERYTHING!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    It's important to log everything, the point of the app is to be aware of how many calories it takes to maintain/lose/gain and to eat according to that so that we can successfully and accurately achieve our goals.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    100s of calories per day. Of course.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I record everything I eat.
  • Capergirl11
    Capergirl11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I Weigh, measure and record everything I eat.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Add another tally for logging everything. Once you get going, it won't seem like as much of a burden. There are lots of ways to make it easier on yourself - if you frequently eat the same things, you can save combinations as either meals or recipes and add several things with one click. Individual items you've already logged also get saved so it gets easier to just click the items instead of searching for them in the database.

Logging from the app can be even easier as well. If you start typing an item, it will auto complete from things in your history.
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I don't record veggies if they're on my salad in small quantities, like a tablespoon of peppers or a radish. I will always count fruit, as they have more calories most of the time. It's hard to get every ounce. Get a scale and make sure you measure out a cup (etc) until you're comfy with it. I went back to measuring after a month, and saw how big my portions were getting again. Just "eyeing it" isn't accurate enough. Not measuring a cup of lettuce won't hurt you though. Get that fiber!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My side salad tonight was around 60 calories before dressing and yes I logged it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I don't normally eat vegetables, but I log them when I do. It is important to log everything crossing your lips with even a single calorie. So the question is: Are vegetables part of everything crossing your lips with even a single calorie? If they are not a part of that, then don't log. If they are, then log it. The reasons to not worry about logging something are:
    1. They are not 'crossing your lips.' (i.e. you aren't eating it, so don't log it)
    2. They do not have a single calorie (such as water)*

Sometimes it is useful to log even non-caloric items for reasons unrelated to weight management.

• buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Log everything! That is the one truth. Lol
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my mouth, I log it.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I log veggies but I don't worry as much about exactness. It varies by veggie though, dense squashes for example I put a little more thought into logging them. That's also because I cook them with more calorie laden things like vinaigrette. I also log any oil I use to cook.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Wellllll I don't log veggies, but I'm probably not someone you should listen to, since I quit logging anything. But when I was logging, yes, I logged veggies. Even fresh spinach. Five ounces doesn't seem like much, but have you ever seen a five-oz pile of fresh spinach??
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @melcling Log every little thing, not because the old man says so, but because the only one who can make you succeed or fail is you. You succeed when you weigh and record all your food with a digital scale.
    You fail when you assert your superior knowledge with no evidence.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I used to log everything down to the gram. I now have a generic entry for vegetables with dinner as they don't vary much, it's the same sorta stuff every night and my dinner went cold far too many times before I was done. I also eyeball lettuce. Other than that, yes, it gets weighed.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Mustard, you don't have to weigh because any reasonable amount you'll use is still 0 calories.