Burnt out. (vent)

Options

Replies

• dparizeau
    dparizeau Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Tough love warning... You wrote that you are cancelling plans and not going for a run because: "I have to stay glued to my tv for 30mins"

30 min?

Let' be real. You can do 30 minutes and still go out with your friends. You can do 30 min and still go for a run if you want.

That said, if you don't want to do it, don't do it.

My advice? You want to get in shape really? You want to have fun? Don't join a gym. Join CrossFit. There's no way to make you understand what you are missing unless you try it. There's a new you waiting out there. She LOOKS FORWARD to working out. She's strong. She's not complaining. And she's proud of how freakin' strong she is. You can talk yourself out of it, or you can just go do it.

Crossfit.

Good luck!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I don't do things I don't enjoy, period. I've learned that I don't need to set goals to stay fit and enjoy my work outs. When I do set goals I push myself too much and either get burnt out or get injured. If you're hating the work out then stop and find something else.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    dparizeau wrote: »
    Tough love warning... You wrote that you are cancelling plans and not going for a run because: "I have to stay glued to my tv for 30mins"

30 min?

Let' be real. You can do 30 minutes and still go out with your friends. You can do 30 min and still go for a run if you want.

My advice? You want to get in shape really? You want to have fun? Don't join a gym. Join CrossFit. There's no way to make you understand what you are missing unless you try it. There's a new you waiting out there. She LOOKS FORWARD to working out. She's strong. She's not complaining. And she's proud of how freakin' strong she is. You can talk yourself out of it, or you can just go do it.

Crossfit.

Good luck!

No offense to any crossfitters, but that just isnt for me. Lol. I cant afford the membership, let alone the time to make classes and etc.

Yes 30mins. but 30mins is a lot to someone like me who started out not in good shape. I don't go for runs after because I am completely worn out.

My boyfriend is very active and goes to the gym while I work out at home. He's agreed to help me once I join the gym. That way we both get quality time together, and still get to workout.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    dparizeau wrote: »

30 min?

Crossfit.

Good luck!

She already knows she wants to do Stronglifts. No need to try to dissuade her.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    Well, the ultimate goal is to create a lifestyle you can sustain, that will keep you in the body and health you want. If you are dreading this that much, there is 0 chance you are going to "sustain" it. We all need temporary "tools" to help in weight loss, but they can be looked at as temporary. THis was a great tool to get you into some discipline and routine and in that regard was totally successful. Quitting this particular program right now is only a failure if you lose those lessons.

This, and the rest of aylajane's quote is great. Another lesson learned is that maybe these types of TV multi-week programs just aren't for you. That in itself is valuable next time the next cool program comes along. Or maybe they're fine--but only during the winter when it's harder to be outside doing something else. I can't do those things either; I've learned that about myself by trying one or two. Now I don't bother; I know what's going to happen (the DVD will sit on the shelf). There are SO many options out there. There were definitely benefits to this JM experience for you; you figured it out, now let yourself go do what you think may help achieve your long-term goals. Have fun!

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    On the bright side, you've uncovered two major truths:

1) Workout DVDs are mostly marketing fluff
    2) Weight loss is mostly diet

If you like the traditional strength exercises then find a program that focuses on them. Get strong without wanting to blow your brains out. It seems you're already working towards that with your Stronglifts plan and will soon be uncovering major truth #3.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

If you like the traditional strength exercises then find a program that focuses on them. Get strong without wanting to blow your brains out. It seems you're already working towards that with your Stronglifts plan and will soon be uncovering major truth #3.

You can't leave us hanging like that... :/
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

3) Being strong is f*cking awesome.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

3) Being strong is f*cking awesome.

Perfect. I thought I was missing out on some other supreme truth. But nope! I'm totally in-the-know.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Fitness does not work this way, there is no magical program, be it a DVD, running, lifting, swimming or whatever that works for everyone. You get to try new things, and figure out what works for you. And when this starts becoming a chore, find something else.
    Someone else might love these DVDs, and still they might be no fun for you. Same as, if you try Stronglifts you might find this does not work for you either, and that's fine too. Try, and keep trying until you find something you think is interesting.
  • Butts_Boys_and_Burgers_ohmy
    Options
    Life is way too short to do things you don't enjoy. I say ditch the DVD's and find something you do like. And I don't think skipping a workout once in a while to spend time with family and friends is harmful - it's about balance. Good luck to you!
  • kfrodgers
    kfrodgers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    <DadHat>
    Quitting is a habit and every time you do it it gets a little easier. Don't quit unless you're hurt or unable to continue for another reason. Trust me you will feel a sense of accomplishment when you're all done. Don't give up.
    </DadHat>
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Toss the DVDs in the garbage, join a real gym and don't look back! Find something you love to do... lifting heavy, running, HIIT, group-X... whatever... find it and do that. In 30 days change something small about your routine and try something new and 30 days after that change it up again, and again... trust me, you'll never get bored. Exercise is supposed to make you feel good, not disappointed and lethargic. If you're that worn out it really isn't serving a purpose anyway other than wasting your time. This is a no - brainer. There are a million ways you could get fit and have the BEST time doing it. I train in a Muay Thai curriculum for fun but aside from that I run and lift heavy every day, I also box, do wavemaster, dance, all in group-X, do yoga, HIIT, cross fit, there's nothing out there you shouldn't try and if you don't like it quit and move onto something else. I tried a couple of spin classes once, I hated them, never took another and never will. Same with the whole Les Mills thing.. body pump, body combat.. no thank you!
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    OP - I did Insanity a few years ago and felt exactly as you did. What made things all better was switching to every other day workouts (as opposed to 6 days a week) which gave my body time to recover. It took twice as long to complete...but I did complete it and did not give up.

Good luck!
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You're not quitting the program- the program catfished you! If you were dating someone and thought they were one person, then it turned out you weren't a good match at all and they're not the person you thought they were (for the worse), you would stop dating them and find someone else to date, right?
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    maybe if you feel like you want to finish it but hate this phase just revert back to the workouts from a phase you enjoyed? Then you aren't quitting you're just adapting the program to suit your likes and dislikes?
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You're not quitting the program- the program catfished you! If you were dating someone and thought they were one person, then it turned out you weren't a good match at all and they're not the person you thought they were (for the worse), you would stop dating them and find someone else to date, right?

Kick his butt to the curb, i would! Haha

I think I have decided to go ahead and move to the next level of my DVDs honestly. you are suppose to do them 4 times each in the 2 weeks. Well, ive done levels 9/10 3 times each. So heck, i will just move on to the last two levels of 11/12 early. And if I absolutely hate those too? Then DVD's get shoved into a very dark corner in the closet. Atleast this way I wont feel like a total failure and "i never even made it to the final levels".

You guys have definitely boosted my morale on the whole thing, and i definitely feel less of a "failure".
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Exercise shouldn't be some kind of punishment...you're not going to get any brownie points for suffering. The idea of jumping around my living room to a DVD has never particularly interested me and I think most of that stuff is just fitness marketing junk anyway.

Early on, I tried really hard to be a runner because I always saw everyone running and thought to myself, "that's what fit people do"...I was miserable and dreaded every single run...fortunately I re-discovered my bike and I haven't looked back. I also like the fact that I can ride for general fitness and health, but also, I have a pretty solid base of fitness that is specific to cycling, so if I want to go race or participate in an event, I can just jump into a 6-8 week training program and go...my wife is the same way with running.

Also, I wouldn't look at going for a run instead of doing your DVD as "missing a workout"...you're going for a run...you're not missing a workout...you're doing a different workout, and that can in large part make a lot of difference in regards to burning out. I primarily cycle...but sometimes instead of a ride, I go to the rock climbing gym or for a hike in the mountains, or a swim...I don't view it as missing a workout...I'm just doing something different, and that keeps things interesting.

I think you're also going to need to find some balance...missing events, etc because you feel that you can't miss a workout isn't good. Life happens and life is to be enjoyed...part of that is exercise and fitness, but you also have to balance that out with other goings on...exercise doesn't stop with weight loss, so you need to get your mind wrapped around the long haul and see the bigger picture. Things happen and your fitness regimen needs to be flexible. My wife's aunt and uncle are coming in this weekend from London...I will probably be able to get my long ride in Saturday as they won't arrive until the evening, but my lifting on Sunday isn't happening...I'm ok with that...I'll pick up where I left off later in the week.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Since this is your first exercise routine, I would just consider it an experiment. Now that you have some experience, it's a great idea to reevaluate and adjust your goals and activities. You can stop doing a particular program without being a "quitter" on your overall goals and plan. Just substitute something else. Maybe a goal is to try 5 different programs/activities and learn which ones you like and want to continue. Or maybe you'll decide to switch things up every 6 weeks. It just depends on your personality and goals.
    You often see advice to newbies to ease into new things one step at a time and pace yourself!
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    So I'm going to go against the consensus here.

The issue is you are over training. You're burned out because you are overdoing it, and you feel enslaved to it. Take the weekend off. Take a few days off. Then come back to it. Any fitness expert will tell you that once you have built a solid base, taking a day or two off isn't going to sabotage your progress. And if you want to replace one of her workouts with a run or a fast bike ride, then do it. Anything that gets the heart rate up and the calories burning is exercise.

In 40 hours I run my 3rd marathon, and I'm at the point where I HATE, LOATHE, DESPISE running. I just want this stupid race over so I can get back to a normal life. But sometime next week--probably by Thursday--I'll be looking at my shoes, and I'll be itching to go for a run. It will be fun again because I'm not enslaved to a schedule. And then I'll see a race that interests me, and I'll be back at it again.

Of course, if you've NEVER enjoyed the program, no reason to stay with it. But if you were enjoying it at first, then a few days break is what your mind & body need.