2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Rajions wrote: »
    Which FitBit do you have

Its the charge 2

Ok, so the HR capability will be a source of your overestimation.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it just yet. You won't have ill effects eating your usual ~2300 per day in the short term even if the tracker's estimate is correct.

Eat like normal, or more if you find you're hungry. See what your weight does in a week or two and start eating more calorie dense food if you're losing too fast.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That thing's way off. To burn 3000 calories, most people would have to run for 3 hours straight. Think about that.

I work in retail and on a pretty active day (13,000+ steps) I can easily burn 3000 calories. I'm home from work now, have almost 14,500 steps and am at 2571 calories burned (almost 4 PM). And I'll have another 1500-2000 steps coming between now and midnight. If you're heavier and active, it's very possible.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Are all of these "burns" in addition to your TDEE? I'm asking because my friend had a fitbit and assumed she was burning 2,000 calories at work (part time preschool not anything laborious that would burn anything near that!) Im pretty sure that was her TDEE.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't trust that calorie burn at all
    You might just want to switch your activity level to moderate exercise to compensate for your new job.

3k calories is certainly possible as your TDEE with a workout thrown it on top of the job. You obviously don't want to eat it all back if losing weight.

If I was in your spot, I'd bring a 300 calorie Premier protein bar - 30g of protein and quick to eat.
  • Rajions
    Rajions Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    OP, do you mean you have burned over 3,000 calories for the total day or do you mean that you have a 3,000 calorie exercise adjustment synced from your Fitbit?

3,000 total for the day may make sense depending on your size and the number of steps that you took today. That doesn't mean you want to eat an additional 3,000 calories though.

Yeah it was 3000 for the day
  • Rajions
    Options
    Luckily gas stations have some pretty calorific foods. Mmm. Cheesy nachos.

I'm trying to stay healthy. Lol we already get free food from the counter and it's pretty unhealthy stuff.
  • Rajions
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Mine says 3000-4000 sometimes like when I walk for three to four hrs a day nonstop outside (often with a heavy backpack) and it's accurate for me. But what's your goal to lose or to maintain?

To lose
  • Rajions
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    That thing's way off. To burn 3000 calories, most people would have to run for 3 hours straight. Think about that.

I work in retail and on a pretty active day (13,000+ steps) I can easily burn 3000 calories. I'm home from work now, have almost 14,500 steps and am at 2571 calories burned (almost 4 PM). And I'll have another 1500-2000 steps coming between now and midnight. If you're heavier and active, it's very possible.

My doc said I was overweight, I know I'm overweight so I feel better that it is normal to burn 3000 calories at work
  • Rajions
    Options
    Diem78 wrote: »
    Eat breakfast. Then pre-plan and take snacks and eat 5 times on your 5 minute breaks. Or, when there's a lull and you aren't so busy. Then eat again when you get home. I eat 6 times per day, small bfast, snack, small lunch, snack, dinner, snack. It takes some pre-planning/packing... But it's not impossible!

That sounds like a good plan. It was just so sudden for me because I really didn't have time to plan. Now that I've been there a couple days, I can plan more accordingly. Thanks
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

It's not only counting her "active" calories. Fitbits' calorie indicators include the calories you burn just living in addition to any exercise calories. It tries to give you a picture of how much you burned in total throughout the entire day so you can plan meals etc accordingly
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

It's not only counting her "active" calories. Fitbits' calorie indicators include the calories you burn just living in addition to any exercise calories. It tries to give you a picture of how much you burned in total throughout the entire day so you can plan meals etc accordingly

In another thread the originator is massively overestimating calorie expenditure in deliberate exercise. I suspect this is another case of someone uncritically accepting the screen on a gadget, rather than assessing what it's telling her.