Fake sugar?

2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    haloerich wrote: »
    Anyone cutting calories by replacing things with sugar free options (ie: coffee creamer) ? I have a calorie goal of 1200 as I'm mostly sedentary (desk job). I'm eating more fruits and veggies, but can't let go of my coffee. I've read terrible things about artificial sweeteners though. Any thoughts? Is one sweetener better than the other?

you can eat sugar and lose weight and be healthy ....

or you can use substitutes, your choice...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I weaned myself off of flavored creamers and now use a Tbl of 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee. Once in a while I will make a mocha with the same 1/2 & 1/2 and a Tbl of Walden Farms calorie free chocolate syrup (not very good tasting as a topping but makes a great mocha).

As far as artificial sweeteners, nothing wrong with them. Some may have allergic reactions to a particular one and people do have a taste preference but as a rule, they are safe, do not raise blood glucose, and can have a place in most people's eating plan.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    To me its either real food or a chemical. It doesn't matter if it is some confugulation of natural ingredients that are altered to make a "natural artificial sweetener". I eat sweets or don't have any sweeteners but never do the artificial route. My preference not required for all people.

Everything is chemicals
    And most sweeteners someone might use in coffee are altered (i.e., processed). The only major exception I know of is honey.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    You mentioned creamers. One thing you might consider is using either a dairy product or something like soy/almond/coconut/rice milk. You'd at least be getting some nutrition along with your coffee. The dairy ones are available in lowfat or nonfat.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    To me its either real food or a chemical. It doesn't matter if it is some confugulation of natural ingredients that are altered to make a "natural artificial sweetener". I eat sweets or don't have any sweeteners but never do the artificial route. My preference not required for all people.

Everything is chemicals

You'd think everyone skipped 7th grade chemistry class.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    GASP - adding things to coffee??? Bleck. I do enjoy cream on occasion or skim milk in an iced coffee - but if you come near my coffee with sugar, I might bite you.

OP - the sugar free creamers (coffee mate, international delight) are actually, pretty good. Artificial sweeteners get a bad rap because someone woke up and decided to pick a fight. As many has said, and the wonderful link that was posted - they are alright. I used to count my days until Pumpkin Spice creamer and Peppermint were available. (Sugar Free). Give those a shot, I think it's like 15 cal a serving? Not bad.
  • ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    I do. When at home though, fat free vanilla creamer. Work, I drink with cream and splenda.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2017
    The furthest I've ventured into artificial sweetener territory is xylitol and Truvia. I use them sometimes and very sparingly when i feel like a sweet coffee. Neither of these have had any negative associations tied to them as far as I'm aware.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I use Stevia, Truvia, or in a pinch Splenda. The local Wal-Mart sells Stevia in packets that are perfect for me at work, we use large cups for coffee and 2-3 of the packets gets it plenty sweet for 0 cals. There's just as much calories in the creamer though, even the powdered stuff, so if you drink a lot of coffee keep an eye on that.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    sarabushby wrote: »
    My understanding from various sources is that Stevia (which is what Truvia is) is the best of a bad bunch when it comes to artificial sweeeteners. It is the only one which was proven not to have an adverse effect on the gut and it doesn't have the bad rep for side effects that Aspartame and some of the others do. I can't remember the program I saw but there was one which definitely persuaded me that of them all, Stevia was the best to have.

just to correct something here for you - Stevia is not an artificial sweetener. It is processed (extracted) from a plant that has been used in South America for hundreds of years because of its sweet taste.

As for the artificial ones, just pick one that has a taste you can live with and use it.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    edited April 2017
    dfwesq wrote: »
    And most sweeteners someone might use in coffee are altered (i.e., processed). The only major exception I know of is honey.

Most honey on the shelves is processed, unless it's raw. Not saying you can't eat filtered/pasteurized honey if you want to, use whichever you prefer, just saying don't assume it isn't processed because it's honey.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    haloerich wrote: »
    I unfortunately have a coffee dependence. The migraines are rough without it. And see no reason to torture myself with black coffee. I've been using regular creamer and cutting the calories elsewhere, but I figure if I can eat more of something else with better nutritional value and cut the calories back in my unhealthy addiction it will be better.

I used to drink coffee with milk & sugar. Tried switching to a no-cal sweetener but even though I drink diet soda, I couldn't stand them in coffee. I think there is something in the aftertaste that reacts with the bitterness in coffee to me.

I just kept slowly backing off the sweetness I needed, little by little, until I got to a place where the calories were low enough and I still loved the taste.

You can try unsweetened vanilla soy or almond milk. I also find that I prefer unsweetened coffee with a fattier milk - like cream or even 2% than when I used to use 1% or skim.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Carnation (and other brands) make sugar free liquid creamers that are pretty good. Something like that might give you what you want and lower the sugar content. They are not 0 calorie though. I do believe they are also making some almond-milk variations of the same creamers, no idea on sugar content though on those. The problem I have with them is that there are 20-30 wonderful flavors available but only 2-3 that are sugar free.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    I use mainly artificial/low cal sweeteners if I add any, have for many years, and Im not growing two heads yet. Use whichever you like the taste of, if one gives you any kind of unpleasant response, don't use it. :)

I nearly cut out coffee though because I dont actually like the taste of coffee, I love the taste of the cream I used <3 I occasionally use a kcup thats already been fixed up though, just because I like warm drinks in the morning. I just find I use so much cream (nondairy creamer is bleah) its just a huge calorie expense. "2 tbsp" like others use is nowhere NEAR enough for me. I basically added a little coffee to my cream :blush:

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    I have gone back and forth about aspartame ("blue" sweetener), and finally decided that I enjoy it enough to use it. I am aware that it breaks down into small amounts of methanol in your gut, but these quantities are well within safety limits (and are equivalent to levels found in many foods).

I used to think it gave me all sorts of problems, including headaches and stomach aches, but I found out that it was really diet coke that gave me those problems. I don't seem to have any problems consuming it in hot or iced tea.