Personal Trainers - Worth the $$$?

dubble818
dubble818 Posts: 132 Member
I recently finished 7 sessions with a personal trainer. I've learned a lot about proper form and gotten some pretty good ideas for lifting routines, etc. I have to admit that the workouts have been fantastic and that missing sessions is way less likely when you're paying in advance to see them.

I'd be looking at about 5 grand to continue working with him for a year. Which means no vacation, but totally doable. Would you do it?

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    $5k seems a lot but when I add up what I pay it's not far off that amount. I find it best not to tally up the total amount cause that freaks me out. I make it work within my budget because having my awesome trainer is a must for me. You need to be really clear about your goals as it is a lot of money.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I personally have the ability to show up and do the work. I might pay for a trainer once a month to freshen up my routine but not weekly or biweekly sessions
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Personally, no.
    I can take what I learnt and build on it.

A year is a long comitment. Is that what you have to do?
    I would consider an 8-12 week term, or a monthly/bi-monthly consult.

It really depends on you. Are you an anilitical self starter, or someone who likes guidance. Both are good, you just have to know you.

Cheers, h.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Depends on my fitness goals.

I wouldn't pay that much for general fitness. I can figure out that much on my own, or in a couple of week's worth of sessions if there's a form issue I need fixed.

If I'm gearing up for an competitive event and I'm serious about it, I might. But only if I thought there was useful info that isn't easy to find, or equipment that I get access to that otherwise I wouldn't, or that I needed the extra push for motivation. I'd need to see $5000 worth of benefit in the deal.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    A year plan seems like a very long time, but you don't state your fitness goals.

When I restarted this journey I paid for a professional body builder to coach me on proper form and what to focus on. She stressed the perfection of form and we practiced with broomsticks for the first few sessions before advancing to weights - the idea being that bad form is often hidden by weight. In my case this was absolutely worth it. I still follow up with her from time to time when I hit a snag. Very pleased with the results and have minimized injuries and on a solid progression.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    A year plan seems like a very long time, but you don't state your fitness goals.

When I restarted this journey I paid for a professional body builder to coach me on proper form and what to focus on. She stressed the perfection of form and we practiced with broomsticks for the first few sessions before advancing to weights - the idea being that bad form is often hidden by weight. In my case this was absolutely worth it. I still follow up with her from time to time when I hit a snag. Very pleased with the results and have minimized injuries and on a solid progression.

IMO, for someone working out for general fitness this is the way to go. The trainer should "teach you to fish", as opposed to giving you a fish. Great to learn from someone that is knowledgeable but after a while, couple months maybe (I would think in most cases less than a year) a trainee could go on their own and check back in on a monthly or semi-monthly basis for progressions, program suggestions.

• LJOMalley
    LJOMalley Posts: 8 Member
    My $16 a week gym membership is the only commitment I need to keep me motivated. I am like Jenny, I don't have a spare $5k per year and I can't afford holidays. For my $832 yearly investment I get free classes, free advice from the floor staff and 24 hour access to the best gym I have ever joined. I have a friend joining me now and we alternately pick each other up everyday so we can not sleep in and skip a session. If you can afford to blow $5k on trainers then go for it. You are keeping someone else in a job which is never a bad thing
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I personally think they are worth every penny...IF you get the right one.

Sometimes just feeling them out to see if they are the right fit first is important though.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    It depends on what your future goals are. If you aren't going to be, for an example, a powerlifter or weightlifter, then do your workouts on your own and save the $$ or if you feel you need to, have a training session once/week. I'm a competitive powerlifter and because I'm older (I'm 58), it's critical for me to work with a trainer because I need a spotter for benching and squatting. I probably spent more than $5K but he's worth every penny because if it wasn't for his diet advice, programming, etc. I wouldn't be as successful as I am today
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Depends on the person and the trainer. Some trainers are glorified rep counters, others will actually help you accomplish your goals.

I agree depends on the person, if you are motivated, do you own research, learn your body, execute with precision (nutrition / workouts) there is no reason for a personal trainer.

if you lack two or more of the above qualities, you more then likely need someone to help learn the foundation.

Also to elaborate on the motivation factor, some mean well, really well, but just need that guiding hand to help them achieve their goals. If you are this category I'm sure you would probably spend what ever you had to achieve your success.
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Caution this is a tale of it going wrong. The credentials need to be on point, I did work with a personal trainer at a gym and it was horrible. One the gym staff were not competent with their billing, and after repeating that billing information 6 times, they still messed up and nearly ruined my sisters credit (we were doing partner personal training). They ruined my entire experience at the gym by not informing her of the issue, and then informing me about her outstanding balance, not because she wasn't paying it, but because they could not do their accounting right or contact her. Extreme laziness and that made me uncomfortable. They had a rotating door of front desk workers as no one was a long term employee at that desk except senior staff who only worked day shifts. Absolutely all forms need to be filled out correctly with you having copies, with dates and payment plan in advance. Now for the actual trainer, I did my sessions, and I made a folder in the beginning with my weight and measurements, the facility lost it. It took 2 months and me asking at 3 sessions for it to be redone, and it was. Then it was hard as hell to get good times to do our training sessions, as my sister cancelled/I had a one week of work outside the country/or my trainer had vacation. Which was cool we were managing but really I lost a month of service, and my partner in this training sucked, but I still went and put in the work. I asked basic questions about how many calories, even an estimate, for what he was asking me to do, he did not know the answer. I asked him to look at my food logging and I was packing on muscle and gaining weight but how could I track that if my measurements weren't recorded? I asked to speak with a nutritionist which would use one of my sessions, which I agreed too, the nutritionist was out sick for 3 months with herpes zoster which ok I understand but no replacement after all that time? And I brought all this up with him about the banking at the front desk, calories for workout, repeat measurements from month to month to track progress, food logging, nutritionist visit etc. I asked questions, no response, didn't bother to follow up or anything at all. I have a health science background essentially I was utterly wasting my time with this system and louse of a trainer, it was total preying on people for using a personal trainer when they didn't need one. I joined because it was a good deal and my sister agreed to pay for it for me but it was a waste and became a nightmare situation just because they were asking me to fulfill absolutely every role in the gym which was the customer, the trainee, an information resource for questions relating to muscles and injuries for the trainers, and accountant as most of the people doing the front desk paperwork were so incompetent that towards the end I was directing them where the forms were, and how to fill them out, as well as ensuring it was done correctly and with receipts. If your trainer is good it is worth it. If it is a gym pushing it on you run, run faster and further then you ever have before in the opposite direction.
    This was long. I am sorry about that.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    IMHO worth every penny I spend on him.

I could not have progressed from hospital rehab to where I am now without one. That was four years ago but I still take an hour a week with my PT. Probably always will.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,494 Member
    rayz2020 wrote: »
    As a fitness professional myself, it really does depend on you. Yes, $5,000 a year is a lot. But often times, if we re-evaluate our budgets, we spend a lot on things we don't need. (Takeouts all of the time, tshirts and more clothes we never wear, random things around the house, spontaneous purchases, precooked foods) By cutting back, we probably will save $5,000 a year anyway. A little less than $100 a week. We really only have one body. Invest in your health before a brand new sofa.

Now that the traditional speech is out of the way, long term personal training isn't for everyone. A bulk of sessions for a while followed by a biweekly session with a fantastic program would do the trick. If you need the motivation and accountability (which makes it a service industry) then stick to personal training. That is more valuable than most think. Often times I suggest bootcamps and group fitness because it is within budget. Or online training if you just want programs. Personal trainers are great. Try them out consistently and stick to the program for at least 6 months and you won't regret it.
    People who usually think PT's are a waste of money are people who are pretty much already in shape. Lol, why would they need a trainer?
    People that do need them are people who can't seem to figure it out and aren't getting anywhere after spending time (or lack there of in the gym because of no guidance) in the gym.
    And cost and worth is subjective to each and every person. I'll spend good money on gym clothes, but not on jeans or dress up clothing because it's not important to me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    edited April 2017
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    rayz2020 wrote: »
    As a fitness professional myself, it really does depend on you. Yes, $5,000 a year is a lot. But often times, if we re-evaluate our budgets, we spend a lot on things we don't need. (Takeouts all of the time, tshirts and more clothes we never wear, random things around the house, spontaneous purchases, precooked foods) By cutting back, we probably will save $5,000 a year anyway. A little less than $100 a week. We really only have one body. Invest in your health before a brand new sofa.

Now that the traditional speech is out of the way, long term personal training isn't for everyone. A bulk of sessions for a while followed by a biweekly session with a fantastic program would do the trick. If you need the motivation and accountability (which makes it a service industry) then stick to personal training. That is more valuable than most think. Often times I suggest bootcamps and group fitness because it is within budget. Or online training if you just want programs. Personal trainers are great. Try them out consistently and stick to the program for at least 6 months and you won't regret it.
    People who usually think PT's are a waste of money are people who are pretty much already in shape. Lol, why would they need a trainer?
    People that do need them are people who can't seem to figure it out and aren't getting anywhere after spending time (or lack there of in the gym because of no guidance) in the gym.
    And cost and worth is subjective to each and every person. I'll spend good money on gym clothes, but not on jeans or dress up clothing because it's not important to me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I totally agree,

Most people don't really have the time to spend learning all the nutrition and workouts. It takes tons of time to develop such knowledge and really practice the science, we must respect the trainers. Trainers have invested a lot of energy / time to help others around them succeed.

However I was really poor growing up and when I was overweight originally I had to learn everything on my own from Flex Magazine (LOL) and talking to other gym rats. I just ate, trained and monitored how my body responded got tons of notebooks filled to the brim from statistics (weight, progressive 1RM's and such) It wasn't easy but I feel after about 4 years I really knew how my body reacted. My point of this boring story is that if you cant afford it you can still achieve your goals with motivation, hard work, and the scientific method haha.