Help

Options
Everyday is a struggle to avoid my temptation for sugar. I've tried avoiding, removing from house, and images of healthy food. Also I've pictured how I wanna look. I don't know what to do. I'm tracking everything and pre planning. Today I ate 4 donuts and a shake and am now over 1,200 calories for the day and it's only noon. What can I do to avoid these cravings or control them. It's like I obsess about them.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I found pre-logging my food for the day, before breakfast, helped me. I knew how many calories I had to play with throughout the day. If someone brought doughnuts to work, I can look at my already completed diary and decide if and how I want to make the doughnut fit. Sometimes I have a doughnut, sometimes I don't.

I also include dessert every night (200-300 calories). Candy or ice cream usually. I love ending my day this way, so I'd have to give this up to eat the doughnut earlier in the day.
  • crowed1993
    crowed1993 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Add me
  • strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Don't think of elephants, don't think of elephants, don't think of elephants... It's really hard to let go of something when you're so focused on it. I recommend finding something else to be the focus of your attention. When you have that craving for that which shall remain unnamed, immerse yourself in your diversionary preoccupation. And really, don't think of elephants.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Shifting focus seems like a good idea. Sometimes, I will take a walk or drink a glass of water or a cup of tea. Other times, I will shift my food plans around to fit in the donut. I also have things that "trigger" unhealthy cravings- the worst for me is pizza. Even healthier, veggie-based pizzas make me want to eat 1) all of it and 2) drink a lot of soda (which I cut down on as an earlier healthy journey step). Now, I don't deny myself pizza or soda, but I plan for it in my day ahead of time when I want it and I know that it makes me want all of these other things. A classic example is alcohol- give me some beer/wine and I want to eat ALL THE THINGS. I have learned a small glass of wine with pre-portioned snacks with allow me to keep control but still enjoy wine. I honestly try to make sure I don't remove the things I know I will eat for the rest of my life, I just try and find ways to keep myself from overindulging.

Also- I know it feels bad to go over, but don't give up. One bad day is not going to stop you- in the future, you may have a big birthday party or Christmas dinner or Halloween sale candy and go over again. So figuring out how to deal with those situations will help you in the longer term too. It is hard, but look at the Success Stories section and know that it can be done and you can do it.

Good luck.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    tanyagange wrote: »
    Everyday is a struggle to avoid my temptation for sugar. I've tried avoiding, removing from house, and images of healthy food. Also I've pictured how I wanna look. I don't know what to do. I'm tracking everything and pre planning. Today I ate 4 donuts and a shake and am now over 1,200 calories for the day and it's only noon. What can I do to avoid these cravings or control them. It's like I obsess about them.

Maybe you are a compulsive eater like me?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    tanyagange wrote: »

Maybe you are a compulsive eater like me?

I'm afraid this is going to sound snarky, but I'm asking in true sincere interest. What does being a "complusive eater" mean?
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Can you find a way to indulge in (comparatively) low-calorie sweet treats?