Old runner coming back to running

Options
Okay question I probably know the answer but still like other people's opinions. I used to be able to run miles upon miles not that fast but had the endurance. Back in 09 at the young age of 35 had a massive heart attack, ended up with cancer lung issues shoulder an knee surgeries. Feel into depression gained over a hundred lbs. well I've been working out now for almost two months have lost 25 lbs. I started doing speed training on treadmill. Walking at a 3 for a min an half going to a 5.3 at 3% grade for 30 sec for twenty mins. I feel like I'm cheating myself, but I don't want injuries so I'm holding back. Should I keep doing this every other day for a week or so. Start a C25K or try an run a little. Thx

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    You're less likely to get injured by running slow and easy with less incline. Doing run/walk is a good way to get started running again, just make sure that the running portions are easy. Farther is better at this point than faster. C25k is a good program, or you can make up your own.
  • msdemeanor70
    msdemeanor70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree going for distance is better than speed. You'll get faster naturally as you run more. Though I haven't used it, I've heard nothing but good things about C25K. Good luck whichever way you decide.
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I agree going for distance is better than speed. You'll get faster naturally as you run more. Though I haven't used it, I've heard nothing but good things about C25K. Good luck whichever way you decide.

I hear it a lot you'll get faster the more you run all I ever did was run further no complaints thou I miss it so much. I have to make myself not push to hard.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options

I hear it a lot you'll get faster the more you run all I ever did was run further no complaints thou I miss it so much. I have to make myself not push to hard.

That's normal, at least for me. I think when running is in your blood, it's hard for your brain not to understand your body. As someone who's had a love hate relationship, being a life time runner - I get it. After a "break" it was hard to stomach I can't run as fast or as far as I used to. I'd take a leisurely stroll along the lake at 8 min mile pace for 8 miles and barely break a sweat, not now. haha.

Just because you COULD do it, doesn't mean you CAN do it right now. Slow is the way to go. I like to go out for 30 minutes. In those 30 min, run as long as I can comfortably. When it starts to get harder than conversation pace, walk for a minute to recover and repeat until the 30 minutes are gone. If I only run 10 out of the 30 and walk 20 - who cares, try to run further next time.

It's not worth rushing, getting injured will completely take you out of running, so what's the harm in taking it easy for a while? From one runner to another - welcome back!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    if you are the sort of person with a tendency to push too hard, then definitely try and follow a structured programme and STICK TO IT. If you try and make something up yourself you'll go overboard.

There's lots of c25k apps out there which gives prompts on when to walk and when to run. From there maybe go to a Bridge to 10k.

Far far better to go slowly - you are coming back from a significant health issue. Also check with your doctor.
  • chiltonenator
    chiltonenator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great job on the getting back to it! Moving is a great anti-depressant!

Check out the Jeff Galloway programs. He advocates run/walk and stresses getting enough rest between sessions. Keep up the walking and maybe start throwing some 10 second runs in and see how it feels. Don't be in a big hurry. Your body has been through a lot and needs to adapt over time.