Highest weight or Lowest weight

Options
2»

Replies

• Wd011000
    Wd011000 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a follow up question related to the OP's question: I have been weighing every day (morning, naked, after toilet) for almost a month and have a wide range of numbers. Should I take an average (which is better-mean or mode?)? I get asked my weight at the Red Cross when I donate blood. They don't need an exact weight, but it would be nice to know my average weight and how close to goal I actually am.
  • sparkofit
    sparkofit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning/lowest weight as a baseline since my weight fluctuates throughout the day based on fiber, water retention, sodium intake, food, etc.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself Monday through Friday daily under the same conditions in time. I only logged it once maybe twice a week now at the most.

I really use it as a reference now and more out of curiosity as part of the learning process to see how my weight fluctuates depending on different conditions. I'll always weigh myself under the same conditions in time, it's a way of keeping myself in check and a reality check. I don't want to go back to where I was before.

As far as my weight, I tell people I'm about 208 which is what I am
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing in the morning. I won't weigh at the end of the day when I'm full of food and water, doing this will skew the numbers. I can easily put on 2lbs after just a few cups of tea and coffee.
  • yogeshvaraom
    yogeshvaraom Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I weigh consistently right before breakfast, but if I'm very active I may weigh myself again later, or if I happen to be home and changing clothes. I like to witness the shifts, but I only record low weight each day. It feels optimistic to me. Like I'm giving myself credit for getting that low.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    kclewis416 wrote: »
    I always take my highest weight for the day instead of my lowest weight for the day as my overall weight when I am telling people my weight, entering in information etc. I do this basically because I can gain anywhere from 3-6 lbs depending on what I eat/drink or what time of the month it is.

I read people should take their weight the same time every day for accurate readings and that is fine and makes total sense.. I am just curious for your own personal reasons whatever that may be, do you say your weight is your highest or lowest weight?

I don't tell people my weight.

However, I do weigh myself second thing in the morning.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I weigh once in the AM, 1st thing...if i dont like what i see i pee, kick the scale and try again until i see what i like!
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning and track it so I can see overall progress. Day to day weight can fluctuate enough just depending on when I ate dinner, how big it was, how hydrated I am, etc. so I am more interested in the trend than the instantaneous result.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I weigh what ever I weigh first thing in the morning. It will most likely be something different tomorrow a.m. by a couple of ounces even up or down a pound.

I use a trending app, so realistically if someone was to ever ask me my weight, which is never by the way, I would use the trending weight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Wd011000 wrote: »
    I have a follow up question related to the OP's question: I have been weighing every day (morning, naked, after toilet) for almost a month and have a wide range of numbers. Should I take an average (which is better-mean or mode?)? I get asked my weight at the Red Cross when I donate blood. They don't need an exact weight, but it would be nice to know my average weight and how close to goal I actually am.

I suggest that you log your daily weights in an app like Happy Scale, Libra, or Trendweight (depending on operating system). It will give you a trend line and moving average weight. I would take mean over mode, but you can visually see both on a graphing app like these.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, first thing in the morning after I've been to the toilet. But if its for a medical reason or a form, whatever I usually say i'm a couple of kilos heavier than I am just in case.
  • cmoll520
    cmoll520 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I weight once a day a day and do record it. I record it because I like having the data. That way when my weight jumps up (usually a couple spikes a month related to hormones, etc) I can look back at the data and reassure myself it's a similar pattern as I'd experienced the month before.