Time to start jogging

Options
2»

Replies

• khadijahgarner
    khadijahgarner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Girl let me tell you. I'm 160 and it is a struggle. I went for my first run in a long time and literally couldn't run for a whole minute straight. I was dying too but I pushed myself and paced myself. As long as you do too trust me it will be easier!!! Going for a run tomorrow
  • Lana_me
    Lana_me Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Girl let me tell you. I'm 160 and it is a struggle. I went for my first run in a long time and literally couldn't run for a whole minute straight. I was dying too but I pushed myself and paced myself. As long as you do too trust me it will be easier!!! Going for a run tomorrow

I also struggle to run a few minutes.

• 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    amc2509 wrote: »
    I would recommend the C25K programme

This.

• LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents :) I'm about 100lbs heavier than you and went from doing nothing to finishing a half last fall. But everyone's different so here's what worked for me - your proverbial mileage may vary.
    1) Run if you like running - if you don't like it find a different exercise.
    2) If both feet leave the ground at the same time, then you're running and if you run, then you're a runner. (I don't know about your area - in mine "jogging" and "jogger" tend to be negative terms.)
    3) I like the Galloway method - never attempted to run long distance straight through. Instead it's repeated cycles of run/walk, with length adjusted as you progress.
    4) Get a Gymboss timer - perfect for setting those intervals and allowed me never to have to overthink in a race - run when it beeps, walk on the next beep, run on the next, etc. Allows you to focus on the scenery, talking with run buddies, etc.
    5) IRL or online - find a running club that supports slow runners and make some run buddies - makes a huge difference in sticking with it.
    6) Pick a race - 5k's are perfect - do one that supports a charity you like or has a fun theme/medal - hundreds out there. And then train for it - and no matter how great or awful your training - go do it! There's nothing more energizing / inspiring then being out there with a bunch of other runners and crossing the finish line. And don't worry about being last - it happens to someone every time *grin* Usually me! But that brings me to
    7) Do it for you because you love doing it so never compare yourself to anyone else (or yourself from years ago). Start where you are, do what you can, and enjoy the journey!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    I know jogging is the best way to lose weight and keep fit. It has helped in the past, but now I'm at 169lbs I just find it so difficult! Maybe if my *kitten* and hips weren't so heavy, it might be easier! Its just so embarrassing, I can't even run a mile without gasping for air and wheezing heavily... like a pregnant obese woman. I'm not... pregnant that is, woman I am, but I'm struggling and would really appreciate having some jogging buddies for motivation, to share tips and struggles with!

I went on my first run yesterday in a long time through some woodlands... and I admit it was refreshing, but I had to catch my breath within minutes! But I kept going and felt better for it by the end.

Would really appreciate some tips for someone starting from the bottom again and some friends to help me in this journey.

Thank y'all! x
    Jogging is for fitness and health. HOW MUCH YOU CONSUME is how you lose weight regardless of any physical activity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• L412
    L412 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm just back at it.. I like LJgfgs #2 comment... I am running! Maybe slow and with more walking breaks than perhaps I would like but I am doing it!

I have done the C25k, and my past approaches have been 5 min run, 1 min walk and I cant get out of that comfort zone. This time I decided to listen to my body more. I have many many lbs on you and just slightly more height.

I have taken the approach of running 1km, walking until I have caught my breath (but no more than 3min) and then running the rest of the next 1km and repeating until I have reached 4k. Its not a lot but contrary to my prior approach my hope is the walking breaks will get shorter.

Let me know if you want to start a group to keep motivated! I know I could use the motivation